How much food is wasted in first? A solution.

Old Jul 8, 06, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
How much food is wasted in first? A solution.

If for arguments sake - two people were flying in the F cabin - would they carry two of every item on the menu? What do they do with the ones that neither person wants?

They normally have 3 choices - must result in in 4 perfectly good meals being binned. Or are they useable in the future i.e. frozen.

Must be away around this obvious waste - would people object to being offered the menu while still in the lounge? Could they encourage you with say a £10 duty free voucher if you ordered your meal 24 hours in advance online. Must save BA more than that - I think I read it costs about £20 for a F meal (can't remember where).

They could even go the whole hog - and give you a far bigger menu - with 20 items on it - only available if you ordered 24 hours in advance online.

I guess it would result in major complaints if people somehow got served a meal they did not order - people get upset enough if they don't get the seat they wanted...

Would you take a £10 duty free voucher for pre-booking your choice of meal?

I would. When I see the menu's posted by CIHY - 9/10 I know exactly what I will have - and normally do (unless it has already ran out - my pet hate).
Old Jul 8, 06, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I pay for choice on FIRST and don't always know in advance what I will feel like eating. I think you will find the food is not wasted - What do you think the crew eat???!!!!
Old Jul 8, 06, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ offer a 'Book the Cook' service in J and F, but this is in addition to the regular menu. Personally I have no interest in pre-ordering as i have no idea what I will feel like eating that day.

IIRC from nosing at the catering list F is catered to 200%, certainly I have never missed my choice. Perhaps only siting in row 1/2 helps?
Old Jul 8, 06, 11:53 am

You can't even reheat meals let alone freeze them. Even club food is squabbled over by crew so I imagine food from First is scoffed by the flight crew and CSD. Personally I don't touch the stuff unless its fresh as I have already had to go on a diet to fit into my uniform after too many hot meals and I don't intend having to do that again
Old Jul 8, 06, 6:16 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by pointcrazy
is not wasted - What do you think the crew eat???!!!!

OK, Qantas not BA, but... My QF trolley dolly friends would regularly come to dinner with me here in London on the night of their arrival on the flights from Asia. As a contribution, they would always bring gourmet Australian cheeses, perhaps some beef fillet already seared but not fully cooked, bottles of fantastic wine which (mostly) had been opened but recorked, and so on. It was always a laugh seeing what goodies were proffered each time.

Sadly with Qantas crew now being London based, my Aussie mates don't get here that often.

Anyway, my point is, not as much goes to waste as you might think!

James
Old Jul 8, 06, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by blawson
They could even go the whole hog - and give you a far bigger menu - with 20 items on it - only available if you ordered 24 hours in advance online.
Do you not think that passengers in the F cabin have better things to do the day before they fly than log on to the internet to order some [email protected] airline food
Old Jul 9, 06, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci! And BA Silver – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 5, Bronze 2
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Do you not think that passengers in the F cabin have better things to do the day before they fly than log on to the internet to order some [email protected] airline food
Absolutely... they are doing MMB for Netjets.
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by pointcrazy
I pay for choice on FIRST and don't always know in advance what I will feel like eating. I think you will find the food is not wasted - What do you think the crew eat???!!!!
Now come on.... Are you seriously suggesting that the crew sit in the First galley and gorge themselves on leftover Lamb Shank and Seabass???? How very dare you indeed!!!!!!!!

I can assure you that this almost never never happens.

The wasteage in First is shocking. Disgusting really. Particularly when flying to places in India and Pakistan. We leave an aircraft full of food that get chucked out and are immediately pounced upon by kids when we leave the terminal who look like they haven't had a good meal in weeks.

Sadly, some crew used to take the p1ss a bit and would take anything that wasn't nailed down. The company had to put an end to us taking ANYTHING off the jet, unless it came from our crew trolley.

I applaud you (not you, pointcrazy, I'm still not happy with you for your outrageous suggestion....) for caring and for putting forward this suggestion, but sadly, I doubt it would work. Next time you fly First, just help us avoid wasteage by gorging yourself on all the goodies!

Last edited by Tits McGhee; Jul 9, 06 at 10:05 am
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Next time you fly First, just help us avoid wasteage by gorging yourself on all the goodies!
Wonderful idea...rest-assured, G-BOAC will be doing his bit to help BA in a couple of weeks. It's a tough job, but the OP makes a good point, and someone's gotta do it...
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold...Aah how nice! HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,AA Yellow + Tesco
Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Now come on.... Are you seriously suggesting that the crew sit in the First galley and gorge themselves on leftover Lamb Shank and Seabass???? How very dare you indeed!!!!!!!!

I can assure you that this almost never never happens.
Tits, Most of the time I have found the F crew dining in the galley on the remains of the F Dinner Trolley! I have no probs at all with it as it is a "perk" of dealing with all those stroppy business folk and over chatty FT pax asking about AVOD and New J Seats

On my last flight I went back to get a drink and the 3 of them looked up at me with an "Oh no, you've caught us" look. It was quite amusing

I just got my drink and told them to try the desert I had too as it was fantastic!
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
On LH, the appetisers and deserts in F are brought round on a trolley, and when everyone has had their choice, the trolley comes round again and you can pig on as much and as many different ones as you like!
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:35 am

Programs: AA million miler
[QUOTE=blawson]Must be away around this obvious waste

but there is already (from the BA site)

"Pre-flight dining
Enjoy our waiter service dining in the FIRST lounge, giving you maximum sleep time on-board*.

*Available on all flights departing after 8pm hours from London Heathrow and selected overnight flights from New York’s John F Kennedy and Newark, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto, Chicago and Boston airports. Opening times may vary. "

now just extend this to all flights at all times of day-

free up the travelers time to be productive on board without dealing with meal trays-

so, the airline saves waste, and you can still booze it up-
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:42 am

Programs: AA million miler
oh- and its customary on flights to/from japan in F (at least on JL, UA, AA, NH) to prebook the Japanese bento meal- even at time of making the reservation-to ensure that you do get it- so they do not overcater this item

there may be a few loaded anyway but its often not available if you haven't preordered

we've had this six times so far this year- and maybe its "truly japanese" but neither me, my wife or son really enjoyed the flavors and textures

i am sure the native japanese people were oohing and aaahing over the broad range of bites, but for us, a lot of it was "icky"

sorry, sea urchin guts are not my favorite...
Old Jul 9, 06, 10:58 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Sell it to the poeple in Y.
Old Jul 9, 06, 6:58 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I Flew Qantas/BA cide share SIN-LHR a few weeks ago and the F Cabin had 14 Passengers, 12 immediately went to sleep [Presumably they had dinner Ex OZ]and only 2 of us had anything to eat. I can't even imagine the waste on that sector. Even the Crew could not have eaten what was unused.

Search this Thread