Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed - involuntary downgrade but I want a seat in F!

Old Aug 9, 06, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)

Hi everyone. I am new to posting here but have flown with BA for years and have read the threads for some months with considerable interest.

I know you guys can be pretty harsh to new members who ask obvious questions but I have had a look and can't find an answer to my dilemma so please bear with me!

I need some help, please:

I purchased a J-class ticket from LHR-IAH a couple of months back for travel in November and upgraded to F with miles (I have hundreds of thousands of miles and wanted to try and get rid of them).
BA sent me an e-mail a few weeks ago saying my flight had been cancelled but my 'seat request' (I didn't request a seat - I was just assigned 2A on upgrading) had been carried forward to the new flight and I remained in 2A.
What they failed to mention is that they have changed the metal to a 767 and have removed the F service. F is still offered from LGW-IAH but there are now no upgrade seats available on the LGW route.

I do not want to travel in Club and am a bit ticked off that that they didn't tell me my cabin had been removed and what's more, they have kept my 50,000 miles!

I have spoken to Customer Services who are "looking into it" but I would like to ask them to change my flights to leave ex-LGW and place me in F (there are seats available, just not upgradeable ones). Do I have any rights and what do you think I should do??

If this stuff has just been posted on another thread, please be gentle with me!!!

Last edited by starlight; Aug 9, 06 at 4:40 pm
Old Aug 9, 06, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA SILVER thanks to flyertalk :)
Originally Posted by starlight
Hi everyone. I am new to posting here but have flown with BA for years and have read the threads for some months with considerable interest.

I know you guys can be pretty harsh to new members who ask obvious questions but I have had a look and can't find an answer to my dilemma so please bear with me!

I need some help, please:

I purchased a J-class ticket from LHR-IAH a couple of months back for travel in November and upgraded to F with miles (I have hundreds of thousands of miles and wanted to try and get rid of them).
BA sent me an e-mail a few weeks ago saying my flight had been cancelled but my 'seat request' (I didn't request a seat - I was just assigned 2A on upgrading) had been carried forward to the new flight and I remained in 2A.
What they failed to mention is that they have changed the metal to a 766 and have removed the F service. F is still offered from LGW-IAH but there are now no upgrade seats available on the LGW route.

I do not want to travel in Club and am a bit ticked off that that they didn't tell me my cabin had been removed and what's more, they have kept my 50,000 miles!

I have spoken to Customer Services who are "looking into it" but I would like to ask them to change my flights to leave ex-LGW and place me in F (there are seats available, just not upgradeable ones). Do I have any rights and what do you think I should do??

If this stuff has just been posted on another thread, please be gentle with me!!!
There is infact a policy in place where they can put you on a different flight in the same class due to "involuntary reroute" its part of the commercial policy at BA if your happy to go lgw to iah then tell them to swap your flight under there commercial policy!

PS if you get stuck pm me your pnr ref and i will look into it

thanks
Old Aug 9, 06, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
This is quite an interesting case and there has not been anything similar like this on FT for a while.

Firstly, be it a bit nosey, why did you choose the LHR-IAH service over the LGW service: I can understand CR and MB Spa however clearing customs at ORD must be a bit of a pain. You should definitely get your 50,000 miles back and it would be pretty nasty of BA not to do so.

Keep us posted and welcome to FT!
Old Aug 9, 06, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I think there are 2 issues here.

1. You've been moved to a lesser cabin and this fact has not been clearly communicated to you.

2. The miles you used to purchase the upgrade have not been refunded to you.

This second point is indefensible - you've paid for a product you're not getting and the extra should be refunded if you end up travelling in J.

The first is less clear, but not what I (or you) would expect from BA, especially given you hold a gold card.

I think Ali_C's suggestion is the best one (if you're happy for it). Ask that they put you on the LGW flight - the fact that there are no redemption seats is not really relevant; BA have caused the problem so they should try to put it right. Perhaps a gesture of miles would smooth things over as well

Let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 9, 06, 4:54 pm
Bukhara

When the email advising of the cancellation is sent, it should have made clear that your booking had been cancelled and asked you to reconfirm new flights in J as opposed to F. The refund of your miles would have to be done with a real person as the online system is not sophisticated enough to rebook you, downgrade you, and give you your miles back.

It should not be a problem to rebook in F ex-LGW. I think you just need to speak to the right person who will have the courage in their convictions and rebook your Z class booking into a revenue class. When your flight has been cancelled/service downgraded, it does not matter how your booking has been paid for. If BA have an alternative flight, you should be rebooked to that flight without any hassle. You should also be entitled to a refund of about 10 as taxes are lower on ex-LGW services.

Old Aug 9, 06, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
Thanks everyone! I am glad you all seem to agree with me and I am certainly going to ask them to book me ex-LGW. I chose LHR simply because I live nearer LHR than LGW and on the return journey it is much less hassle driving home and I don't mind the extra flying time - can always sip champagne although there's a whole other thread!

It also appears (from checkmytrip.com) that not only has the service from LHR-IAH changed, but it now goes through Detroit, not Chiacgo...? I don't want to buy a Hummer!
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Welcome to FT.

I hope BA is able to sort you out with seats in First ex LGW.

The LHR-IAH service recently switched from BA294/5 with stop at ORD to BA202/203 with stop at DTW which is reason behind the cancellation. Whilst this change may offer a number of operational advantages to the airline, unfortunately it is not one that is extended to its passengers. BA has a fantastic presence at ORD's T5 which helps make the stopover a comfortable one. At DTW its far less so - compounded by the chaotic immigration set up and absence of proper Lounge facilities at the McNamara terminal.
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
I don't want to buy a Hummer!
You wouldn't be able to take it with you on board anyway with the new rules on cabin baggage !
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Welcome to Flyertalk!

There shouldn't be any problems moving you to a flight where there is no award availability left. The wife and I are booked on an MFU itinerary (WT+ to CW) and our flight was cancelled, we were automatically moved to an earlier flight which had no availability and were upgraded from a 777 to upper deck 747

I don't want to buy a Hummer!
Good god, who would?
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:32 pm
Bukhara

It also appears (from checkmytrip.com) that not only has the service from LHR-IAH changed, but it now goes through Detroit, not Chiacgo...? I don't want to buy a Hummer!
Oooh dear! This had long been rumoured. Shame you were a victim of this adjustment.

Old Aug 11, 06, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Just to report back - BA rang me yesterday lunchtime (of all days) and have place me on the flight ex-LGW in 1A.
Thanks again!
Old Aug 11, 06, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Fraser
Welcome to Flyertalk!

There shouldn't be any problems moving you to a flight where there is no award availability left. The wife and I are booked on an MFU itinerary (WT+ to CW) and our flight was cancelled, we were automatically moved to an earlier flight which had no availability and were upgraded from a 777 to upper deck 747
And my cancelled flight tomorrow (213) has been moved by the lovely people in Newcstle to Sunday, and the return extended by a day. Which was very kind of them given that I'd MFU'd, and there was untill a day or so ago, no space on that flight, and I know people who will be on the return flight - so bonus!

One thing that didn't happen is I asked for an UD seat (yes I know being very cheeky), so I logged into MMB to check. I found I was allocated something on the main deck, so I tried to get something on the UD and there were a few seats available, I bagged one. Despite missing a day, It's not going as badly as it could be.

Originally Posted by Fraser
Good god, who would?
I believe the 'Govenator' in CA does.

Search this Thread