Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Injured on BA flight, what compensation should I request?

Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold

Not Impressed

On a recent DUB - LGW flight, I was not impressed with the equipment of BA. I was in row 14 and the seat in row 13 was loose on both aisle seat as was row 12 and some others. When the man sat down in front of me the left hand side of the seat came down 3 and a half inches and you could see the gap widen between the D and E seat. It put a cut in my leg. It was of course coverable with 3 band aids (plasters) I expected a superior experience on BA. The crew was very nice and the Chicken Wrap was good. The egg sandwich left a lot to be desired.

I have written to BA three times about this incident since May and not one single response from them. I then sent the following to them:

On the above flight I was injured due to the damaged seat in front of me coming down on my leg and cutting my leg. I reported this matter to your flight attendant and have written about this matter to you twice before. I have not received any communications about this matter and due to the failure to communicate, I am now contemplating legal action. I will offer you one last opportunity to resolve this matter without any such legal action. My suggested terms are 1. upgrade status to Gold. 2. Award compensatory mileage of the equivelant and 3. five free round trip tickets. I await your response.

I think it might be a little unreasonable to make the above request. So, if they do respond, what do you think reasonable compensation should be, if any?

Last edited by drbond; Aug 29, 2006 at 8:55 pm Reason: To satisfy the snobby never make a mistake ^%*^%
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
How unsurpised I was to see a US location in the OPs profile. Hint - you forgot to ask for the Palm Trees...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by drbond
My suggested terms are 1. upgrade status to Gold. 2. Award compensatory mileage of the equivelant and 3. five free round trip tickets. I await your response

I think the likelihood of getting 1) or 3) is extraordinarily minute!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA, UA
Oh boy..... you are asking for whole heap of trouble starting a thread like this..... All the best!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:31 pm
Bukhara

I will offer you one last opportunity to resolve this matter without any such legal action. My suggested terms are 1. upgrade status to Gold. 2. Award compensatory mileage of the equivelant and 3. five free round trip tickets.
Are you expecting a serious response from anybody (BA included)

Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:32 pm

Not Impressed

On a recent DUB - LGW flight, I was not impressed with the equipment of BA. I was in row 14 and the seat in row 13 was loose on both aisle seat as was row 12 and some others. When the man sat down in front of me the left hand side of the seat came down 3 and a half inches and you could see the gap widen between the D and E seat. It put a cut in my leg. It was of course coverable with 3 band aids (plasters) I expected a superior experience on BA. The crew was very nice and the Chicken Wrap was good. The egg sandwich left a lot to be desired.

I have written to BA three times about this incident since May and not one single response from them. I then sent the following to them:

On the above flight I was injured due to the damaged seat in front of me coming down on my leg and cutting my let. I reported this matter to your flight attendant and have written about this matter to you twice before. I have not received any communications about this matter and due to the failure to communicate, I am now contemplating legal action. I will offer you one last opportunity to resolve this matter without any such legal action. My suggested terms are 1. upgrade status to Gold. 2. Award compensatory mileage of the equivelant and 3. five free round trip tickets. I await your response.

I think it might be a little unreasonable to make the above request. So, if they do respond, what do you think reasonable compensation should be, if any?

I wouldnt expect that you will get anything as per your above requests, I am honestly not surprised that youve gotten no response! given that you are demanding things for a minor cut?? I think not!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My suggested terms are 1. upgrade status to Gold. 2. Award compensatory mileage of the equivelant and 3. five free round trip tickets. I await your response.

Great joke. ^
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Assuming for one moment the poster is serious, and taking what you say at face value, do you honestly think that your proposed compensation is at all equivalent to a cut on your leg that required a couple of sticky plasters to fix ?

You got a cut on your leg. The crew sorted it. You got to your destination.

Get over it - we all have...

BAH
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
The OP does have a genuine case for compensation, but his demands do not seem commensurate with the injury sustained. If I was injured in such a fashion, I would indeed pursue BA. However, by asking for what you have asked for, rather than monetary compensation, suggest to BA that you may be "on the make" and trying to exaggerate your injury. I'm not saying you are, but that's how this type of demand might be seen by British eyes I'm afraid. It certainly seems that way to me. They are far less likely to accede to demands like this. I think you should have stuck with a simple request for compensation without all the detail.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
If that's really what you sent to BA, I'd have gone the whole hog and additionally requested:

4. A letter writing course
5. A spelling and grammar checker

Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
This made me really smile. I love the way that they pax got cut in turn seeking compensation but commented how good the chicken wrap chaser was in the same sentence. Very funny
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
5. A spelling and grammar checker
You beat me to it by minutes...
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:42 pm

Is it April aleady?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

Great joke. ^
Indeed. ROFLMAO.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It's time for another round of compensation questions... been a lul in this recently

Question is...who supplied the plasters?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.