Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Amex Platinum is it worth £300 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Hang on. I thought SPG was forever, not just 2 years? It was forever when I signed up. Is this a new change I didn't know about from the recent changes/new packs they sent out? I'll have to go read them more closely...
It's confusing.

I posted a question in the Amex forum, as this month's Departues states that SPG is now only good for one year!!

I just had a look through the packet and didn't notice anything regarding the limit.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Is the included travel insurance worth it?

Is the cover provided by the AMEX Plat travel insurance suffient? I ask the question because I remember reading a warning about "free" travel insurance not covering terrorist attacks in the telegraph:

Daily Telegraph On The Case Column 06 May 2006

Originally Posted by Daily Telegraph On The Case Column 06 May 2006
When I write about travel insurance, readers often complain that I leave out the really cheap, even "free" deals, including travel policies offered by banks and credit-card providers. This is one of the reasons why.

Most cheap policies exclude all claims - even medical claims - made as a result of the following: "war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, terrorism, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion…" In my view this is unacceptable or, as one insurance underwriter put it, "a disgrace". Finding yourself caught up in a terrorist incident is still very rare, but it is essential to buy a policy that covers the risk. Even some tour operators' policies only cover emergency medical treatment for acts of terrorism.
I'm just curious to know if the AMEX travel insurance covers everything advised above and things like skiing. And can you get pre-existing medical conditions covered?

Why I'm curious I don't know since I'm not sure a UK AMEX card would be of much use to me here in France! But I would be tempted to get one (and a BA AMEX) when I go back to the UK.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
The Amex Plat travel insurance has recently been enhanced - no, really enhanced, not "enhanced". The full policy is at http://www.americanexpress.com/pes/u...m_benefits.pdf

Winter sports including off-piste skiing with a guide, parascending, scuba-diving and "most adventurous and usual holiday sports" are covered.

For me one of the main benefits is that family members are covered up to age 80 so my Dad and his wife are covered - actually the cover can extend to "you, your partner, your children, up to five supplementary cardholders, their partners and children"

Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Also claims caused by terrorist activities (except on a public vehicle) are not covered.

Having said that I think the cover is pretty generous - and can testify to its success on lost baggage - £300 to spend after four hours without your bags, and another £300 after 48 hours. Just phone them up and you can go out and start spending...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:44 am
jhm

There's a recent enhancement to the travel insurance which alters the legal relationship - it was in a post by The Saint - previously, you had direct rights against the insurer so you could sue the insurer if the insurer failed to pay etc. Now, Amex hold such rights in trust for their members so it is ENTIRELY up to Amex whether they want to take up your claim if it is not paid. Certainly something to give pause for thought where you could be liable for (say) a huge medical bill but Amex may (in theory) refuse to help you recover from the insurer.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:47 am

It's all down to whether you actually use the benefits whether it is value or not. My personal 'value' has changed somewhat over the years. The main benefits I see are as follows:

Travel Insurance - it is a good policy and covers all your family and supplementary card holders. Assuming you travel a fair but I reckon it's got to be worth £100.

The NA Car Hire insurance is superb value and the original reason I got the Amex card. I tend to use it less now that most bookings made in the UK are 'fully inclusive'. It used to be that 'fly-drives' gave you the hire car for very little (but you paid a fortune for insurance on arrival) but now that I do MFUs and other creative ways to fly business I just don't buy el-cheapo fly drives anymore. If you do use it, though, it can save you £15 a day which adds up over a fortnight.

Priority Pass for 2 - For us, this is invaluable - we both travel now (at least every fortnight, often weekly) for business and neither of us have BA status. A wide variety of domestic routes flown mean flying with Easyjet, BA, flyBE, bmi (lounge with plat!!), Scot Air etc mean it's difficult to get status and to be honest with Priority Pass and bmi lounge access it removes the need for the main status perk for us (lounge access).

Hilton Gold - nice to have but not that hard to earn anyway. Have yet to score a mega-suite when it actually counts (when on holiday!)

SPG Gold - again, nice to have.

Free BA Premium Plus Amex - instant saving of £120 fee. We would have this card regardless, just for the 2 for 1 voucher which we use once a year.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by matthewuk
Priority Pass for 2 - For us, this is invaluable - we both travel now (at least every fortnight, often weekly) for business and neither of us have BA status. A wide variety of domestic routes flown mean flying with Easyjet, BA, flyBE, bmi (lounge with plat!!), Scot Air etc mean it's difficult to get status and to be honest with Priority Pass and bmi lounge access it removes the need for the main status perk for us (lounge access).
For 2?? AmEx Platinum provides it free for the primary cardholder only.

Free BA Premium Plus Amex - instant saving of £120 fee. We would have this card regardless, just for the 2 for 1 voucher which we use once a year.
A worthwile benefit.

Overall, depends what your motive is: some of the benefits already outlined here. Don't get sold on anything travel-related apart from the insurance. The premium fare 'deals' are useless to anyone more FT-seasoned other than those who are prepared to pay near-enough full fare anyway.

The days of even the previously 'illusive' Centurion card being desirable are long gone - and quite an active discussion on both this and the Plat card over in the AmEx forum.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:46 pm

Was just about to renew our annual worldwide travel insurance so this looks a good option. Without me having to read all the rules and regulations can anyone tell me if it covers kids(over 16) if travelling without parent. Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:08 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
For 2?? AmEx Platinum provides it free for the primary cardholder only.
Not any more... your supplementary holder also gets a free Priority Pass. Changed when the price went up to £300.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:25 pm

Can you access the BMI lounge when you're travelling with another airline?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Was just about to renew our annual worldwide travel insurance so this looks a good option. Without me having to read all the rules and regulations can anyone tell me if it covers kids(over 16) if travelling without parent. Thanks
Yes it does ^
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Yes, up to age 25 and even for a gap year if necessary from memory - but this is just my memory...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: Platinum Amex, BAEC Blue, BA PP Amex, Club SLH, Avis Wizard
I hadn't realised that the Priority Pass got you access to any BMI lounges. Are they listed in the Priority Pass book?

I have just got a PLat Amex and we are staying in NewYork at The Pierre for a superb rate as well as free breakfast and lunch on one day. We will also be renting a car for some of the stay and I woudl say that the card has just about paid for itself this trip.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think it is the Plat Card rather than the Priority Pass that gets you into BD/VS etc.

I think that £300 is well worth it for good quality travel insurance, worldwide rental car insurance, Priority Pass for 2 people reduced BA PP Amex cost etc. Plat is far better valuie now at £300 than it was at the original £275 when I first took up the card.

The flight delay and lost baggage insurance is far better with the BA PP card and the only requirement is to use an Amex Card (not necessarily that one to benefit). I once got £1000 to spend in Gucci, RL etc. in Vegas when BA mislaid my baggage for a few days.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by PointsMeanPrizes
I hadn't realised that the Priority Pass got you access to any BMI lounges. Are they listed in the Priority Pass book?

I have just got a PLat Amex and we are staying in NewYork at The Pierre for a superb rate as well as free breakfast and lunch on one day. We will also be renting a car for some of the stay and I woudl say that the card has just about paid for itself this trip.
To clarify - Priority Pass is for PP lounges only (about 500 of them now). You now get 2 full PPs instead of one (you used to have to pay circa £150 for the 2nd which was still an OK deal)

The (UK) Amex platinum will give you access to BMI lounges when flying BMI (not sure about BMI Baby or on 'Tiny' fares) - no guests.

As a platinum card holder you can get a 2nd platinum card for, (say), your partner which gets around the guest issue.

I think a platinum card also still gets you into Eurostar lounges.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Morland
Yes, up to age 25 and even for a gap year if necessary from memory - but this is just my memory...
Yes, definitely for a gap year. And if they are over 25 they (and their family) will still get insured if you give them (and trust them with) a supplementary card.

Essentially, you could get the worldwide travel insurance for an extended family of about 15-20 people if you are happy to give out supplementary cards.

The BMI lounge thing is specific to the Platinum cards, not a Prioirity Pass thing, only vaild with BMI ticket. I don't think the Plat card gets you into VS though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.