Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI got the 'Clap'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
This is a very normal thing on LY flights (and probably on other Israeli airlines too) I have yet to be on one of their flights (and I have done a few, as my profile might reveal...) without this happening.

Personally I find it a little embarrassing.

Last edited by clubman; Jul 3, 2006 at 5:43 pm
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Aerotec
Was there a large school group?
There would have been a lot of holiday traffic, and therefore kids, particularly on the BHD-LHR sector as our schools finished for the summer last Friday.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Aerotec
it is just so "LCC"
bmi.....LCC ? surely you mean 'Modular'
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've noticed this after longhaul flights, usually in Y when there are American under 21s who have chosen BA so they can drink.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Invariably happens on Cyprus Airways too.

I remember years ago a storm of clapping the microsecond the plane touched the tarmac...except little old me who sat there 'normally'.

The Cypriot guy next to me turned and asked "Why you not clapping ?"

To which I replied "The plane hasn't stopped yet."

It went very quiet from his side...
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you seen the length of the runway at BHD?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Any flights in South America, are gauranteed a round of applause, I like to make a game of it and clap on airlines where there is no clapping. Always amusing to see how many sheep join in.

Oh AZ always clap, and once on a very rough NAP-FCO leg there was cheering, I could feel a Mexican wave coming on but restrained myself and got a beach ball out instead.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
Any flights in South America, are gauranteed a round of applause.
Really? Never had any clapping on AV, TA, RG, KL in South America. Mind you, with RG, I suppose that you probably get a clap if the plane actually takes off, these days.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by NickB
Really? Never had any clapping on AV, TA, RG, KL in South America. Mind you, with RG, I suppose that you probably get a clap if the plane actually takes off, these days.
I have flown LA, TA, AR, RG and when it was around Faucett (that was an adventure in itself, although my flight on JS in a few months will probably set new safety standard lows). Always got a clap on them, sometimes you need to give them a kick along though. Try it next time. You are correct about RG the clapping occurs when the landing gear is retracted on takeoff.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:41 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
After living in Europe (Greece and Italy) for about a year now, and having flown on countless flights around the continent, this is definitely a phenomenon I've witness. The first time, Athens-Rome, I thought they'd gone mad. Then when it happened Rome-Budapest, I figured, What the hell, I'll join in the next time. Then flying back Budapest-Milan, I was the lone crackhead clapping! Go figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.