FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier point runs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/575992-tier-point-runs.html)

fatfrank Jul 5, 2006 2:55 am

Tier point runs

Hello everyone,

I remember some time ago there used to be a few threads on things like runs to AGP via BCN on Iberia etc.

My business travel has dried up completely, so if I am going to retain Silver this year, I need some tier point runs to do so...anyone have any suggestions for what can be done before Feb next year?

Cheers

Aerotec Jul 5, 2006 3:00 am

Hi Fatfrank,

The AGP/BCN trip deals dried up too last year so sadly they are no more. It really is a case of doing some I-Class deals to get 80 TPs for the round trip, or you have the other options like the YUP fares in the US, BAH-DOH runs in the Middle East or the good old GLA-BRR-BEB round trip that gets you 80 TPs and a superb beach landing experience!

Need info on any then do a search or give us a shout.

Rich

Raffles Jul 5, 2006 3:04 am

Assuming you don't want to travel for the sake of it (ie you want to visit some interesting places as well as collect TP's!), I recommend a mix of:

a) I-class trips to Europe at £200-ish each for 80 TP's. A few nice weekends in Nice, Italy or Spain as the winter draws in sounds very pleasant!

b) Do an ex-AMS MFU trip to, say, New York for a long weekend. You'll probably pay around £800 plus 25,000 miles to upgrade an ex-AMS WT+ ticket to CW, and the trip will get you 20 + 75 + 75 + 20 = 190 TP's, assuming you do the last leg back to AMS.

If you can pursuade the lounge dragons at AMS to move you to an earlier flight, you may well get 40 TP's for your first leg ;) but YMMV.

fatfrank Jul 5, 2006 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Assuming you don't want to travel for the sake of it

Thanks! Would your advice change if I did just travel for the sake of it!?

swissytrader Jul 5, 2006 3:11 am

I see from your profile that you are BA Gold.
I believe that BAEC have a 'soft landing' , wheras you only drop to silver and not straight to blue.

srbrenna Jul 5, 2006 3:13 am

I managed to get 600 points in one trip to DOH. I think BA have sales on in the summer so this may well be the on the cards. DOH is very nice and I'd especially recomment the Ritz-Carlton there if you were thinking of staying for a few days.

Basically I got a LHR - BAH I fare in the sale last year for about £950 and then booked the BAH - DOH in F separately. I checked through my bags to the final destination both ways. I got 240 points for the LHR - BAH - LHR and 360 for the BAH - DOH - BAH. Silver in one go!

If you want to do this without staying, leave LHR at 10.30 on Saturday morning and you can be back in London at around 6.30 on Sunday morning ;)

clubman Jul 5, 2006 3:34 am

Originally Posted by swissytrader

Nope, it says Silver...
Unless he just changed it?

gcollett Jul 5, 2006 3:34 am

I just did the LGW-DUB-LDY-DUB-LGW daytrip in J (I LGW-DUB and Y DUB-LDY I think), about £270 for 120 tier points, walk the walls in Derry - some fascinating stuff there and reasonable value if you are London based...

Raffles Jul 5, 2006 3:35 am

Originally Posted by fatfrank
Thanks! Would your advice change if I did just travel for the sake of it!?

Possibly - because it would be cheaper and more convenient to do 2 runs to AMS or CDG on the same day, rather than 2 I-class trips to, say, Lisbon or Barcelona.

theworld Jul 5, 2006 3:52 am

You could easily do a one day (or even shorter) I class run to the lovely island of Jersey for as low as £177 and net 80TPs.

Fraser Jul 5, 2006 6:15 am

Originally Posted by swissytrader
I believe that BAEC have a 'soft landing' , wheras you only drop to silver and not straight to blue.

Don't you need to take 4 TP earning flights on BA metal to drop to Silver though?

I thought if you just stopped flying and creditted nothing to the account you'd drop from Gold to Blue.

fatfrank Jul 5, 2006 6:20 am

Just to clarify my situation, I dropped from Gold to Silver in Feb, and I am wanting to retain silver by next Feb, hence the need for 600 points.

Cheers

flyclub Jul 5, 2006 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Possibly - because it would be cheaper and more convenient to do 2 runs to AMS or CDG on the same day.

Indeed. :D ^ ;)

gcollett Jul 5, 2006 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Don't you need to take 4 TP earning flights on BA metal to drop to Silver though?

I thought if you just stopped flying and creditted nothing to the account you'd drop from Gold to Blue.

Is this correct? anyone tried it out?!

swissytrader Jul 5, 2006 6:43 am

Originally Posted by fatfrank
Just to clarify my situation, I dropped from Gold to Silver in Feb, and I am wanting to retain silver by next Feb, hence the need for 600 points.

Cheers

I see you have just updated your profile to reflect this.
This makes my earlier post useless !!