12,000 Free Air Miles Thanks to Amex and BA

Old Nov 28, 06, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
12,000 Free Air Miles Thanks to Amex and BA

I applied for the BA Amex Premium card a month or so ago, on the basis that it was offering 12k miles for signing up and a decent return of miles for using the card.

Subsequently decided that I didn't need another credit card, especially for 120 notes per year, so faxed them a cancellation letter as directed on the card instructions when it arrived.

However, they have already credited the 12k air miles to my EC account and a month later, they are still sitting there. Maybe I should spend them before they catch up with me...
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Amex has the power to deduct miles from your account - it happens if your refunds are greater than your monthly spend. But you may get lucky.

You don't need to pay 120. Get a free Amex credit card, hold it for 6 months then apply for the BA card. You then only pay 30. Do a search for more on this.
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Interesting. Already have an Amex, but they still wanted 120 quid. Maybe I'll apply again and get another 12k miles.
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:19 am

The 12k miles were supposed to credit after the first transaction according to the t&cs...
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:26 am

Programs: klm/AF gold,BA gold
if you have a platinum amex chargecard the BA one is free
Old Nov 28, 06, 9:27 am
Original Poster

You then only pay 30. Do a search for more on this
Cheers. Found the link and it should be 30, so it looks like they didn't make the link with my existing Amex charge card.
Old Nov 28, 06, 11:44 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Cheers. Found the link and it should be 30, so it looks like they didn't make the link with my existing Amex charge card.
On the application form for the BA Amex it asks for the numbers of any other AMEX cards you hold. Even if you had omitted those details I surprised their systems didn't register a crossmatch from either their own data or that from the credit ref agency.
Old Nov 28, 06, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Turquoise - regular user of N class fares!
Originally Posted by Raffles
Amex has the power to deduct miles from your account - it happens if your refunds are greater than your monthly spend. But you may get lucky.

You don't need to pay 120. Get a free Amex credit card, hold it for 6 months then apply for the BA card. You then only pay 30. Do a search for more on this.
I've got a BA Amex blue card at the moment. I notice they've got rid of the "middle" card so if I wanted to upgrade to the Premium Plus, would they charge me 120 or 30? I also have an American Express Blue card that I never use. Would I be better just telling them that's all I have?

What about the 12,000 miles? Would I get those?
Old Nov 28, 06, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by speedbird_agent
I've got a BA Amex blue card at the moment. I notice they've got rid of the "middle" card so if I wanted to upgrade to the Premium Plus, would they charge me 120 or 30? I also have an American Express Blue card that I never use. Would I be better just telling them that's all I have?

What about the 12,000 miles? Would I get those?
If you apply for the Prem Plus, then your Amx Blue should qualify you for the 30. You can then bin the standard BA Amex. You won't get 12,000 - IIRC, that was a special offer for BA Golds only, but you will get 6,000. It doesn't matter what you tell them you have - I currently have a Plat CC, Red CC, and two BA PP cards (I applied for the Red before they scrapped the Plat fee for spending less than 500pa) - and getting the second PP was no problem. I applied on-line, easiest if you're at all worried about it.
Old Nov 28, 06, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Teece
and two BA PP cards .
Do you pay 30 for each of the cards?
Old Nov 28, 06, 4:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by flyoff
Do you pay 30 for each of the cards?
Yes. Originally, one was for personal spend, and the other for joint spend with Mrs Teece. Now she's got one of her own, I'll probably cancel the second one. As I got 5,000 miles for each card, the second 30 wasn't so bad, and I've had a voucher from each this year.
Old Nov 29, 06, 2:00 am
Original Poster

On the application form for the BA Amex it asks for the numbers of any other AMEX cards you hold
Indeed, and I entered my faithful green card's number, but it obviously didn't match for some reason. Fortunately the EC number did match and I still have my 'free' miles. So far.
Old Dec 15, 06, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA Turquoise - regular user of N class fares!
No luck

Originally Posted by Teece View Post
If you apply for the Prem Plus, then your Amx Blue should qualify you for the 30. You can then bin the standard BA Amex. You won't get 12,000 - IIRC, that was a special offer for BA Golds only, but you will get 6,000. It doesn't matter what you tell them you have - I currently have a Plat CC, Red CC, and two BA PP cards (I applied for the Red before they scrapped the Plat fee for spending less than 500pa) - and getting the second PP was no problem. I applied on-line, easiest if you're at all worried about it.
OK so I called up Amex to apply for the Prem Plus Amex card and told them I have a Blue Card and they said there is no such promotion entitling me to only a 30 fee. They said I need to have a charge card, not a Blue card. Anyone think they are telling me a porkie pie? Have you had better luck trying with a Blue?
Old Dec 16, 06, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Blue.
Originally Posted by speedbird_agent View Post
OK so I called up Amex to apply for the Prem Plus Amex card and told them I have a Blue Card and they said there is no such promotion entitling me to only a 30 fee. They said I need to have a charge card, not a Blue card. Anyone think they are telling me a porkie pie? Have you had better luck trying with a Blue?

Do you have to actually use the Amex Blue card? I have had mine for over a year - used in once I think - always use my BA Amex if possible. I should really put something on it every now and then.
Old Dec 16, 06, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Teece View Post
I tried to do this online. I got a letter through the post telling me that, as I was already a BA blue Amex card holder, it was not possible to extend the benefits of my card...

Search this Thread