OT: Travelex LGW North kicks me out

Old Nov 28, 06, 9:12 am
Original Poster

OT: Travelex LGW North kicks me out

Okay, most of you do not know me but please do allow me the indulgence one OT post that does have a loose connection to BA.

I would like to ask everybody's patience, should it be required, when collecting pre-ordered currency at Travelex at LGW North before boarding your BA flight . Yesterday, the gent whose job it was to prepare the orders was made redundant. He has been paid in lieu of notice and left the premises immediately.

Today, I received the same. I too had responsibility for the prepaid orders as well as being the Stock Cashier for the North Terminal.

Unfortunately, it would appear that at present nobody has responsibility for these pre-paid orders and they are being done on an ad hoc basis by a fantastic French lady called Carine. To make matters worse, on top of this she must also perform my tasks and her own.

I therefore request that should you arrive to collect your currency and a problem is encountered please please please do not take it out on these who have been left in an avoidable situation by local management. Feel free to contact customer services and voice your concerns though.

And if you are ever told by a member of Travelex staff at LGW North that your required currency is unavailable , you may like to say "It was never like this when Adam worked here was it" accompanied by a grin and wink would be truly appreciated.

They are a great bunch of workers who continue to do their best in very difficult circumstances.

Just for clarification - I am not bitter. I am glad to leave and being paid to do so is fantastic. I just feel for those left behind and ask you for your understanding should you experience difficulties there in the next week or so.

I suppose that I should start job hunting

Now where's that thread in omni about "Recruit an FTer??"
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:43 am

Hey Adam, really sorry to hear you have lost your job at travelex. I am sure I would have been served by you at some point or another.

Ok to keep the thread relavent, BA are recruiting customer service agents at Lgw just now. If you are interested you can apply online via BA.com/recruitment.

Good luck!!
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:05 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Aegean, BMI, Hilton, Leaders Club, SPG
I'm very sorry to hear about that. Wishing you all the best...
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Sorry to hear that! Hope the job-hunting goes well, and you find something suitable
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:22 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Maybe you should take up a job at the currency exchange place on the other side of the departures queues
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:32 am

Hi Adam

Sorry to hear that Travelex are behaving badly. During my time at LGW I must have bumped into you a few times (were you the guy that caught the 100 bus up Maidenbower Drive by Nelson Close?)

Don't forget BA are recruiting for Temporary Customer Service staff at LGW urgently - the money's not brilliant but the job is still cool and it might end up permanent, especially if you set Heathrow in your sights! (We could possibly even car share on some shifts!)

Check out http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Very sorry to hear your news TEX277 - good luck with the job hunting. (Know how that one is )
Old Nov 28, 06, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Sorry to hear about your job, TEX277. Just proves what a useless shower of [email protected] Travelex really are. I stopped using them long ago, much better to get your money from the Post Office or M&S ahead of time.

Good luck with job hunting - luckily for you prospects are generally good in London I believe.
Old Nov 28, 06, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Sorry to hear of this, TEX277 even if you don't seem too upset by it - I'm sure such a philosophical outlook will help you find something new rapidly Good luck
Old Nov 28, 06, 11:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Sorry to hear your news TEX277 like many other Ft'ers here I must have seen you many times on my way through LGW North. Having been in your position once before I think your attitude will help you tremendously in getting a new job. Best of luck
Old Nov 28, 06, 12:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Sorry to hear this Adam! I'm pretty sure I must have seen you a few times when going through LGW. Good Luck

Last edited by tom139; Nov 28, 06 at 1:37 pm
Old Nov 28, 06, 12:30 pm

Programs: Meh!
Sorry to hear your news but these things tend to work out for the best when you look back at them from your new position in due course. Good luck and best wishes for the future.
Old Nov 29, 06, 6:43 am

Sorry to hear about this - but I'm glad you're pleased to be out with a bundle of cash (hopefully not the pre-paid orders for collection!) Best of luck in the future.
Old Nov 30, 06, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to you all for your kind words.

The redundancy has worked out extremely well for my travel plans. I had already booked (before redundancy) a two night UA Y+ LAS trip departing on Saturday and an F out / J return BA trip to NYC 24-29 Dec. To cheer myself up (not that is was strictly required) I have just booked an SQ F trip to DPS using some UA miles for the flights and some of the SPG points that I won at the London Do for the hotels.

So December looks good: http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...?handle=tex277

And finally, as I doubt that I will find another job with the same shift pattern, it looks like I will be unable to make those 19 multi-segment BA domestic daytrips to achieve AA Executive Platinum. The BACON sell-off would have scuppered that anyway I believe.

Every cloud has a silver lining

Last edited by TEX277; Nov 30, 06 at 8:41 am
Old May 14, 07, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for their kind words in this and other threads.

I am pleased to announce that the hunt is over as I actually secured the teaching job that I was in a panic over this past weekend!

Looks like I have come through redundancy and fallen on my feet as Steady-Edi predicted!

Search this Thread