Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to secure valuables in checked bags ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:26 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has come up already. Are we allowed to wear jewellery through security? My mum doesn't want to check any of her jewellery so she has the intention of wearing it all. Is this ok do you think?

Thanks,

tom139
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Halo
Check out this article for details of TSA approved cases which can be locked, and for UK suppliers of TSA approved locks and lockable straps.
Correct me if I am wrong but I assume that the TSA approved bags etc. can be opened by anyone who has access to whatever the TSA have to open the bags, which seems to be a master-key. Are these something which can be easily replicated ? If so, I would assume that every baggage handler in the US would have access to them, and probably most in the UK.

I have not looked but it would not surprise me to find them selling on Ebay, next door to the DIY F upgrade stamp ....

It reminds me of the old Antler keys (Key Nos. 7, 21, 35 etc) which were readily available and fitted most suitcases. I still have a tin of them somewhere

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Aug 11, 2006 at 4:36 am
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:55 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Correct me if I am wrong but I assume that the TSA approved bags etc. can be opened by anyone who has access to whatever the TSA have to open the bags, which seems to be a master-key.....
TSA approved bags are Samsonite, Delsey, Tumi. If you look into the small print when you purchase cases it basically says that the locks are not for security (i.e. to prevent theft) but basically to limit cases breaking open when thrown around by the baggage handling staff (although they word it nicer ). Case locks are a bit like car locks - anythief can get in to them. The TSA approved padlocks have a little indicator window that changes from green to red if they have been opened by TSA.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:19 am

All our Samsonite bags have combination locks - can they be opened by TSA -security?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
All our Samsonite bags have combination locks - can they be opened by TSA -security?
In practice yes - mine have been opened and relocked before, just a note inside to say it had been done. HOWEVER they are within their right to simply burst them open. It depends what they feel like! So...if I only had a combination lock I would leave it set to open (in practice it might de facto lock in transit anyway) and would use one of the TSA approved lockable straps.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Blue
Security of your valuables is an issue. The wife of one of my colleagues is stranded in Germany having flown out yesterday morning from Stanstead on Ryan air for the funeral of a good friend. Not only is she stranded with only a standby ticket for tonight, they have lost her handbag which they made her check. As she was only going for the day, she has nothing - only a credit card which she kept in her pocket and her passport. Her husband is having to look after their two toddlers - they're due to go on holiday at the weekend, but its very uncertain whether she'll get on the flight back tonight. As she had no luggage, her handbag was sent into the hold - not to be seen again. Ryan Air are hopeless - very difficult to get hold of. No surprise there then!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sueoverend
Security of your valuables is an issue. The wife of one of my colleagues is stranded in Germany having flown out yesterday morning from Stanstead on Ryan air for the funeral of a good friend. Not only is she stranded with only a standby ticket for tonight, they have lost her handbag which they made her check. As she was only going for the day, she has nothing - only a credit card which she kept in her pocket and her passport. Her husband is having to look after their two toddlers - they're due to go on holiday at the weekend, but its very uncertain whether she'll get on the flight back tonight. As she had no luggage, her handbag was sent into the hold - not to be seen again. Ryan Air are hopeless - very difficult to get hold of. No surprise there then!
It is a times like this that flying a proper airline (and ideally a shiny metallic cards) are a really benefit - vide G-BOAC's post.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:27 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Phone Sim Cards

I've advised a friend of mine travelling next week to remove the sim card from his phone before he checks it in to the hold. He hasn't got any pin codes on the phone ( ) so at least if the mobile gets nicked he still has his sim card and won't have unauthorised calls being made.

Does anyone know if they would stop you putting the sim card into your wallet/purse? It's effectively the same as the chip on a modern credit card.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:43 am

This will provide a great opportunity for travel insurance companies to increase their premiums! A much higher proportion of expensive/valuable items in your hold luggage (mobiles, laptops, cameras) will mean a higher proportion go "missing".
Just wait for the premiums to go soaring!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Couple of things

1. TSA locks all well and good for trips to the US but in Asia they are not acceptable. I have had my checked bags inspected in Asia several times and on one occassion a TSA lock was "cut" to allow inspection. I'd imagine if they couldn't they'd break your zip and wrap/tape it up afterwards.

2. My personal travel policy (Coutts) has advised me today that because passengers are now obligated to check baggage that the exclusions of valuables in checked baggage would no longer apply. The valuables single item limit would still apply as would the total value. The only item they will not insure is a mobile phone - but a laptop (below the single item limit) is fine.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:28 am

If you bank with Coutts you might be able to avail yourself of NatWest's mobile phone insurance cover. It comes free for NatWest Advantage Premier customers and covers up to 4 phones I think.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by sueoverend
The wife of one of my colleagues is stranded in Germany having flown out yesterday morning from Stansted. Her husband is having to look after their two toddlers - they're due to go on holiday at the weekend, but its very uncertain whether she'll get on the flight back tonight.
Train to Brussels, Lille, Calais. Passenger ticket on ship to Dover (still plenty although Eurostar full). Train Dover to London.

Tough but it can be done.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I was thinking of a lightweight but rigid and securely lockable container to go in the case. Any ideas where that sort of thing might be available ?

Also any suggestions on securely lockable cases that don't cost a fortune ?
I don't know about their availability in the UK, but Pelican cases http://www.casesbypelican.com are lockable, waterproof and pretty much crushproof, and they come in a bewildering array of styles and sizes. I bought one of their wheelie cases for camera gear, but they have cases suitable for laptops, sniper rifles, the lot.

Pelican also offers a "TSA-friendly" combination lock, useful if you're going to be travelling in the USA---TSA inspectors theoretically have the master code to open the case for inspection. In practice, I treat "TSA-friendly" locks as being sacrificial, as a lot of the time the inspectors will simply cut them off, and carry spares.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:33 pm

Check out this article for details of TSA approved cases which can be locked, and for UK suppliers of TSA approved locks and lockable straps.
I think that the problem with these (at least in my limited experience) is that often the TSA agents are too ignorant/lazy to get/use the proper keys/combinations to open these special "TSA approved" locks and so they just break the locks open and/of neglect/forget to put them back on the bags afterwards (I flew LHR-DEN-BUR, SNA-DEN-HDN-ORD-LHR last January - started with two of my bags loacked with TSA locks, got home back to LHR with neither TSA lock... ).

Yes, you can replace the locks, but you REALLY cannot ensure that your hold luggage is secure... once the locks have gone (possibly at your departure point), there are LOTS of opportunities for little hands to get in at your belongings...

This didn't used to worry me (before yesterday) because I ALWAYS ensured that NOTHING of any value was in my checked luggage (just clothes, shoes, underwear, a few paperbacks and sun cream...).

Husband is unlikely to want to travel without his laptop (has his own business, likes to be able to "check-in" regularly and keep an eye on email), and wouldn't like to not take the digital camera. I guess I could buy a really cheap mp3 player to use at the gym (and leave the i-pod at home) and could buy some cheap jewellery for fancy dinners out (and leave the proper stuff at home in the safe). Will have to see how things pan out...

Either way, as others have pointed out, the current policy (everything be checked into the hold) is going to open the flood gates for a whole load of crooked individuals: both those who want to steal for luggage and those who submit falsified claims for supposed valuables stolen/damaged from checked luggage... grrrrr!

Ok, one long ramble (as usual), but my point is that you can't trust TSA locks/straps/cases to keep your valuables safe...

Boo
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:41 pm

TSA approved bags are Samsonite, Delsey, Tumi. If you look into the small print when you purchase cases it basically says that the locks are not for security (i.e. to prevent theft) but basically to limit cases breaking open when thrown around by the baggage handling staff (although they word it nicer ). Case locks are a bit like car locks - anythief can get in to them.
Hhhmmm, doesn't sound too secure either... also, if you are going to use a TSA lock, better to have a £5 TSA lock busted/cut off by a TSA agent than a £150+ suitcase cut/busted open by a TSA agent...

The TSA approved padlocks have a little indicator window that changes from green to red if they have been opened by TSA.
Not the ones I have had - the whole padlock changed from visible to invisible when the TSA agents got their hands on them...

Boo
(in a cynical mood this evening... )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.