Defecting from the bearded side

Old Jul 2, 06, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Defecting from the bearded side

I'm considering making a big switch from Virgin to BA for all business and leisure travel, mostly due to some travel requirements to non-VS destinations and also because we have pretty much exhausted the leisure options on the bearded-one's route network.

At the moment we collect VS Flying Club miles from Amex (transfer of MR points) and the Virgin/MBNA card, and I'm trying to work out how best to configure our miles earning for BA.

From perusing this parish I have got as far as:

First up, both of us switch to BA Amex Premium Plus (and we both put through 10K per year to get 2-4-1 vouchers).
Second, get a Tesco Clubcard and get the cat food contributing to my mileage account
Third, open a Household Account in order to share miles effectively.
Fourth, ensure I get the 25% Silver bonus by focusing my tier point earning and getting to Silver ASAP.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help get my BAEC mileage balance growing (err... besides flying plenty I suppose!).

Thanks,

BC
Old Jul 2, 06, 7:16 am

Programs: BA, bmi, FB, GF, WFC.
Welcome from the Dark Side..!

I'd add a Tesco Credit Card onto the list, for those non-Amex moments, I've got Tesco Platinum Card, but I know they have changed their cards recently, I think the Platinum card maybe "legacy" users only, have a dive into the Tesco thread on here or someone round here will put you on the right track.

Tesco do a nice line in bonus coupons that come out at check-out when you use your Clubcard, these are useful "extra points" often well in excess of the product they are pushing. Like 100 points if you spend a couple of quid on fruit and veg.

G'luck..!
Old Jul 2, 06, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Black Cat,

Remember that the cheaper Economy tickets will not earn any tier points at all ( and only 25% miles. ( only YBH fares will earn full miles/tier points).

Cheap Club Europe fares and World Traveler plus ( Premium Economy) will earn miles and tp's.

If in the US then consider doing a tier point run on American Airlines ( a YUP fare that books into F and gets the F tier points and 150% miles ie 800 at certain times of year for BOS/NYC- LAX-HNL rtn (for upto 720 tps on a rtn trip- alomsot half way to Gold ( 4 tierpoint earning flights must be on BA metal for Gold/Silver cards)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 2, 06, 8:37 am

Programs: BA; Marriott; HH Gold,
checkout the Tesco and BA thread for how things work. Also join all the Tesco clubs, Kids, Wine, Toddler, Healthy Eating etc in order to get mailings with extra points coupons
Old Jul 2, 06, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Given there are 2 of you, you need to play the 2 for 1 Amex game properly. This works if your Amex spend is likely to exceed 20,000 a year.

If both of you are getting your own AMEX PP (that's 2 lot of annual fees to AMEX), get a supplementary card for each other. An Amex voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of qualification; i.e. the month you pass your 10,000 spend. For example, my Amex year starts in March 2006 and surprise, surprise I qualified to receive my 2-4-1 voucher in May 2006. Any further Amex spend between June 2006 to March 2007 will not count to a further 2-4-1 voucher (only one voucher a year).

My voucher is valid for travel until a date in May 2007 next year. It is unlikely that I will be able to accumulate sufficient miles for a decent use of the 2-4-1 voucher. However, if the both of you put your spend on one account (say 10,000 in six months), get your 2 for 1 voucher. Then, start spending on the other card to build to your second 2-4-1 voucher. This minimises you voucher overlap time. Given your household account, you will be sharing the miles in any case.
Old Jul 2, 06, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Thanks all -- I had forgotten about AA YUP fares and will add supplementary Amex PP and more focus on Tesco (credit card and mailing lists) to the list.

Thanks once again. Any other tips?

BC
Old Jul 2, 06, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try and keep your flying to BA and QF flight numbers. Mileage earning on other OW partners is pretty poor with a lower cabin bonus and no tier bonus.

The usual car hire/hotel earning options are open to you - as I am pretty sure they are with Flying Club.
Old Jul 2, 06, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Of course for BA EC miles earning, Hilton only gives 500 miles ( 100 for Homewood/Scandic) compared to 1000/200 for VS but Starwood and Marriott are also members.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 2, 06, 11:59 am

Programs: Platinum Amex, BAEC Blue, BA PP Amex, Club SLH, Avis Wizard
Swap you some BA miles for your Virgin ones?

Search this Thread