Using The F Visitor Seat For Take-Off / Landing?

Old Aug 8, 06, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Question Using The F Visitor Seat For Take-Off / Landing?

Never seen anyone doing it, but is this possible? I'm travelling with a terrified flyer soon and it might help if I were allowed to take her visitor seat for T/O. I know they have seatbelts.
Old Aug 8, 06, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I do not think so. I thought that there was a sign on them not to be used for take off landing. In addition there would be the danger of the two people facing each other crashing into each other in the event of a crash/aborted take off.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 06, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Try this , it thorougly helped me (I do NOT have any affiliation) and iMHO is the best quick AND long term fix I know of - I tried them all!
Old Aug 8, 06, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

You're right, TBS, I remember seeing that now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Just have to get her smashed in the Concorde Room instead!
Old Aug 8, 06, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dakota
You're right, TBS, I remember seeing that now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Just have to get her smashed in the Concorde Room instead!

Hi,

!! Good idea!

Alternatively try to get 1A & 1K and you might be able to hold her hand during takeoff.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 06, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

!! Good idea!

Alternatively try to get 1A & 1K and you might be able to hold her hand during takeoff.

Regards

TBS
You mean 1E/1F ?
Old Aug 8, 06, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I would have thought any of the centre seats on either the 747, or the 777 would be the best idea for you both. Gives you the best proximity next to each other (including at a little stretch, the ability to hold her hand), but also is the furthest away from the windows. Mrs Efin isn't too hot with the whole window seat thing, as she's still a little nervous with take-offs, so we went for the centre seats during our trip in F to JFK last November.

Efin
Old Aug 9, 06, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Efin, TBS - 1 A/K would be ideal, but are assigned for both our (full) flights. I'll see if they're available at OLCI. Can't stand the centre seats and both of us prefer windows.

Strangely, her discomfort is solely with the take-off and landing flight phases, otherwise she loves the view. No, I can't work it out either... Rohypnol, anyone?
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Dakota
Strangely, her discomfort is solely with the take-off and landing flight phases, otherwise she loves the view. No, I can't work it out either...
Maybe she's heard the old advice: "When flying, try to stay near the centre of the air. The edges are the dangerous places where things happen."
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:04 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Try putting your friend on one of the fear of flying courses, they have a very high success rate.
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Try putting your friend on one of the fear of flying courses, they have a very high success rate.
I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post but this what I was saying - I did all the Fear of flying courses - this one in my opinion was the best and MOST effective - you can do online, if you are travelling soon then it is still extrememly helpful- you obviously don't have to heed my recommendation but it is better than drugging her!

Here's the link
www.fearofflying.com
Old Aug 9, 06, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Sorry, pachamama, remiss of me not to respond, but I didn't look properly at that and assumed it was one of those courses which requires pre-booking and a day's attendance, etc., which is not an immediate option. Will look into that and other permanent solutions. Thanks.

Not sure I agree about the drugging!

Originally Posted by pachamama
I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post but this what I was saying - I did all the Fear of flying courses - this one in my opinion was the best and MOST effective - you can do online, if you are travelling soon then it is still extrememly helpful- you obviously don't have to heed my recommendation but it is better than drugging her!

Here's the link
www.fearofflying.com

Search this Thread