OT-Happy St. Andrew's Day

Old Nov 29, 06, 4:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ICN / 평택
Programs: AA, DL Silver, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 8,563
OT-Happy St. Andrew's Day

To our Scottish FT friends---a very Happy St. Andrew's Day (I know it is tomorrow, not today) and best wishes for the remainder of the year.
etch5895 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 4:53 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 266
Ṃran taing etch5895!

Many thanks!
djb25 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 4:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,458
Originally Posted by etch5895
To our Scottish FT friends---a very Happy St. Andrew's Day (I know it is tomorrow, not today) and best wishes for the remainder of the year.
Well if we want to get our greetings in early why not Merry Christmas!
aristoph is online now  
Old Nov 29, 06, 4:57 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,001
Originally Posted by aristoph
Well if we want to get our greetings in early why not Merry Christmas!
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.
PhilH is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:07 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
And a gentle reminder that this is now the London Airways forum, so could all our Scottish friends remember that they are foriegn guests from now on.
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,458
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
And a gentle reminder that this is now the London Airways forum, so could all our Scottish friends remember that they are foriegn guests from now on.
And please restrict their postings to the English language! (Or Latin.)
aristoph is online now  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:17 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
Originally Posted by aristoph
And please restrict their postings to the English language! (Or Latin.)

And their "national airline" website proudly annouces that it is "operated by Greece Airways"
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:36 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,001
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
And a gentle reminder that this is now the London Airways forum, so could all our Scottish friends remember that they are foriegn guests from now on.
Talking of the English language, "foreign" is an exception to the rule "i before e except after c".
PhilH is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:38 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
Originally Posted by PhilH
Talking of the English language, "foreign" is an exception to the rule "i before e except after c".
as well as an exception to the normal rules about pronouncing the letter "G" ?
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:45 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire borders, England [home].
Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Posts: 6,154
Originally Posted by Smirnoff

And a gentle reminder that this is now the London Airways forum, so could all our Scottish friends remember that they are foriegn guests from now on.
This raises in my mind the following question:

If, as featured in the UK press in recent days, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland were to break up into separate entities of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, would British Airways feel compelled to rename itself?

I just did a check - there already exists an englishairways.co.uk web-site. Nothing to do with BA though.
Phil the Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 5:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, Sydney
Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Posts: 3,114
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
as well as an exception to the normal rules about pronouncing the letter "G" ?

I thought the rule was that G before N in the same syllable is not pronounced.

eg feign, gnaw, gnocchi, and to bring it back OT, "gnib", which describes how best to present yourself if hoping for an upgrade.

James
James S is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,458
Originally Posted by James S
eg feign, gnaw, gnocchi, and to bring it back OT, "gnib", which describes how best to present yourself if hoping for an upgrade.
I'm not sure you want to include the pure Italian word gnocchi in that list as the correct pronunciation is n-yokee.
aristoph is online now  
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:19 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
Originally Posted by James S
I thought the rule was that G before N in the same syllable is not pronounced.
and this is a ??????
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Posts: 4,001
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
And, somewhat wonderfully, I believe the collective noun is an improbability of Gnu.
PhilH is offline  
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:34 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, Sydney
Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Posts: 3,114
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Timed out for some reason.

But I can see you are talking about a gnu, another example of a silent G. Though as Aristoph points out words taken directly from other languages, in gnu's case Hottentot, can be the subject of debate re pronounciation.

Sorry really OT now, but I wonder if there any words with "gn" where the G is pronounced, ie the proverbial exception to the rule?
James S is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread