Wiki Posts
Search

GATWICK--wait times/lines?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
GATWICK--wait times/lines?

Any experiences of late with wait times/lines at LGW with the new security "stuff"??

I've got a six-hour layover there (arr. 7a, dep. 1/1300p), and if the lines aren't too bad and/or my inbound is not terribly delayed, I'd likely hop on the GEX into town for a couple of hours (and would welcome recco's on to-do's/avoids/eats/drinks therein). THANKS!

(Otherwise, plan b: I'll chill at the BA Terr/F lounge, & if possible, happily guest in any weary FTer needing access, if that's acceptable/possible)
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skye1
Any experiences of late with wait times/lines at LGW with the new security "stuff"??

I've got a six-hour layover there (arr. 7a, dep. 1/1300p), and if the lines aren't too bad and/or my inbound is not terribly delayed, I'd likely hop on the GEX into town for a couple of hours (and would welcome recco's on to-do's/avoids/eats/drinks therein). THANKS!

(Otherwise, plan b: I'll chill at the BA Terr/F lounge, & if possible, happily guest in any weary FTer needing access, if that's acceptable/possible)
I asked this question yesterday and the response seemed to be between 8 and 15 minutes for security on a Saturday morning.

Thing is, 6hrs doesn't give you that long - plane lands at 7am, assuming you have fast track through immigration (do they offer that at Gatwick now???) you can probably count on being in Victoria just after 8.30am. However, there's not going to be much you can do as the tourist places open around 9.30am/10am. By 11.15am latest you need to be back on the train - that would get you to the North Terminal by midday and through security (no fasttrack here) by 12.20-12.30pm. Straight to the gate and it's all getting a bit close to be honest.

If you've never been to London before you would have time to see Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Westminster/Big Ben, walking to both from Victoria station, but if you're keen to just get out of the airport for a short while, perhaps you should get the train down to Brighton instead for a quick walk along the seafront.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:06 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
In 45 mins my taxi will be arriving for my 9am flight from LGW - I'll post after and let you know.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
It took less than 10 mins on Saturday morning at about 7am.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I asked this question yesterday and the response seemed to be between 8 and 15 minutes for security on a Saturday morning.

Thing is, 6hrs doesn't give you that long - plane lands at 7am, assuming you have fast track through immigration (do they offer that at Gatwick now???) you can probably count on being in Victoria just after 8.30am. However, there's not going to be much you can do as the tourist places open around 9.30am/10am. By 11.15am latest you need to be back on the train - that would get you to the North Terminal by midday and through security (no fasttrack here) by 12.20-12.30pm. Straight to the gate and it's all getting a bit close to be honest.

If you've never been to London before you would have time to see Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Westminster/Big Ben, walking to both from Victoria station, but if you're keen to just get out of the airport for a short while, perhaps you should get the train down to Brighton instead for a quick walk along the seafront.
Sorry to have not been more clear: Yes, I've been to London before, "been there, done that" as far as all the "tourist" things go....but haven't been to Brighton yet, so maybe it's time to explore a new city, for what can be explored in an hour or two on a Sunday morning.

Last edited by skye1; Sep 26, 2006 at 11:04 am

What about popping over to Brighton for a few hours if things get a bit tight re getting to London?

There is also always Croydon as well
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
After complaining alot about the queues at LGW recently, 9am last Saturday was a dream; around 10 minutes instead of 30+.

I gather that they are searching fewer passengers.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Sorry to have not been more clear: Yes, I've been to London before, "been there, done that" as far as all the "tourist" things go.
Then as has been suggested, probably best to can the idea of going to London and head elsewhere. IMHO, 9am-11am isn't exactly the most inspiring time to be in the city. The pubs aren't open (well some are but none that are of interest), it's way too early for lunch and although there are some good breakfast spots (Simpsons on the Strand for example), I'm not sure if you'd really want to go to them on your own.

Croydon was suggested with perhaps a degree of sarcasm, but if you just want to look around some shops it might not be an entirely bad idea. 15 mins on the train and the stores normally open at 9am IIRC unlike central London which is often 10am.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 12:51 am

=!

I've been through gatwick three times in the last week and it has taken me 15 to 20 mins door to lounge each time.

Mat
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:13 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by schofs
In 45 mins my taxi will be arriving for my 9am flight from LGW - I'll post after and let you know.
F Checkin - 2 mins wait (Club was also quite a short queue)
Security - 10 minutes end to end (laptops out, but no need for shoes/belts off any more)
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Security - 10 minutes end to end (laptops out, but no need for shoes/belts off any more)
Depends on the machine apparently...the one next to me was telling people to take shoes off, I took mine off and the security guy said I didn't need to for his machine - I didn't ask...
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:18 am

The OP's flight leaves at 13.00 though. A couple of weekends ago we were at LGW N at 11.30 on a Saturday and the queues were quite long. Took around 10 to 15 mins to checkin and get a BP (although the OP I'm assuming won't have to do this), and then another 40 mins or so for security. We didn't get airside till about 12.20.

The absolute latest I'd get to LGW for a 13.00 flight on a Saturday would be midday given my experience ten days ago.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
My experience was very similar checking in today at 1300 - the wait included everyone taking their shoes off and a minute or so for my telling off for bringing lip balm through
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the great ideas, and feel free to keep them coming. I'm sure I'm not the last who'll be facing a layover in Gatwick with out-of-airport ideas to try. Sounds like Croydon or Brighton is the way to go.

Of course, that assumes my inbound isn't terribly delayed. I was looking at getting my rail tickets in advance, but I think I'll wait & do so there, in case my inbound is too late to try. I'll also think on a potentially delayed arrival time after which I won't bother.

Last edited by skye1; Sep 27, 2006 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:26 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
See also
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...toria+Brighton

for some other ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.