Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is going on with the MB Travel Spa in T4?

Old Nov 25, 06, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat

For some time now it seems the MB Spa has been down to a single therapist in T4. I have been hearing this from several sources who have recently used T4 and found the same thing myself at T4 on Thursday. Nothing was available within a 3 hour window. Just what is the point of providing a facility without the staff to give a reasonable prospect of a treatment?

It seems that there is a higher chance of getting a treatment from the VS inflight masseuse (which I have always thought was something of a token effort) than in the MB Spa right now.

We did get 2 25 MB vouchers for the inconvenience, but it would have been nice to use the free time in the terminal more constructively.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Nov 25, 06 at 3:53 am
Old Nov 25, 06, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Couldn't agree with you more - as I mentioned last time I went through I was told there was a 5h30 wait (!). I don't think I've had a treatment there any time over the last few months.

Last time I had Little Miss Hitler dealing with me too which aggravated the situation...apparently I 'should get there in plenty of time'. She then accused me of being rude when I caustically remarked I had better things to do than turn up 6 hours before a flight on the offchance they might deign to fit me in...

Thankfully the nice lady going around the FIRST lounge with a trolley of bacon baguettes soothed my ruffled plumage !
Old Nov 25, 06, 3:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Shocker! With only one therapist I am amazed you were offered a slot at all but then I imagine very few passengers have in excess of 3 hours to kill at T4. Hope usual service resumes soon.

My experience a week ago would indicate that the situation at the T1 Spa is very much better. I was able to secure a lunchtime slot within 20 minutes for a facial (yeh, and I eat quiche too ) and with no wait at all at arrivals on Thursday.
Old Nov 25, 06, 4:18 am

Programs: BA SILVER thanks to flyertalk :)
can you preebook the spa and if so how ?

thanks

ali_c
Old Nov 25, 06, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ali_c
can you preebook the spa and if so how ?

thanks

ali_c
Only if you are travelling with VS
Old Nov 25, 06, 4:47 am

We turned up at 5.00pm for our flight on the BA 009 three weeks ago and was told that there were no more appointments that day at all. Not great.
Old Nov 25, 06, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
It would seem that T1 has been suffering from the same problem as well. When I passed through on my way to SFO at the beginning of October they were short staffed and giving away vouchers as a result...I would've thought BA would have been able to get a few more staff onboard since then....
Old Nov 25, 06, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
As I mentioned in another thread, I was also given a 5 1/2 hour wait time for a back massage by Mme Grace and Charm, with nary a hint of recognition that that MIGHT be an absurdity/inconvenience/shame.
Old Nov 25, 06, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can prebook at the VS Clubhouse, but the treatments are pretty poor imho. The haircut option is novel though.

Out of 12 VS flights in the last 12 months or so, I have been offered an on-board treatment once. A classic, pointless beard gimmick where the space would be far better used for another lav. My MB spa hit rate is better than that, by a decent margin.
Old Nov 25, 06, 12:51 pm
norodnik

at least T4 has retained the Steam Showers which are just great!!

Also, the water pressure in T4 means you can actually have a nice massage shower rather than the impotent pressure in T1.

I have never bothered booking a massage in either of the Spa's but am curious as to what sort of premium pax arrives in excess of 6 hours before their flight (if there is a 5.5 hr wait then they must be there to book ?) or do people book when they know they are next in town (ie Gold Card holders who know they are off to AMS in a week)

Old Nov 25, 06, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Couldn't agree with you more - as I mentioned last time I went through I was told there was a 5h30 wait (!). I don't think I've had a treatment there any time over the last few months.

Last time I had Little Miss Hitler dealing with me too which aggravated the situation...apparently I 'should get there in plenty of time'. She then accused me of being rude when I caustically remarked I had better things to do than turn up 6 hours before a flight on the offchance they might deign to fit me in...

Thankfully the nice lady going around the FIRST lounge with a trolley of bacon baguettes soothed my ruffled plumage !
There are two sides to every story, but...

A premium customer is exactly that, and thus patronising comments like "you should get here in plenty of time" have no place in a premium lounge. There are plenty of other, more appropriate ways to get your point across. Methinks she needs a re-assignment.
Old Nov 25, 06, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by norodnik
at least T4 has retained the Steam Showers which are just great!!

Also, the water pressure in T4 means you can actually have a nice massage shower rather than the impotent pressure in T1.

I have never bothered booking a massage in either of the Spa's but am curious as to what sort of premium pax arrives in excess of 6 hours before their flight (if there is a 5.5 hr wait then they must be there to book ?) or do people book when they know they are next in town (ie Gold Card holders who know they are off to AMS in a week)

Hi,

I have seen a few people in the VS arrivals lounge early in the morning ( after a overnight flight from the US) and they were going onto Nigeria/South Africa that evening so they would be having a long wait ( they were in Upper Class) so it would not surprise me if there were a few premium pax with long waits

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 25, 06, 3:58 pm
norodnik

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have seen a few people in the VS arrivals lounge early in the morning ( after a overnight flight from the US) and they were going onto Nigeria/South Africa that evening so they would be having a long wait ( they were in Upper Class) so it would not surprise me if there were a few premium pax with long waits

Regards

TBS
Indeed, there will always be a few, but one would hope not enough to take every slot in the MB spa.

Maybe there are, if so, there are far more people than I thought wasting their life away at BAA's pleasure (not sure which is worse ?)

Old Nov 25, 06, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Originally Posted by ajax
There are two sides to every story, but...

A premium customer is exactly that, and thus patronising comments like "you should get here in plenty of time" have no place in a premium lounge. There are plenty of other, more appropriate ways to get your point across. Methinks she needs a re-assignment.
I got the "you should be there in time" comment too some time ago. I don't think these people understand that (at least for now) London Airways does still have connecting pax from mainland Europe, who do not get into LHR 5 or 6 hours before their long haul connection.

I find availability in T1 much better than T4. I guess this is explained if they only have one person actually working at the MB T4 spa now ...
Old Nov 25, 06, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
For some time now it seems the MB Spa has been down to a single therapist in T4. I have been hearing this from several sources who have recently used T4 and found the same thing myself at T4 on Thursday. Nothing was available within a 3 hour window. Just what is the point of providing a facility without the staff to give a reasonable prospect of a treatment?

It seems that there is a higher chance of getting a treatment from the VS inflight masseuse (which I have always thought was something of a token effort) than in the MB Spa right now.

We did get 2 25 MB vouchers for the inconvenience, but it would have been nice to use the free time in the terminal more constructively.
They were down to one therapist when I went through T4 a month ago; the (actually very kind) girl apologised but said they were short-staffed. How long can it take BA to recruit a suitable therapist? Or maybe they aren't really interested. (What a contrast to JFK )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: