Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should the £12 fare to NYC (plus tax) put BA to shame?

Old Jul 7, 06, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

OK, in this - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576458 - thread, a £12 fare to New York is identified.

I can't believe that it's actually worth BA selling the ticket at this price if - as we are led to believe - all the other elements (taxes/surcharges etc) are passed on to third parties.

I assume this would yield 25% miles, so about 800 each way. At 1.7p per mile, that's worth £27 on the round trip - and that's before you start adding in the costs of drinks, meals etc.

Somewhat shameful IMO and it simply underlines what many of us have been thinking for some time.
Old Jul 7, 06, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Absolutely right. The £6 each way cannot be considered a 'fare' as it cannot cover the basic elements of transporting and feeding a person across the Atlantic. It smells of O'Liaryism.

Of course, £148.60 is the real fare, OK by any standards.

The masquerade of a 'fare' plus taxes, fees, charges and surcharges is now proved to be untenable and must bring forward the day when we see all-inclusive prices as standard.
Old Jul 7, 06, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
OK, in this - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576458 - thread, a £12 fare to New York is identified.

I can't believe that it's actually worth BA selling the ticket at this price if - as we are led to believe - all the other elements (taxes/surcharges etc) are passed on to third parties.
I suspect this is more a case of a lack of joined-up activity.

The actual promotional fare £112.00 + TFC of £136.60 = £248.60 is in line with many other NYC promotions.

The Travel Shops promotion is not being heavily advertised and is a bit of a one-off.

And so I'll bet that nobody in BA spotted in advance that these two promotions would be so easily combined to produce the £12 base fare. Not that many people will have been immediately aware that this could be done (although if the press surf here or anywhere similar, they'll soon cotton on). I doubt that selling £12 base fare to NYC was a deliberate decision on BA's part.
Old Jul 7, 06, 4:48 am

I should point out this fare has now been discovered (as of last night) on MSE, so I suspect availability will dry up quickly!
Old Jul 7, 06, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theworld
I should point out this fare has now been discovered (as of last night) on MSE, so I suspect availability will dry up quickly!
Note that this comes out of the same bucket as the £112 fare though - it might last a while longer than you think...

Search this Thread