Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-AMS: Can any other carrier match BA's service on a 40 minute flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Every time I fly this route, I am amazed at the service on board. This is BA short-haul at their best!

Out and back yesterday, short flights, 35-40 minutes flying time. Yet, in that time, the crew manage to do hot towels, serve a drinks round, nice meal (salad with chicken or fish, choccies), tea/coffee. And it's all done with a smile. We had impeccable service, as usual, out and back, and both crews were extremely friendly and appeared to be genuinely enjoying the job.

Both flights were quite full - 7 or 8 rows in J going out, and at least 12 coming back.

And we still get newspapers at the gate at AMS - Mail, Telegraph (and it's Dutch namesake), Standard.

Can't think of any other airlines that does such a nice job of a 40 minute flight. Are there any?

Oh, and there's an I class bonanaza on LHR-AMS, so it only costs Ł160 plus taxes (which means Ł226 on ba.com or Ł200 on aa.com)
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The service on the VG flight from LCY is rather good, and has the advantage that you don't have to deal with the queues at T4! But you do have to cope with an F50...

But yes, I did this on BA last week, and was reminded how good it was. BD used to have staff of the same calibre back in the day, but the recent service changes have made this an irrelevance. The only other ridiculously short flights I've had with that level of service were some hops I did on 9W. Mmm, dosa...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's been a good few years since I took this, but SQ's F class on the SIN-KUL shuttle certainly used to be quite passable, as was the case on Braathens when they used to fly NCL-SVG - and that was in Economy (50 minute flight).

Ahhh - I remember it well. Aperitif, wine with a hot dinner and a cognac to finish it off. Doubles all round and all served in a single drinks run straight after take off. To be honest, you were a bit stuffed if there wasn't an empty tray table next to you to hold your stash of alcohol.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
as was the case on Braathens when they used to fly NCL-SVG
I assume Braathen has been fully SK-ed, and with SK surely ranking as one of the worst carriers in Europe (with a "don't give a sh*t" attitidue that would make even the old mangement of Soviet Aeroflot proud), this can't be such a great flight any more.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:44 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
I assume Braathen has been fully SK-ed, and with SK surely ranking as one of the worst carriers in Europe (with a "don't give a sh*t" attitidue that would make even the old mangement of Soviet Aeroflot proud), this can't be such a great flight any more.
Oh yes, BU has been turned into SKBU, currently focusing on flying to the Mediterranean and Canarian sun from pretty much every single dirt strip in Norway that you can land a 737 on. Complete with the famous SAS Punishment class service (i.e. no service at all. For free, that is.).

SVG-NCL is nowadays operated by WF, which is the same but in a tiny little Dash-8 turboprop.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I had a similar experience recently on BRU-LHR, and sadly reflected how poorly any US carrier would compare on a 40 minute flight.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Oh yes, BU has been turned into SKBU, currently focusing on flying to the Mediterranean and Canarian sun from pretty much every single dirt strip in Norway that you can land a 737 on. Complete with the famous SAS Punishment class service (i.e. no service at all. For free, that is.).
I wouldn't describe SK's J class any better. Same Y seats, with just the middle seat empty. Service varies between indifferent to completely rude. Parts of ARN airport are horrid. It really is like going back in time to how SU used to be.

Funny how Scandinavia has probably the best airline in Europe (AY) and one of the worst (SK).
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Jet Airways and Kingfisher on intra-India flights of comparable duration.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I had a similar experience recently on BRU-LHR, and sadly reflected how poorly any US carrier would compare on a 40 minute flight.

Ahh, but at least they have super huge seats for fatties though. And everyone sitting in them has been upgraded.

Somehow I prefer BA's CE, even with a small seat.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Ahh, but at least they have super huge seats for fatties though. And everyone sitting in them has been upgraded.

Somehow I prefer BA's CE, even with a small seat.
Fly QF domestic J and you get both the service and the seat (and it makes a profit (and no pension issues ).
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:12 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
And just before Christmas they handed out chocalates... above the actual service.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:15 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I used to do this flight from Gatwick regularly. i still think htat in club you should always have the choice of a hot meal.

40 minutes to AM and then 30 minutes from Landing to Gate (6 Km is the furthest runway I believe).

And the lounge is miles and miles from the BA gates.

That said, it is still the best service to AMS, by far.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:16 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Parts of ARN airport are horrid. It really is like going back in time to how SU used to be.
This I can't really agree with. I find ARN to be quite a pleasant airport that works very well - apart from some weird setups for Schengen immigration and the occasional security queue. True, the two oldest piers in T5 are showing their age, but generally it's no worse than many other major airports (LHR, anyone?). But I digress.

Funny how Scandinavia has probably the best airline in Europe (AY) and one of the worst (SK).
Err, as a Finn I have to correct this. Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, which consists of SE, NO and DK. Add Finland and Iceland, and you get the Nordic Countries.

But thanks for the praise anyway . I myself have been amazed by the same thing, how AY and SK are now at the extreme ends of the quality scale, not so long ago it used to be the other way around, with SK beating AY service and friendliness hands down.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
And just before Christmas they handed out chocalates... above the actual service.
At least that makes up for banishing the BA ticket desk to behind a pillar somewhere in Hall 3.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Err, as a Finn I have to correct this. Finland is not a part of Scandinavia, which consists of SE, NO and DK. Add Finland and Iceland, and you get the Nordic Countries.

But thanks for the praise anyway . I myself have been amazed by the same thing, how AY and SK are now at the extreme ends of the quality scale, not so long ago it used to be the other way around, with SK beating AY service and friendliness hands down.
I did of course mean the Nordic countries

But given AY's presence in ARN, it should be considered a major Scandinavian airline too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.