Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need 20,000 miles quickly - help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by SLF
I suspect once Tesco decide to, these 1000 point offers will be targeted (and enforced as such); in any sense it is something completely under Tesco's control. Buying £15k of tickets and refunding them involves multiple companies, real processes and real money. I guess it comes down to where you draw the line between black & white.
With all due respect (which in this case is not very much) surely it all comes down to where you draw the line between two shades of gray ?

Tesco offers involve multiple companies (Tesco and BA), real processes (what's a surreal process, anyway) and real money. Do you think that BA give Tesco the miles for free ?

EDIT: Dang, you guys type fast ! Or perhaps I'm just very slow. Anyway, I stand by the assertion that it's still 'shades of gray' rather than 'black & white'.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Jun 29, 2006 at 8:00 am Reason: 'cos I got distracted by work - bah !
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:55 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by aristoph
Ok, I understand your point now (no more ) but, to be fair, that's not what you said when you implied that the Tesco scam does not involved costs, real processes and real cash.
Ahhh. Sorry - I wasn't very clear....yes, you're right. Too many heavy posts today...
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:01 am
SLF

Originally Posted by StewieMac
With all due respect (which in this case is not very much)
I could take that personally, is that very helpful?

Tesco offers involve multiple companies (Tesco and BA), real processes (what's a surreal process, anyway) and real money. Do you think that BA give Tesco the miles for free ?
Hopefully my subsequent post has clarified what I meant to say?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:04 am

SLF,

The 'wadr' was tongue-in-cheek, but I still can't see how you can say that the two examples are black and white.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:08 am
SLF

SLF,

The 'wadr' was tongue-in-cheek, but I still can't see how you can say that the two examples are black and white.
OK, but they're grey-1 and grey-2, OK? (I wasn't saying that the two examples were black & white - what I was saying is where you draw the line between black & white, and ergo, which side of the line each thing falls according to your viewpoint)
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by SLF
OK, but they're grey-1 and grey-2, OK? (I wasn't saying that the two examples were black & white - what I was saying is where you draw the line between black & white, and ergo, which side of the line each thing falls according to your viewpoint)
You say potato
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by aristoph
indeed. Obviously "ripping off" Tesco doesn't count, does it?
My wife and I have a Tesco Clubcard each - just the one and I placed a grocery order that satisfied the criteria of the voucher and didn't return any goods, etc. So tesco got my money and I got some Tesco points - where's "ripping off" there? Unlike some posters I/we don't have multiple Clubcards and if I see codes posted here then I use them on our regular weekly shopping
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SLF
I guess it comes down to where you draw the line between black & white.
It's no surprise that so many companies have "fair use" policies for their products and offers. I think that most of us have a reasonable sense of when we are doing something which is within the letter of what the rules say, but which is nevertheless unfairly taking the advantage.

However, in the absence of a "fair use" policy, there will always some people who adhere to the view that if the letter of what the rules say allows them to do it, they are entitled to do it. In one sense, they are strictly speaking entitled to do it.

But it won't stop others taking the view that they are lacking some personal integrity, and are being entirely selfish and short-termist - not least in the fact that it is these "the rules allow me" people who tend to ruin it for everyone else in the longer term.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's no surprise that so many companies have "fair use" policies for their products and offers. I think that most of us have a reasonable sense of when we are doing something which is within the letter of what the rules say, but which is nevertheless unfairly taking the advantage.

However, in the absence of a "fair use" policy, there will always some people who adhere to the view that if the letter of what the rules say allows them to do it, they are entitled to do it. In one sense, they are strictly speaking entitled to do it.

But it won't stop others taking the view that they are lacking some personal integrity, and are being entirely selfish and short-termist - not least in the fact that it is these "the rules allow me" people who tend to ruin it for everyone else in the longer term.
Don't forget that "scammers" on here and other boards are a tiny minority. True, most of us get above average BA Miles but mine are by no means absolutely stonking by some accounts that I have read here and so far I have only used codes for things that I would use or buy anyway. If you take wine as an example I would think that Tesco does very well out of us as we all buy cases whereas normally we might only buy a few bottles. Don't forget that Tesco can use this throughput of wine to screw their suppliers more so it is a win-win.

I don't think Tesco will change much as the cost involved for them will outweigh the benefits. In any scheme there are always those that abuse it and if that is losing the company money they will close it off (Amex TCC anyone? ) but in Tesco's case I think this suits them all very nicely - their accountants have done their numbers.

Edit - the vast majority use the clubcard to get the £2.50 off vouchers. How much are they costing Tesco? £1.60 maximum.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Edit - the vast majority use the clubcard to get the £2.50 off vouchers. How much are they costing Tesco? £1.60 maximum.
That's an easy one. If they're using it to take £2.50 off their weekly shopping, it costs them £2.50, not a penny less.

The point is though (and once again I use these codes so I'm not criticising), those of us discussing these codes on the internet are not using them in store, and so the cost of 1000 points must be more like £20-30. On £50/75 of shopping that's unlikely to yield a gross profit; certainly not a operating gain. What's more, they're intended to "create" loyal, paying Tesco.com customers, hence why Tesco will risk a one-off loss, but that isn't happening for repeat users.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.