Connecting from Alaska Airlines to BA at SFO

Old Aug 16, 06, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue Plus
Connecting from Alaska Airlines to BA at SFO

Hi folks,

I'm travelling on a through ticket LHR-SFO-PSP-SFO-LHR on BA and Alaska Airlines.

On the return I have 90 minutes between by Alaska Airlines flight arriving and the BA departure at 18:55.

- Can Alaksa Airlines check me in for the BA flight at Palm Springs?

- Will 90 mins be enough to transit the airport (security etc) - I will be hand luggage only (laptop plus 1 roll-on within the limits!).

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 16, 06, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze
Originally Posted by eddyP
Hi folks,

I'm travelling on a through ticket LHR-SFO-PSP-SFO-LHR on BA and Alaska Airlines.

On the return I have 90 minutes between by Alaska Airlines flight arriving and the BA departure at 18:55.

- Can Alaksa Airlines check me in for the BA flight at Palm Springs?

- Will 90 mins be enough to transit the airport (security etc) - I will be hand luggage only (laptop plus 1 roll-on within the limits!).

Thanks for your help.
AFAIK BA are using the ex-UK guidelines for their ex-USA flights so you will not be able to to take a roll on and a laptop as hand luggage in either direction.

90 mins should be ok for your transit - SFO is reasonably transit friendly. I would think Alaska can only check you in for the whole flight if the booking is on 1 PNR.
Old Aug 16, 06, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by irmster
AFAIK BA are using the ex-UK guidelines for their ex-USA flights so you will not be able to to take a roll on and a laptop as hand luggage in either direction.
This has now been relaxed:-
Customers travelling from the rest of the world to the UK
Customers departing on flights to the UK from the rest of the world who are not transferring onto another flight, will be able to carry one standard sized bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and one briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent, unless more stringent local regulations are in force.

However, customers returning from the UK must comply with the UK Department for Transport requirements which are:-
  • One cabin bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm, the size of a small laptop bag.
We would therefore strongly advise customers to check that the laptop computer bag does not exceed these dimensions.
Old Aug 16, 06, 1:57 pm

I also think you'll have to check in separately for your BA flight at SFO, but agree that 90 minutes should be fine. The lounge at SFO is quite nice, too.
Old Aug 16, 06, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
Flew SEA-SFO-LHR... and had to checkin with BA at SFO. I agree with TeaAddict about the time and lounge as well.
Old Aug 16, 06, 4:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
The major hassle connecting from Alaska Airlines to British Airways will be the fact that you will have to *leave* the secure area for the domestic arrival and go through security again in the International Terminal. There is now a train that will make the transit between terminals quicker. Otherwise, you can make it a shorter walk by going to the roof of the parking garage and walking directly across to the international terminal.
Old Aug 17, 06, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue Plus
Many thanks for the swift and useful repsonses.

Search this Thread