Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I'm fed up with FIRST/BA - we're being ripped off

Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)

Ok, don't bite my head off!!

I know I don't write a lot on here but I got so fed up I have put fingers to keys. Please don't think this is just a rant, but I would be interested as to what everyone thinks and what we might all do about it (any lurkers?), if you guys and gals agree with me:

I am very lucky and always fly in First (or CE) - sorry, it's true- and so have the gold card, the miles (what use are they!) but I have come to the conclusion, after more than 20 years of being a loyal (and I mean bloody loyal) BA customer that I am astonished BA are in what is supposed to be a service industry.

Can I just start, however, by thanking all the staff who are on the 'old' contracts (you know what I mean) and suggest that new staff/agency workers, etc. think about living up to the ideals that once made BA great. Mind you, I don't think they reward staff any more...

Those of you who have never flown First, don't get excited. I think we all know that quality of a flight depends on the crew and it seems to me that there is about a 1 in 5 chance nowadays of getting a crew member who give a damn about a pax. On my recent flights, the food was awful (so bad the CSD asked me to fill out a questionnaire he then stapled to his in-flight report), the IFE hardly ever works (made to change seats on every flight recently to watch safety video) and the crew were just not up to it.

If I hear another crew member moan about getting 10 pax on at once and not being able to do drinks...I tried this with friends at a dinner party the other day and managed to take orders and deliver drinks on my own in 6 minutes. They never have the right size sleeper suits and when flying to SYD they never change your suit at refuelling (ok, minor point!).

I am also fed up of hearing crew members going on about how hard they work - I used to be a junior doctor and I worked an average of 110 hours a week: they do an 11 flight and sleep for some of it; what the hell is SO difficult??? Don't give me the safety crap - I did aviation medicine and know a lot more than the crew about it (sounding arrogant am I? Sorry).

Sorry, I now feel I am ranting.

To sum up: we pay a lot of money for an F or A class ticket and the service we get is simply not reflected in the price. There is nothing luxurious about it and it does NOT live up to what ba.com says about it. It is obvious when greeted by the crew on the 'old' contract and they are a vanishing breed - the ones I have spoken to are ashamed at how BA is going. Bring back the days when the pax was important - please!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
OK, BA's F class isn't great compared to other (mainly) Asian carries. If you can book F or A class tickets (you mentioned SYD) why don't you fly on CX or SQ in F ? Beats BA hands down...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I think many of your points are valid. I have a number of friends who are BA or more likely now ex-BA. Five years ago they were proud to be working for BA, now the ones that are still there don't have a good word to see about their employer and any mention of wee Willie is likely to start a tirade of abuse.

A few years ago I used to fly a lot with BA and I was often invited to feedback sessions that were hosted by BAEC and usually some of the directors. They always used to ask "What is the most important thing that BA can do to make your flight more comfortable?" and every time I gave the same answer - it's the crew that make the flight enjoyable or horrendous and everyone would nod sagely - shame they didn't listen
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
They always used to ask "What is the most important thing that BA can do to make your flight more comfortable?" and every time I gave the same answer - it's the crew that make the flight enjoyable or horrendous and everyone would nod sagely - shame they didn't listen
Oh they heard all right, but they didn't care.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Oh they heard all right, but they didn't care.
Pucci darlink - how is HI coping with your outing? I received a large brown envelope this morning with a Solictor's name on the label - should I be concerned?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
...Five years ago they were proud to be working for BA, now the ones that are still there don't have a good word to see about their employer and any mention of wee Willie is likely to start a tirade of abuse.
Sorry, got to hop in there.

5 years ago, you heard all the same complaints from ground staff and crew. I don't mean to belittle those complaints, just to point out that for as long as I've been poking around this board (4 years) and been Gold on BA (7 years) the stream of comments has been pretty much unchanged. Its nothing new.

I've got to disagree with the CX poster too (sorry Rambuster). My recent experience (posted on this board) was that the service on CX was OK but as erratic as BA's, while BA's product (ie cabin, seat, food) was vastly superior.

FWIW given I'm double-emerald now (AA EXP plus BA G), I'm considering switching one of them over to the Evil Empire... I'm willing to give SQ a try. My one experience of them in J was exemplary.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by whmere
I'm considering switching one of them over to the Evil Empire... I'm willing to give SQ a try. My one experience of them in J was exemplary.
It looks like you're timing that one quite well considering the New J/F class product they will launch from next month!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by starlight
Those of you who have never flown First, don't get excited.

Aaagh don't say that! Myself and other half have our first FIRST flight coming up at the start of a month's holiday in Brazil over Christmas-NY. Looking forward to it is half the fun!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by James S
Aaagh don't say that! Myself and other half have our first FIRST flight coming up at the start of a month's holiday in Brazil over Christmas-NY. Looking forward to it is half the fun!

Dont worry,

As your first F experience it will still be great. like anything , the more you do it the more ordinary it becomes.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:09 am

I've got to disagree with the CX poster too (sorry Rambuster). My recent experience (posted on this board) was that the service on CX was OK but as erratic as BA's, while BA's product (ie cabin, seat, food) was vastly superior.
Id add to this that ive never found an airline that was consistently good. Im currently alternating between CX and BA F for my monthly trips to HK and I reckon the hit rate is pretty even between the two between a great experience and an average one.

Today its CX so their chance to creep ahead (though the lack of a smoking room in their lounge do get my goat every time - must be god's way of hinting to me I should give up!)

Mat
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jchand
Dont worry,

As your first F experience it will still be great. like anything , the more you do it the more ordinary it becomes.
^ It is a FF (and FT) rite of passage to become blase and dismissive about stuff like that.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
Originally Posted by James S
Don't worry, it will be wonderful. Its unfortunate but it wears off with use as with many good things. I always used to think J was a waste of money, now I always fly F if at all possible and am starting to find myself wishing - as I slog past another attitudinous TSA agent or sit bored silly in an airline lounge - that I could just charter a private jet instead. Never thought I'd think that. The great joy of the journey being half the pleasure is being worn down by the drudgery of relentless business travel...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The great joy of the journey being half the pleasure is being worn down by the drudgery of relentless business travel...
Indeed. I only fly for pleasure now and I still get excited every time I have a trip coming up.

But even as a frequent leisure traveller it is easy to start to nit pick about service, seat, food etc. Is there not a saying something along the lines of 'familiarity breeds contempt'?

Perhaps the solution is to fly many different carriers and not get bogged down with the good / bad of one airline.

I too am a double OW Emerald and am on the verge of venturing into the dark side. Trying out some *A carriers to mix it up a bit will keep my travel experiences fresh.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I do think changing classes helps too... irritated by FIRST? try a long-haul in WT, and you'll see FIRST in a whole new light
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I do think changing classes helps too... irritated by FIRST? try a long-haul in WT, and you'll see FIRST in a whole new light
I was going to suggest that but somehow my fingers just wouldn't type those words.
To introduce another cliche - Variety is the Spcie of Life. I don't think I want my life to be as spicy as a whY trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.