Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Board Do: Snow dusted Alps and Frozen Lakes - Geneva 25/26th November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Board Do: Snow dusted Alps and Frozen Lakes - Geneva 25/26th November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Exclamation BA Board Do: Snow dusted Alps and Frozen Lakes - Geneva 25/26th November

Continuing the Winter theme of BA board 'Do's', I would like to invite everyone to:

Geneva on Saturday 25th November returning Sunday 26th November 2006.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make any of the other planned 'Do's' most notably SZG a week later!

However together with PyeintheSky we have taken the plunge and booked Geneva for those who cannot make what is currently planned on other dates.

Available at the Bargain price of around £150 from BA.com in Club Europe incl taxes. There is also an Intercontinental in Geneva which should equal another brilliant 'Do'!

In terms of flight options, we seem to have the luxury of choice for this 'Do'!

The 'official' flight of the 'Do' is:

Terminal : N
To : Geneva, Switzerland
Terminal : M
Flight Number : BA2744 (Confirmed)
Depart : Sat 25 November 2006 10:40
Arrive : Sat 25 November 2006 13:20
Cabin : Club Europe
Availability: I0 (as of 14:00 13/10/06)

Terminal : M
To : Gatwick (London), United Kingdom
Terminal : N
Flight Number : BA2737 (Confirmed)
Depart : Sun 26 November 2006 11:30
Arrive : Sun 26 November 2006 12:10
Cabin : Club Europe
Availability: I6
(as of 14:00 13/10/06)

The 'official' hotel is the Intercontinental GENEVE. available from approx. £130 for Saturday night.

Alternative flight options at £150 return are:

Outbound Sat 25th:

BA2736 - 08:05 arriving 10:45 on a 734 I7 available
or
BA2740 - 14:50 arriving 17:20 on a 734 I9 available

Inbound Sun 26th:

BA2745 - 14:00 arriving 14:40 on a 745 I4 available
or
BA2741 - I0 available....

Also PhilH has mentioned returning at 07:00 on the Monday morning as a possibility...

The flights in question were chosen to avoid too early starts or late returns especially for those of us who drive from great distances to attend the 'Do's which is always welcome especially at this time of the year with the risk of snow, etc.

Confirmed:

Flyclub + 1
Pyeinthesky
Swissytrader
G-BOAC
(*)
typical

[B]Krug
JimmytheJock + SWMBO

Heathrow777

SEATING:
Code:
Who?		Outbound?	Return?

Flyclub + 1	1C + 1A		4C + 4A
Pyeinthesky	2A		3A
Krug		3C
G-BOAC		2C		N/A (earlier flight)
swissytrader	3A		3C
JimmyTheJock+1  (on 08:05)      5A + 5C

Last edited by flyclub; Nov 23, 2006 at 2:30 am Reason: More do attendees!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:53 am

Sounds good! what a great idea ^
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyclub
The flights in question were chosen to avoid too early starts or late returns especially for those of us who drive from great distances to attend the 'Do's which is always welcome especially at this time of the year with the risk of snow, etc.
There was me thinking flights were chosen to eat in to my Monopole Monopoly

I will actually be returning on the Saturday (I booked this a while ago as a little day trip/jaunt during the Travel Shop sale) so won't be there for the full 'do' But I look forward to spending half day with everyone again at least and having a whirlwind look around Geneva in (what I hope will be) some bracing fresh air ^ Dibs on the RA minibars to take home with me...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
There was me thinking flights were chosen to eat in to my Monopole Monopoly

I will actually be returning on the Saturday (I booked this a while ago as a little day trip/jaunt during the Travel Shop sale) so won't be there for the full 'do' But I look forward to spending half day with everyone again at least and having a whirlwind look around Geneva in (what I hope will be) some bracing fresh air ^ Dibs on the RA minibars to take home with me...
Technically, does this make us gatecrashers?!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Using the link in this post, you can get the IC for about £100 for the night (238 CHF I think).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608664

Still not sure whether I'm going to make this one. I might instead head to ORD that weekend for a quick bmi triple miles run...
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:17 am

As an added attraction, due to the raging debate on whether one can taste the difference between blue-bl@@dy-top and decent Champers, I have volunteered to host a blind tasting, pitching the ubiquitous monodross against the mighty Krug* in a blind tasting on board the outbound flight.

The results will be posted here afterwards and will hopefully put the debate to bed once and for all (as if!!!).

*Subject to Krug being available in the duty free at LGW before the flight Pyeinthesky reserves the right to substitute another quality tipple in the unlikely event that it is not available on the day. Remember the consumption of alcohol at altitude can cause knee instability. Oh great dog of foam, please drink wisely.

Last edited by Pyeinthesky; Oct 4, 2006 at 10:31 am
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
NO! Not the Intercon Geneva!

1. It's a dump!
2. It's in the middle of nowhere (unless you are visiting the UN!)

I nearly stayed there when we went to Geneva last month. Luckily a quick burst of dreadful tripadvisor reviews brought me to my senses and we moved to the Four Seasons on the lakeside. Brand new hotel, genuinely fantastic. Not cheap but you'll get back most of the cost in stolen bottles of Aqua de Parma toiletries and soaps!

Also on river bank is (from left to right) the Mandarin Oriental, one I've forgotten, the FS, the Hotel de la Paix (Concorde Hotels, just refurbished), the Angleterre, the Hilton and the President Wilson (Starwood).

The old town is the other side of the lake from the hotels, so a long way from the IC. All the decent shops are also on the other side, but this is just a 2 minute walk from the Four Seasons across the bridge. From the IC its going to be a taxi or a bus.

(And for those FT'ers in Docklands, the Swiss flight out of City on a Friday night, back 6pm Sunday, was cheap when we went. No TP's but no queues either!)
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
NO! Not the Intercon Geneva!

1. It's a dump!
2. It's in the middle of nowhere (unless you are visiting the UN!)
Remember you are dealing with a load of Royal Ambassador tarts here The free minibar is rather tempting....
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I'm also an RA, but the tripadvisor reviews still scared me !

EDITED TO ADD: HOWEVER .... given the early start from Gatwick, and as its only one night, the 8am Royal Ambassador check-in may be helpful to you all. We were there for 2 nights and Ms Raffles was in major shopping mode so I knew we had to be near the boutiques ....

Last edited by Raffles; Oct 4, 2006 at 6:37 am
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I'm also an RA, but the tripadvisor reviews still scared me !
Steady-EDI gave it a not-too-bad review on his website.

http://www.rtwman.co.uk/Mini_Reports..._IC_Geneva.htm
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:40 am
jhm

I'd love to go on this Do but I'm off to JFK for the weekend - AA F thanks to AA/Expedia and MY coming back.

What is there to do in Geneva ? I've only been to Zurich (for a ZRH-MAN-ZRH run) and Basel - is Geneva like either of these places ?
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: EY Platinum
The old town is the other side of the lake from the hotels, so a long way from the IC.
Not all the hotels. The Swissotel Metropole is only a few minutes walk from the old town. And they have a decent bar too. ^
Old Oct 4, 2006, 6:50 am
Suspended

Intercon - Are You Sure?

Reviews look quite damning

I would not recommend this hotel. We left after one day! The lobby is clean and has been renovated in a retro style (1920s Modernist?) which gives a good first impression. The room left a lot to be desired. The decor was dated, dusky peach and green with gold trim. There was no coffee and tea making facilities and no iron and ironing board or trouser press as you would expect in a 5 star business hotel.

When we insisted, reception arranged these items which they informed us were covered by the price of the room so we would not be charged a supplement. The hotel is very far from city centre and the lake. We were travelling with a small child (in a buggy) so buses were difficult and taxis are very expensive.

We could not find any supermarkets or restaurants in the area. Room service prices were double what you would expect to pay so we went to the restaurant. “Woods” restaurant serves a limited menu of nouvelle cuisine style meals with good ingredients but teeny-weeny portions at a high price. There did not seem to be any healthy options available. Meals contained a lot of butter and salt.

For me the last straw was the breakfast buffet. We were harassed by the staff from the moment we sat down. Someone came to our table once a minute and hovered over us. If we let down our defences for a second they took our plates whether we were finished with them or not![/CENTER]

Last edited by krug; Oct 4, 2006 at 7:33 am
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I would love to do this, but with SZG the week after and Paris the week before....Kathmandu!
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:22 am
Suspended

Right - I am quite keen on this idea.

I had intended to potter off to Brussels for that weekend on Eurostar, but this sounds good, and with my namesake champagne being offered outbound I would be a fool to turn it down.

I do not need any points as am on track for Gold this year (thanks Pyeinthesky! ), so will fly out with you in Club Europe on Saturday from LGW on BA2744 dep1040, and back on the last Sunday 2035 departure BA 0737, ironically on a A320, in Y to LHR, which is easier and less expensive for me to get home from than LGW, and saves me £114 than would have been spent flying that sector in Club Europe.

Total cost with Shareholder Discount was £110.

Flight number: BA2744
To: Geneva Terminal M
Depart: 25 Nov 2006 10:40
Arrive: 25 Nov 2006 13:20
Class: Club Europe
Operated by: British Airways
Booking status: Confirmed

Flight number: BA0737
To: Heathrow (London) Terminal 4
Depart: 26 Nov 2006 20:35
Arrive: 26 Nov 2006 21:25
Class: Euro Traveller
Operated by: British Airways
Booking status: Confirmed

Still considering the hotel plan, leaning towards something more central though, which is fine as it means we have a central base for evening frivolities!

I will have a mini champagne from the mini bar, please RA members!!!

Slightly throwing a spanner in the works here, but I looked at the reviews and online at the IC; as I am not an AC member, I have little incentive to stay here, it looked rather too chintzy for my delicate tastes, and also I will likely potter off on the train Sunday morning so being nr the station for both arriving from the airport and departing would be better for me, plus would like to be nearer the action in the shopping/restaurant area and a short hop across the bridge to old town on Saturday night.

So am looking into the enticingly named "Manotel" chain, probably the Jade, for around GBP81/night. http://www.manotel.com/jade/ - but promise to fit in with ithers' plans so as not to be too much of an inconvenience!

Last edited by krug; Oct 4, 2006 at 2:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.