Charges for hi-value checked bags?

Old Aug 10, 06, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Charges for hi-value checked bags?

BA.com says that if you're checking baggage, it's covered for the standard (Warsaw Convention, I believe) amount, "unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges paid."

Anyone have any idea of what the additional charges might be? I presume it's a percentage of the declared value, but have no idea what that percentage might be. If I'm going to have to chuck my cameras into the hold...
Old Aug 10, 06, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott - Platinum Lifetime, UA- MM, AS- MVPG75
Originally Posted by chucko
BA.com says that if you're checking baggage, it's covered for the standard (Warsaw Convention, I believe) amount, "unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges paid."

Anyone have any idea of what the additional charges might be? I presume it's a percentage of the declared value, but have no idea what that percentage might be. If I'm going to have to chuck my cameras into the hold...
I don't know but after reading this thread I called my insurance company who told me my homeowners coverage covered me world-wide for theft (which they consider if the bag doesn't show up). I also have a rider for computers that covers breakage.

Even though I'm not looking forward to "checking" my laptop, if I have too at least Iknow I have insurance to cover any loss.

I'd suggest checking with your insurance company/agent to get a quote.
Old Aug 10, 06, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kennewick Guy
I don't know but after reading this thread I called my insurance company who told me my homeowners coverage covered me world-wide for theft (which they consider if the bag doesn't show up). I also have a rider for computers that covers breakage.

Even though I'm not looking forward to "checking" my laptop, if I have too at least Iknow I have insurance to cover any loss.

I'd suggest checking with your insurance company/agent to get a quote.
That's certainly a good approach. My thought, though, is that if the higher value is declared to BA (and paid for), the case will be flagged for special handling so it doesn't get lost or prowled en route.
Old Aug 10, 06, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Surely if the case was marked as high-value, it would be more of a target for any dishonest baggage handlers?
Old Aug 10, 06, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
On the basis of everything going into the hold, I've decided not to take my camera + lenses on my next trip. Oh well it will save me a fortune on devloping & printing costs when I get back.
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by chucko
...Anyone have any idea of what the additional charges might be? I presume it's a percentage of the declared value, but have no idea what that percentage might be. If I'm going to have to chuck my cameras into the hold...
Almost all airlines offer this insurance at 1% of declared value (so after 100 flights, you've bought it a 2nd time). Probably the most expensive/worst value insurance that you can buy. Lots of other alternatives (generally the cheapest is a rider on your homeowners policy, if your company offers it).
Old Aug 12, 06, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Almost all airlines offer this insurance at 1% of declared value (so after 100 flights, you've bought it a 2nd time). Probably the most expensive/worst value insurance that you can buy. Lots of other alternatives (generally the cheapest is a rider on your homeowners policy, if your company offers it).
Thanks, number_6, that's the info I was looking for. It appears that some insurers (at least in the UK) are having second thoughts about coverage for hold items: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...309322,00.html
Old Aug 12, 06, 10:53 am

Also, in many Household contents insurance policies items such as cameras and laptops have specific conditions or limits imposed (due to the easy theft and rapid depreciation of "Hi-Tech" goods.)
Old Aug 12, 06, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hi
I have so far only found one UK company who has announced that they will extend their insurance for items going into the hold:

Go Travel Insurance (click here)

Extract from info on their website:

"Extended Cover - No Hand Luggage in Cabin
Go Travel Insurance will extend its insurance coverage for valuables which would normally have been in hand luggage and will now need to be in put cases or bags in the airplane hold.

This extension is subject to our usual policy limits, terms and conditions, subject to conditions of carriage applying. This is not to be taken as a precedent and relates only to an extension as a result of the current government and airline security requirements prohibiting hand luggage.

Please note that all other policy terms and limits will remain unaltered. "

Its a pity other companies are not going down this route.
Old Aug 12, 06, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Hi
Here is another article which has a good bit about insurance and rights etc in the bottom section:

Click here

regards
Old Aug 12, 06, 11:24 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Okay, can someone confirm that BA actually offers this? We're due to fly SFO-LHR-HEL with about EUR 8000 worth of electronics (two MacBook Pros, three digital cameras, three iPods, two high-end cell phones etc), and I'd pay the 1% in a heartbeat. The only other reasonably secure option that seems to be available to us is to ship with UPS, and that looks to be about $400.

BA's own Disruption - tips for travellers page has this to say:

Customers are advised not to bring to the airport valuable or fragile items. We are unable to accept liability for such items and therefore customers wishing to carry items such as laptops or cameras are advised to check they are covered for any loss or damage under their own personal travel insurance.
This just adds insult to injury, especially on the return leg of a trip (which is our circumstance here). Needless to say, our travel insurance does not cover this either.
Old Aug 12, 06, 11:39 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by Spokeswoman for the Association of British Insurers
She advised passengers not to take valuables that cannot be replaced, adding that those who chose to take the risk should ensure that they had warranties and proofs of purchase. She suggested taking a photograph to prove that the items were in luggage.
And when the camera containing said photograph is stolen......?
Old Aug 12, 06, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Markonen
Okay, can someone confirm that BA actually offers this? ....
I can confirm that BA offers this on all routes and all flights (so does just about every other airline). It might even be a requirement of IATA membership to offer this insurance (in any case it is a huge profit center for the airline, so they are happy to do it).

However the terms of what the insurance covers varies a lot by airline. On some airlines it covers loss of baggage and not damage to contents . Sometimes it includes a list of excluded items (which typically would be computers). So you would have to check with BA whether the excess valuation insurance that they offer actually covers what you want to accomplish. I do know that BA sells travel insurance by AIG which also includes some baggage insurance (though the primary purpose is to refund your ticket cost when you cannot travel).
Old Aug 12, 06, 1:15 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Originally Posted by oyster
And when the camera containing said photograph is stolen......?
Use a digital camera and put the memory card in your wallet after you take the picture. In the unlikely event that they won't let you take the memory card on board, just mail it to yourself.
Old Aug 12, 06, 1:27 pm

Programs: M&M,UA,LH, Amex *wood
I talked with a (german) csr lady, wich stated that they would NOT offer any insurrance ...

But I have a question: On all information BA seems to differ between checked baggage and hold baggage. Is there any difference??

I am going on my honeymoon to CPT (via LHR) on th 16th, and somehow this is destroying all the fun in our club world awards ... And of course NOT bringing my DSLR and all the lenses is NOT an option ...

Search this Thread