Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA won't let me skip my outbound flight - RIDICULOUS

Old Aug 14, 06, 11:52 am
Original Poster

All - first, I totally understand about tariff regulations, and why airlines revenue manage the way they do. But these are unprecedented times.

I'm scheduled to fly EWRLHR/LHRFCO departing Wednesday, returning September 2nd. WT+ booking with MFU to Club. Rather than take the chance of misconnecting (or my bags not making it), I have booked a EWRFCO nonstop.

BA telling me they'll cancel my return flight if I don't take the outbound. COME ON! I am trying to do what is best for BA!!! - bend the rules, have one less passenger trying to connect, 2 fewer bags, PLUS BA GETS TO KEEP MY MONEY AND MY MILES, and can resell the seats to boot. So where is the risk in that? Talk about win-win for British Airways.

But nnnnoooooooooo, have to abide by the tariff regulations. So what do you think the chances are I get totally screwed on these flights, despite me trying to do the right thing? This is ridiculous.

One very pissed off Jamie
Old Aug 14, 06, 11:55 am

Perhaps a longer layover is in order? Have you considered the idea of simply changing your ticket to fly on a later LHR-FCO flight?
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - first, I totally understand about tariff regulations, and why airlines revenue manage the way they do. But these are unprecedented times.

I'm scheduled to fly EWRLHR/LHRFCO departing Wednesday, returning September 2nd. WT+ booking with MFU to Club. Rather than take the chance of misconnecting (or my bags not making it), I have booked a EWRFCO nonstop.

BA telling me they'll cancel my return flight if I don't take the outbound. COME ON! I am trying to do what is best for BA!!! - bend the rules, have one less passenger trying to connect, 2 fewer bags, PLUS BA GETS TO KEEP MY MONEY AND MY MILES, and can resell the seats to boot. So where is the risk in that? Talk about win-win for British Airways.

But nnnnoooooooooo, have to abide by the tariff regulations. So what do you think the chances are I get totally screwed on these flights, despite me trying to do the right thing? This is ridiculous.

One very pissed off Jamie
The process is automatic as far as I am aware (and is the same with LH, SK, IB and others too). The reservations system will cancel your entire reservation if you are on a less-than-fully-flexible ticket if you no-show for any flight in the itinerary. I believe there are ways of reinstating this after the event but am not aware of any way in which they can "protect" your reservation on the return flight ahead of time.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Maybe you can hope for a cancellation or delay in the orginal outbound (by more than 5 hours) which would entitle you to a full refund. Maybe worth it to take a look at BAs contract of carriage.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Aug 14, 06 at 12:13 pm
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA, UA
This is ridiculous.
This isn't at all.

Click here to agree to the terms and conditions is exactly means exactly what it says, and there's no point in wanting to bend the rules afterwards; if you don't agree, you don't click.

And skipping the outbound portion of an itinerary is one of the blatant no-nos that almost every frequent flyer is quite familiar with. Calling it a travesty imho goes alongside the mentality that you should be allowed exit row seats and/or a free upgrade just because you're above 6' tall.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by House
The process is automatic as far as I am aware (and is the same with LH, SK, IB and others too). The reservations system will cancel your entire reservation if you are on a less-than-fully-flexible ticket if you no-show for any flight in the itinerary. I believe there are ways of reinstating this after the event but am not aware of any way in which they can "protect" your reservation on the return flight ahead of time.
Not correct, maybe sort of. Wife flew JFKLHR arriving Thursday, when her LHRFCO was cancelled she took a ferry to France and continued from there. Despite no-showing on LHRFCO, BA assures me (and has documented the reservation) that her return on September 2nd is unaffected. So apparently there IS a way for this to be done, despite how patently LOGICAL AND GOOD NATURED AND GENEROUS I'm trying to be to British Airways.

Basically, BA wants to endure the variable cost of the food, wine, & weight I will consume, then throw another human body into the pit of despair that Heathrow has become. How sane of them. All they have to do is rebook the return as a one-way, and keep the $$s I've already given them.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

Last edited by Fraser; Aug 14, 06 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by chris18london
This isn't [ridiculous] at all.
Indeed. No more so than, say, the shoe being on the other foot with a pax buying a fully flexible ticket with no intention to travel just so they can use the BA lounge (a situation where BA is unlikely to be able to sell the seat again as mentioned in the OP here, as it's too late). I'd say that's 1-1 in the Ticket Sales Karma League
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Indeed. No more so than, say, the shoe being on the other foot with a pax buying a fully flexible ticket with no intention to travel just so they can use the BA lounge (a situation where BA is unlikely to be able to sell the seat again as mentioned in the OP here, as it's too late). I'd say that's 1-1 in the Ticket Sales Karma League
Good call, kudos on that, though every effort was made to ensure there was ample BA availability and I processed my return several hours prior to departure.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
I just took a look at BA's Contract of Carriage ... here is the portion that might apply to you if your original flight is delayed or canceled. It might be your only hope for refunding your ticket without penalty.

Link: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ublic/en_us#9b

9b) Remedies for delays and cancellations

9b1) We will take all reasonable measures necessary to avoid delay in carrying you and your baggage.

9b2) These measures may, in exceptional circumstances and if necessary to prevent a flight being cancelled, include arranging for a flight to be operated:

- by another aircraft
- by another airline or
- by both.

9b3) If we:

- cancel a flight;
- delay a flight by five hours or more;
- fail to stop at your place of stopover or destination; or
- cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation;

you can choose one of the three remedies set out immediately below.

Remedy 1
We will carry you as soon as we can to the destination shown on your ticket on another of our scheduled services on which a seat is available in the class of service for which you have paid the fare. If we do this, we will not charge you extra and where necessary, will extend the validity period of your ticket.

Remedy 2
We will carry you to the destination shown on your ticket in the class of service for which you have paid the fare at a later date at your convenience and within the validity period of your ticket on another of our scheduled services on which a seat is available. If we do this, we will not charge you extra.

Remedy 3
We will give or obtain for you an involuntary fare refund.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris18london
This isn't at all.

Click here to agree to the terms and conditions is exactly means exactly what it says, and there's no point in wanting to bend the rules afterwards; if you don't agree, you don't click.

And skipping the outbound portion of an itinerary is one of the blatant no-nos that almost every frequent flyer is quite familiar with. Calling it a travesty imho goes alongside the mentality that you should be allowed exit row seats and/or a free upgrade just because you're above 6' tall.
I already said I understand tariff regulations, so I'll pass on the lecture there. The fact of the matter is BA is extending full refunds to passengers who choose not to travel on the 16th, I don't want a full refund, I don't want anything back from British Airways, I simply want to return per my scheduled flight. If you are such a stickler for clicking on the terms and conditions, then I'm surprised you haven't posted what a travesty it is that British Airways is offering refunds.

I don't see the exit row/upgrade/6foot comparison at all.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
I just took a look at BA's Contract of Carriage ... here is the portion that might apply to you if your original flight is delayed or canceled. It might be your only hope for refunding your ticket without penalty.

Link: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ublic/en_us#9b

9b) Remedies for delays and cancellations

9b1) We will take all reasonable measures necessary to avoid delay in carrying you and your baggage.

9b2) These measures may, in exceptional circumstances and if necessary to prevent a flight being cancelled, include arranging for a flight to be operated:

- by another aircraft
- by another airline or
- by both.

9b3) If we:

- cancel a flight;
- delay a flight by five hours or more;
- fail to stop at your place of stopover or destination; or
- cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation;

you can choose one of the three remedies set out immediately below.

Remedy 1
We will carry you as soon as we can to the destination shown on your ticket on another of our scheduled services on which a seat is available in the class of service for which you have paid the fare. If we do this, we will not charge you extra and where necessary, will extend the validity period of your ticket.

Remedy 2
We will carry you to the destination shown on your ticket in the class of service for which you have paid the fare at a later date at your convenience and within the validity period of your ticket on another of our scheduled services on which a seat is available. If we do this, we will not charge you extra.

Remedy 3
We will give or obtain for you an involuntary fare refund.

For this reason, I'm praying for a cancellation of EWRLHR on Wednesday. I'm on the 1805, I've got Privatair booked to ZRH at 2145 and EWRFCO nonstop at 2200 booked on Continental. Strange, I've never prayed for a cancellation or multi-hour delay before...
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Not correct, maybe sort of. Wife flew JFKLHR arriving Thursday, when her LHRFCO was cancelled she took a ferry to France and continued from there. Despite no-showing on LHRFCO, BA assures me (and has documented the reservation) that her return on September 2nd is unaffected. So apparently there IS a way for this to be done, despite how patently LOGICAL AND GOOD NATURED AND GENEROUS I'm trying to be to British Airways.

Basically, BA wants to endure the variable cost of the food, wine, & weight I will consume, then throw another human body into the pit of despair that Heathrow has become. How sane of them. All they have to do is rebook the return as a one-way, and keep the $$s I've already given them.
I'm willing to bet that check-in will not go smoothly for your wife on September 2nd, unless (i) they updated the booking after the original segment was due to be flown (i.e. after the cancellation was triggered) or (ii) they have some way of showing the cancelled segment as having been flown. All will be fine in the end but in my (admittedly limited) experience of this they have to manually reinstate the booking after the date on which the "missed" flight took place.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by House
I'm willing to bet that check-in will not go smoothly for your wife on September 2nd, unless they have some way of showing the cancelled segment as having been flown. All will be fine in the end but in my (admittedly limited) experience of this they have to manually reinstate the booking after the date on which the "missed" flight took place.
Sound advice. I'll check back with BA periodically over the next 2 weeks, reservation still shows as intact on BA.com and EC says it is all set. But I'll allow for extra time at VCE. Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 06, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA, UA
I already said I understand tariff regulations, so I'll pass on the lecture there. The fact of the matter is BA is extending full refunds to passengers who choose not to travel on the 16th, I don't want a full refund, I don't want anything back from British Airways, I simply want to return per my scheduled flight. If you are such a stickler for clicking on the terms and conditions, then I'm surprised you haven't posted what a travesty it is that British Airways is offering refunds.

I don't see the exit row/upgrade/6foot comparison at all.
Ok, I was a little harsh, if it was true that they are giving refunds. As far as I am aware, they are only rebooking. But in all honesty, did you book the direct EWR-FCO based on assumptions that BA would not cancel the itinerary? Can you not cancel the whole thing, rebook the return one-way sector? And/or, is a longer-than expected layover in London that bad?

Search this Thread