Need some impartial advice...

Old Jul 7, 06, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Need some impartial advice...

OK, am flying MCO-BOS later in the year.

I have three options of carrier - Jet Blue, Delta or AA.

Timewise, Delta is best followed by AA then Jet Blue
Status wise, I have top tier in skytem so that gets me priority boarding/check-in on delta but no free lounge access
Pricewise there's nothing in it in Y, only AA offers F at the right time and that's about 4 times the cost of Y so not worth it IMO.
I can buy access into the DL lounge via priority pass.

Jet Blue would probably be my first choice even though i've never used them, but the flight times aren't great.
I just feel flying AA in coach with no status will be akin to being on Ryanair.
Therefore, I'm erring towards Delta...

Any comments

(oh, to keep it on topic, we connect to a BA flight in BOS )
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

Status wise, I have top tier in skytem so that gets me priority boarding/check-in on delta but no free lounge access
Pricewise there's nothing in it in Y, only AA offers F at the right time and that's about 4 times the cost of Y so not worth it IMO.

Jet Blue would probably be my first choice even though i've never used them, but the flight times aren't great.
I just feel flying AA in coach with no status will be akin to being on Ryanair.
Therefore, I'm erring towards Delta...

Any comments

(oh, to keep it on topic, we connect to a BA flight in BOS )
Don't forget the ability to check your bags all the way through to London from the American Airlines flight. Surely this is incentive enough?
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't honestly see why you wouldn't take DL, as it goes as the best time, you have status for priority boarding, you can pay for DL lounge access. What more can you want?
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I have a friend who lives in the US and she really likes JetBlue - she uses them for short hop internal flights all the time.

However, as the previous poster said, being able to through-check your baggage must count for a lot...

BAH
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I have a friend who lives in the US and she really likes JetBlue - she uses them for short hop internal flights all the time.

However, as the previous poster said, being able to through-check your baggage must count for a lot...

BAH
If you go AA --> BA i THINK that you can link the PNRs and not be completely washed if something happens with the B6 or DL flight. That and having your bags go all the way through is lovely.
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry, should have been a little clearer. We fly up in the evening, overnight at the Hilton then back home on the daytime BA service.

I don't know if AA would accept the bags right through, and the other contender is that since we're coming from disney we can check bags at the hotel through to a domestic destination, but not an international one.

Smirnoff - I think you're right, DL is the obvious winner...
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
I'd agree - a no-brainer given your status and the convenient flight times.
Old Jul 7, 06, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I did a JetBlue FLL-IAD last Xmas, and it was well worth it- No lounge access but, I survived. Live TV was a great plus.

I could not interline to BAm which coiuld be an issue depending how much you have.

I would fly JetBlue before the others if is Y only. (but I would pay with a BA amex to get some miles )
Old Jul 7, 06, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Delta Crown lounge is rather nice as well. Not been there in a while however they used to have nice vanilla biscuit wafer things in a jar on the bar.
Old Jul 7, 06, 8:42 am
Suspended

Sorry, should have been a little clearer. We fly up in the evening, overnight at the Hilton then back home on the daytime BA service.

I don't know if AA would accept the bags right through, and the other contender is that since we're coming from disney we can check bags at the hotel through to a domestic destination, but not an international one.

Will you be flying on delta or Song - I was impressed by Song, helpful smiley staff, nice martinis in flight and great IFE, though I heard it was closing....
Old Jul 7, 06, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krug
Will you be flying on delta or Song - I was impressed by Song, helpful smiley staff, nice martinis in flight and great IFE, though I heard it was closing....
Yes, it has all closed now, but the flight is scheduled as a one class 757, so presumably an ex-song plane.

Plot thinkens slightly by a reference on the Flying Blue board that skyteam elite plus get CRC access even on domestic itineraries....
Old Jul 7, 06, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Plot thinkens slightly by a reference on the Flying Blue board that skyteam elite plus get CRC access even on domestic itineraries....
That's what I thought but given that I barely fly Skyteam I was going to keep my mouth shut. I thought the deal was that, as long as your status came from a non-US Skyteam member, you'll get lounge access in the US even on domestic flights.
Old Jul 7, 06, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, an update for those interested...

I logged onto the Delta site an hour ago and couldn't believe that the fares had gone from $144 to $299 each since Friday

Anyway, looked a bit more and they had pulled the Song 757's off the route but replaced them with 2-class 737's

What's more, DL's F (A) class is $200 less than AA's YUP fare and we get a 50% discount for the nipper (!) so my wallet is now several hundred pounds lighter.

Furthermore, I got an e-mail from Delta today confirming that KLM Elite Plus members do indeed get lounge access. No reference to international flights or anything else.

And just to top it all off, the DL flight has been put back 55 minutes, making the timing as good as perfect!

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Jul 9, 06 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 9, 06, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

dupe - deleted
Old Jul 9, 06, 2:06 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
OK, an update for those interested...

I logged onto the Delta site an hour ago and couldn't believe that the fares had gone from $144 to $299 each since Friday

Anyway, looked a bit more and they had pulled the Song 757's off the route but replaced them with 2-class 737's

What's more, DL's F (A) class is $200 less than AA's YUP fare and we get a 50% discount for the nipper (!) so my wallet is now several hundred pounds lighter.

Furthermore, I got an e-mail from Delta today confirming that KLM Elite Plus members do indeed get lounge access. No reference to international flights or anything else.

And just to top it all off, the DL flight has been put back 55 minutes, making the timing as good as perfect!
Tony, It looks as though the answer is made - if everything fits why travel on AA. However - if you have elite status at DL - won't AA comp you the equivialany? Worth asking the question perhaps? I hear fair to middling things about DL - HI (dare I mention this here has flown twice to CVG in BE and it appears to be rather dependent on who is flying that day!)

Search this Thread