Reports on Zone R please !

Old Aug 13, 06, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Reports on Zone R please !

Title says it all ! This could hopefully save a lot of people a lot of time, if regularly updated.

How is Zone R in terms of waiting times at different times of the day ?

1. J check in

2. CE check in

3. F check in

4. Passing through with no bags (if / when OLCI returns)

5. Security

As a P.S. are the Self Servie Machines operating at all when OLCI is not ?

Are people being made to queue outside the terminal for Zone R access also ??
Old Aug 13, 06, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Title says it all ! This could hopefully save a lot of people a lot of time, if regularly updated.

How is Zone R in terms of waiting times at different times of the day ?

1. J check in

2. CE check in

3. F check in

4. Passing through with no bags (if / when OLCI returns)

5. Security

As a P.S. are the Self Servie Machines operating at all when OLCI is not ?

Are people being made to queue outside the terminal for Zone R access also ??
Apologies - where is Zone R? I'm concerned about my own T4 to T1 connection this Thursday am, 2:30 layover time. Arriving T4 and departing T1 in Club.
Old Aug 13, 06, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Apologies - where is Zone R?
In the ultimate guide for a start...
Old Aug 13, 06, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Apologies - where is Zone R? I'm concerned about my own T4 to T1 connection this Thursday am, 2:30 layover time. Arriving T4 and departing T1 in Club.
Aplogies again...disregard previous post. I'll repost later this week in hopes of deciding whether airside/bus connection is better than landside/HEX/Zone R.
------------------------------

Zone R
Not really a lounge, but a very nice benefit to remember for most of the situations where lounge access is also a consideration at LHR Terminal 1.

If you’re flying in Club or FIRST (or are oneworld Ruby or above) from LHR Terminal 1 you have access to ‘Zone R’. This is BA’s check-in area dedicated to premium passengers and it’s one of the most wonderful innovations BA has introduced for a long time! The special zone is quiet, well-staffed and most importantly of all has its own dedicated security line which deposits you airside in a Duty Free shop about 1 minute away from the excellent BA lounge complex. Although the security line can back up a bit for the early morning rush, it’s still a Godsend and far, far quicker and more pleasant as an environment than the main terminal. Sadly no such clever fast track was introduced when BA revamped the FIRST check-in area at LHR T4…but we all have high hopes and crossed fingers for a ‘Zone R Equivalent’ in T5! Do remember that Zone R is basically in a separate part of T1 to the other check-in desks – follow the signs carefully. For reference, the BA Arrivals Lounge is right next to Zone R too.
Old Aug 13, 06, 5:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Zone R is located towards the bottom right of this plan..
http://www.heathrowairport.com/asset...ap_06-2006.pdf
Old Aug 14, 06, 8:51 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
comin' at you *live* from T1 Terraces

Weeeeeell,

On my way to Prague (15.00 flight currently delayed to 16.30, but at least it was updated on ba.com so I didn't rush out of the office...)

Took the tube to Heathrow, escalator up into T1 so didn't see the marquees outside. Walked the length of the terminal, everything very busy but not seeming too crazy, only a slightly higher level of muppetry that normally seen during the summer. Out of the far door, head towards zone R, *oops, what's that big queue doing stretching out of zone R and halfway back to the main terminal*, get to the entrance and am told 'this is checkin for SFO and NRT only sir, for Prague you need to go back and checkin in zones E/F. We've closed zone R today

Traipse back to E/F, think about SSCIing and FBDing but there's a fifteen people queue there moving very slowly. Go to E/F and queue there. For about 2 minutes. Before realising that the E/F queue is moving more slowly than the Perito Moreno glacier (interestingly, the only glacier outside the Arctic/Antartic circles still advancing). Back to FBD; about fifteen minutes for fifteen people to check in using three desks. How come it only took me fifteen seconds ??

They're turning away people who are there too early ('sorry, if you're waiting for the 16.45 to FRA then you need to go back outside and wait in the marquee until we call you sir') as they weren't able to send their bags down the belts, apparently.

Security was pretty quick - belts and shoes off, 100% pat-down, and even though there's still no carry-on here at LHR they are allowing electrical items in the clear bag, so I rescued my mobile and digicam, leaving the laptop to the tender mercies of the baggage handlers (f*ck it, it's a work one )

Terraces is pretty peaceful. Anyone else in here - I'm here for another hour+.

Safe travelling everyone.

Stewie

PS The bit about the Perito Moreno glacier is what the tour guide told us. I'm not a geographer so I wouldn't swear to it but it was certainly pretty impressive.
Old Aug 14, 06, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Looks like they are keeping it to Longhaul only but what about the late LAX flight?
Old Aug 14, 06, 9:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Sorry Luca, I wasn't clear.

There is NO premium checkin at T1 currently. They have spread the flights across the different checkin areas, and zone R is (right now) being used for checkin for SFO and NRT in all classes. Without discrimination.

PS - some of you will notice that I have two similar-but-different handles in this thread. It's a long story, and I have already reported myself to FT admin. I hope that I can count on some of you to speak up in mitigation when it comes to sentencing....
Old Aug 14, 06, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for making it clear Stewie.

Maybe that is due to them not bothering sorting out the security staff at Zone R security. Hopefully it will all be sorted out by Thursday when I am flying to LAX in F with my brother.

Search this Thread