Wiki Posts
Search

New Matress and Turndown Service in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI
New Matress and Turndown Service in F

Has anyone else had an experience of the new matress in F with the new cotton duvet? I thought that it was a definate improvement. Does anyone else agree?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Certainly! Flew in F CPT-LHR on the BA42 on Saturday, I had a lovely afternoon nap in my softer surroundings.

It was a 5* FIRST experience in terms of service and comfort. Even though this is a totally day flight, you still get PJs, slippers, duvet, mattress...

Pics to follow soon plus mini trip report!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The new cotton duvet and fluffy pillow is a great improvement. Travelling F from LHR to SFO the other week, this was without doubt the shining light of the service. Everything else was decidedly disappointing (once again)

Flew back in J and I must add that I found the updated bedding in CW to be a massive improvement on the previous offering. Relatively speaking, the gap between F and J is closing fast and with the consistently excellent service I have received in J over the past four years, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify the expense of F.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Turquoise - regular user of N class fares!
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Has anyone else had an experience of the new matress in F with the new cotton duvet? I thought that it was a definate improvement. Does anyone else agree?
I've always wondered what "turndown" service is - keep seeing it in hotels. Always seems like one of those things you only know if you're a "regular". Anyone enlighten this inexperienced boy?
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:09 pm

I did not know what that mattress thing was until I got back to Malta and read about it on FT. On my last LGW-ATL flight in F I ended up using the mattress as a sound barrier against a screaming infant in F.

The crew never said anything about a turn-down service and the mattress was not there on the return night flight. Weird.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by speedbird_agent
I've always wondered what "turndown" service is - keep seeing it in hotels. Always seems like one of those things you only know if you're a "regular". Anyone enlighten this inexperienced boy?
In hotels it usually involves
-drawing the curtains
-dimming the lights
-removing the bedspread and making the bed ready to sleep in. i.e. leaving just a sheet and duvet, with a corner tucked in, to let you just jump in to bed.
-Also might get a mint on the pillow, water on the bedside table etc.

On aircraft I've experienced it most recently on SQ and SA F. It involved the FA closing the window shades, converting the seat into the bed in full-flat mode, placing a thin mattress on top and opening out the duvet and spreading it on the seat too. And a bottle of water is usually handed out too.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon

On aircraft I've experienced it most recently on SQ and SA F. It involved the FA closing the window shades, converting the seat into the bed in full-flat mode, placing a thin mattress on top and opening out the duvet and spreading it on the seat too. And a bottle of water is usually handed out too.
Same in VS UC.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
-drawing the curtains
-dimming the lights
-removing the bedspread and making the bed ready to sleep in. i.e. leaving just a sheet and duvet, with a corner tucked in, to let you just jump in to bed.
You missed the strategic placing of the breakfast-in-room menu somewhere where you might notice it and fill it in (and rack up your room charges).

And in one or two places I've stayed in it also involves slippers being placed on a mat beside the bed and (always welcome) refreshing of all the Hermes toiletries you've already stashed somewhere else.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
You missed the strategic placing of the breakfast-in-room menu somewhere where you might notice it and fill it in (and rack up your room charges).
Gosh yes! Forgot the cards. The in-room brekkie card, the charity donation pamphlet, the Green don't-replace-my-sheets card among others. Sometimes they actually leave something useful like the next day's weather forecast!

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
And in one or two places I've stayed in it also involves slippers being placed on a mat beside the bed and (always welcome) refreshing of all the Hermes toiletries you've already stashed somewhere else.
Indeed!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:53 pm

-drawing the curtains
-dimming the lights
Personally, the little mint chocolate placed on the pillow is what really makes me happy.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:00 pm

Gosh yes! Forgot the cards. The in-room brekkie card, the charity donation pamphlet, the Green don't-replace-my-sheets card among others. Sometimes they actually leave something useful like the next day's weather forecast!
At the Four Seasons - you get all of the above, plus your fruit replenished (unless you want to keep him ), further water, ice bucket, towels replaced, bathroom cleaned up and bins emptied. That's one of the reasons why the FS is the muts' nuts.

Last edited by The Saint; Nov 28, 2006 at 2:06 pm
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
teddy bear on bed at some Conrads on your first night
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kibison
I did not know what that mattress thing was until I got back to Malta and read about it on FT. On my last LGW-ATL flight in F I ended up using the mattress as a sound barrier against a screaming infant in F.

The crew never said anything about a turn-down service and the mattress was not there on the return night flight. Weird.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Saint
your fruit repleneshed (unless you want to keep him ),
Originally Posted by Moomba
bear on bed at some Conrads
Blimey, and to think some of us have been settling for just the brekkie order cards at turn-down!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Some memorable turn-down moments from my honeymoon! We did a tented-camp safari at Lewa Downs and the Masai, and at Lewa, they'd leave a couple of soap-stone hippos on the pillows, which was a nice touch. We then flew on to Le Saint Geran in Mauritius, and the turn-down always involved leaving freshly baked cakes or chocolates, and occasionally flowers on the bed. One night, the flowers had a bit of an ant problem! We had to summon the butler to remake the bed!

So now I'm torn for my F redemption in June - currently returning on the earlier ex-YVR departure, but this doesn't get the turn-down, but DOES get in in time for the arrivals lounge (although likely to miss breakfast), whereas the late departure, which has availability last time I looked, will get the turn-down (post 8pm departure), but the arrivals lounge will be closed. Opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.