How to secure valuables in checked bags ?

Old Aug 11, 06, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How to secure valuables in checked bags ?

Assuming that even after the weekend there will be some remaining limitations on carriyng electrical equipt and the like onboard, does anyone have a practical (emphasis on that word !) suggestion for securing laptops and the like in a checked bag ?

Most places don't offer bag sealing, so I am disregarding that as an option.

I was thinking of a lightweight but rigid and securely lockable container to go in the case. Any ideas where that sort of thing might be available ?

Also any suggestions on securely lockable cases that don't cost a fortune ?
Old Aug 11, 06, 1:06 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I was thinking of using a hard case bag should the limitations still be in place when I next fly. I can lock it more easily, and it does not change shape. I figure if I wrap my laptop, camera etc. in enough soft clothing, towels etc. to help absorb any shocks and movements, it should be alright in the hard case that cannot be compressed.

Assuming you have a hard case of course...

Maybe another solution is to buy hard plastic boxes (the sort you buy to store things in) and put that into your bags.

Short of locking one's bags, there seems little else you can as regards security of these sort of valuables. But you can do enough to at least protect these items against the more likely breakage and damage.
Old Aug 11, 06, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Something else that crossed my mind apart from the secuirty issue of valuables, is how the hold temperature may affect some items too, I know that some electical items, like mobiles, ipods etc, have a tendency not to work, some for a few hours, days, or never, after they've been exposed to extreme temperatures.
The only thing I'm worried about though is my d-slr camera! Car keys i can live without, just means i'll have to get a lift to the airport instead!
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:20 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Not sure hold temperatures are that extreme?

I think the hold is temperature-controlled, otherwise bottles checked in would freeze, expand and crack, and aren't pets carried in the hold as well?
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm getting a padded foam box made that will fit inside my hard case, and I can slot my laptop into inbetween it so it sits snuggly and will not move around, my company use it those case alot to send glass table tops interstate and we have never had a break yet. Only costing me $50 too.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:32 am

I have had things stolen from my hold baggage several times, so whatever I pack my laptop/camera/phone... etc in needs to be pretty secure.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:41 am

I know Flyclub was voicing concern about losing car keys in baggage and it just occurred to me that this is another reason to use one of the valet parking companies, such as the excellent Purple Parking . If you book with them, type 'amex' in the source code box for a generous discount
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:27 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by BAAZ
I think the hold is temperature-controlled, otherwise bottles checked in would freeze, expand and crack, and aren't pets carried in the hold as well?
Exactly. If holds weren't heated (and pressurised), anything with a liquid content would be at risk of exploding: bottles, deodorants, pens etc. And all your clothes would be freezing cold too!
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:31 am

How about something like this - http://www.jessops.com/Store/c256/1-...s/details.aspx

Boo
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:59 am

This situation has introduced a possible bonanza for any pilfering baggage handlers around the world. Especially on flights to/from the US where you are spesifically banned form locking your suitcase. I wonder how airlines might deal with any claims for stolen property when the general motto has used to be don't pack valuables in your checked bags...
Old Aug 11, 06, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lockable hard shell case is fine on most routes - except if you aren't allowed to lock the case (a la the TSA). In which case, some form of bag within a bag might be a better option? You still run the risk of someone having to break in though, especially if it is something that looks obviously electrical.
Old Aug 11, 06, 5:11 am

Programs: BA
Regarding hold temperatures .....

All baggage holds are pressurised the same as the cabin.

Most of the holds are not heated. They don't need to be as experience shows that the ambient temperature when the bags are loaded is maintained, more or less, for the duration of the flight. I've always meant to check this by putting a minimum/maximum thermometer in my baggage, but am assured by an aircraft engineer that the temperature does not drop below freezing.

One of the holds is heated on most aircraft, and that is where any particularly temperature-sensitive freight, and animals in cages, are placed. It's a chance if your baggage goes in that one.
Old Aug 11, 06, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
How about something like this - http://www.jessops.com/Store/c256/1-...s/details.aspx

Boo

Cheers, something I'll be looking at!
Old Aug 11, 06, 5:18 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
except if you aren't allowed to lock the case (a la the TSA).
Check out this article for details of TSA approved cases which can be locked, and for UK suppliers of TSA approved locks and lockable straps.
Old Aug 11, 06, 5:22 am

More interestingly will be passing a note to the airline and letting them know that the following valuables will go in. Therefore informing them and getting them to have the liability of replacing and repaying your good.

Do you imagine the lines with issues like: excuse me can you repay or repair my laptop that was properly packed, informed to your ground personnel that it was going as checked luggage and misteriously missing/damage upon arrival to ...

Search this Thread