Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Board Do: Snow dusted Alps and Frozen Lakes - Geneva 25/26th November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Board Do: Snow dusted Alps and Frozen Lakes - Geneva 25/26th November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyclub
Fondue? How wonderful! Maybe I should bring some of my 'Manuel and The Music of the Mountains' CD's along to really get nostalgic.
Finally I have found a use, beyond shooting, for those earplugs they give away on board!!!!

This looks interesting:

The luxurious Patek Philippe Museum, 7 rue des Vieux-Grenadiers, (41-22) 807-0910, fax (41-22) 807-0920, www.patekmuseum.com, open since November 2001, showcases this Geneva firm established in 1839. Four floors exhibit a treasure trove of ''automata,'' jeweled or enameled timepieces with singing birds, biblical scenes or dancing acrobats. Films show the mechanisms in motion. The Calibre 89, with 1,728 components, is displayed in cutaway and film versions. Tuesday to Friday, 2 to 5 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. Closed Sunday and Monday; $6.75.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:48 am
Suspended

I go to GVA about 8 times a year and would definately recommend against the InterCon simply because it is in the middle of nowhere. I stayed there years ago and it was sterile and there was no evening activity, however it supposedly has been renovated.

That said, but maybe more expensive by a good shot, FS Hotel des Bergues is IMHO currently the best. It is right at the end of the lake and the entry to The Rhone and is about a 10 minute walk from the Old Town. Every room I have stayed in has been good size. The President Wilson (Luxury Collection) is also lakeside but more modern - the service is fine but no real charm - however sometimes they have good rates and for any trippers who want to burn Starpoints might be a good option. I find the MO Hotel du Rhone priced high for what you get - but there is a nice Red Carnation hotel (cant remember the name) Ive stayed in a couple times - also lakeside - between President Wilson and FS - that is beautifully furnished and has good rates (still probably higher than IC) but very small rooms.

If you dont mind staying out of town, the closest nice hotel to the airport - about 3k is La Reserve which is set in a park next to the Lake and has a great bar scene and also two very good restaurants.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I go to GVA about 8 times a year and would definately recommend against the InterCon simply because it is in the middle of nowhere. I stayed there years ago and it was sterile and there was no evening activity, however it supposedly has been renovated.
I am still not convinced by the Intercon so have booked at the enticingly named "Manotel" Kipling, which looks modern and well located near the lake and the more flamboyant part of town.

elitetraveler have you any tips for restaurants, so far the Cafe de Paris is in the frame, and also a gathering interest in a fondue place?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by krug
I am still not convinced by the Intercon so have booked at the enticingly named "Manotel" Kipling, which looks modern and well located near the lake and the more flamboyant part of town.

elitetraveler have you any tips for restaurants, so far the Cafe de Paris is in the frame, and also a gathering interest in a fondue place?
Well all I can say is that at the end of the day for such a short trip its the company and those on the actual 'Do's' which makes it special.

I am more and more curious regarding this infamous IC as the days pass. Anyhow, the fewer of us at the IC, the further the mini-bars' will go around....
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:25 am
Suspended

Beware Krug -- i looked at the manotel site which looks nice - but on one trip earlier this year there was a big convention and GVA was totally sold out -- i booked a hotel - it might have been the Manotel - i think they have several - and not only was it a DUMP - it was right in the middle of the Red Light district (which is actually only about three blocks from the lake).

For a one night only - the restaurant at La Reserve is my favorite -- it is a great terrace during the summer - but is very cozy in the winter and after dinner the bar area will be hopping with the attractive daughters of diplomats and bankers. If you want a fondue place I will ck w my gal in GVA and get you some recommendations - might be till Monday - she isnt good at cking her emails on the weekend.

Check out La Reserve http://www.lareserve.ch/en/pages/restaurants.htm
Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
..........- it was right in the middle of the Red Light district ........after dinner the bar area will be hopping with the attractive daughters of diplomats and bankers.
Splendid...we can chat about the latest Manolo Blahnik's, shopping and where to get the best facials in Geneva. Down, Smirnoff, down!

Sorry flyclub don't want to be a party pooper, but without Ambassador's club membership, I was not keen on making the trek back to IC after the night out, and want to be closer to the station for my trip to Lausanne the next morning. But I am sure I will fit in with all your other plans!

La Reserve looks splendid, though any local knowledge/hints on fondue options would be well received.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Sorry flyclub don't want to be a party pooper, but without Ambassador's club membership, I was not keen on making the trek back to IC after the night out, and want to be closer to the station for my trip to Lausanne the next morning. But I am sure I will fit in with all your other plans!
Sure - its great you can make the trip in the first place!

Speaking of which there must be others who are tempted!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 4:06 am

Scab!

Seriously, I am not too bothered about the hotel, if I remember going back there at the end of the evening I'll be disappointed!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:25 am
Suspended

Krug, here is my GVA gal's fondue recommendation:

Chateau d’If

Route de Thonon 51

CH-1222 Vesenaz

Tel : 022.752.12.11

About 5 minutes from downtown Geneva by car (reserve early)

http://www.chateaudif.ch/

happy dipping!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Bumping to update on I-class availability on the flights.

Although the 'official' flight is still I0, there is plenty of availability on the other flights both before and after the 'official' flight outbound on the Saturday.

Furthermore, there is availability with us on the 'official' flight returning on the Sunday.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:57 am

The D fares are only Ł20 more anyway... Still cheap as chips
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
This would be a great weekend to get Gold... but to do that, I'd have to get a flight to the UK and then to Paris on Monday. Can't do GVA-LON-CDG because it prices as two singles. LYS-LHR-CDG is only 212 quid (and I get to spend Sunday afternoon with The Future Mrs Typical) but I can't work out how I'd get from Geneva to LYS

Any ideas, anyone?

(I'd be taking the TGV Paris-Geneva...)
Old Oct 15, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by typical
This would be a great weekend to get Gold... but to do that, I'd have to get a flight to the UK and then to Paris on Monday. Can't do GVA-LON-CDG because it prices as two singles. LYS-LHR-CDG is only 212 quid (and I get to spend Sunday afternoon with The Future Mrs Typical) but I can't work out how I'd get from Geneva to LYS

Any ideas, anyone?

(I'd be taking the TGV Paris-Geneva...)
GVA-LYS should be a snap on the train. It's just under a two-hour ride.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex0683de
GVA-LYS should be a snap on the train. It's just under a two-hour ride.
Sounds OK! Go on typical - you know you want too!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:46 am
Suspended

flyclub is OnBoard a confirmed attendee? All has gone quiet sonce his dramatic announcement of his decidion to come along.

Also, am fairly sure SWISSBOBBY is elsewhere that weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.