What to do with an MCO that is about to expire?

Old Jun 23, 06, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

What to do with an MCO that is about to expire?

New to BA Forum -- hello!

I have a $700 "MCO Exchange Coupon" from a flight I was supposed to take about 2 years ago. The coupon expires July 14, 2006.

What would you recommend I do with it?

I don't fly BA much, and I would love a way to maximize the AA/OneWorld points I'd get by using the voucher. (I heard that you can not get AA miles on trips between the US and the UK, and that you only get 25% of miles flown anyhow... is that correct...?)

I'm based in San Francisco.

Thoughts, suggestions very much appreciated!!
Old Jun 24, 06, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Welcome to the forum. Wow, you've left it late to spend that one!

Yes, the antitrust law rubbish means you can't earn or spend BA miles on AA flights between London and the USA and vice versa. The 25% miles earning applies to the cheapest economy fares only - the more expensive economy fares earn full mileage, as do all premium cabins (with bonuses).

Since your MCO is for BA only (I assume that is the restriction) and you want to collect AA miles, I suggest this:

Look at World Traveller Plus fares from Canada (e.g. YVR, YYZ) to the UK. This is BA's paid premium economy cabin (unlike UA's E+) and (as well as a much nicer cabin and seat) offers full miles plus a cabin bonus in AA's program. If you're flexible (i.e. build in a Saturday night stay) you can probably get a return WT+ flight to London for not too much more than the MCO (i.e. pay a small extra yourself). Have a long weekend or longer in the UK as a holiday

If you're purely after the most miles from it and want to fly a little, take a look at going to a 'close' European place as part of your journey (e.g. FRA, CDG, AMS) which you may be able to add on to your base journey to the UK on BA for not much more money, again crediting the miles to AA. If you do this as part of the combined WT+ ticket, the Euro legs book in to full fare economy so again get you 100% miles. Note however that this will either work nicely or send the price sky high on ba.com (by giving you a full fare, very expensive WT+ fare instead of the discounted one) which is why I suggest you try it, but don't be too surprised if it's not working.

(Then in addition to the above, factor in getting to Canada on AA as cheaply as you can).

Alternatively, you may like to phone BA and see if they'll extend the MCO to give you more time to look at options like this - worth a try?
Old Jun 24, 06, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you launder an MCO? Buy a refundable ticket, and then get it refunded. I assume you would get an MCO back, but with more life.
Old Jun 24, 06, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is rather late in the game. MrKS and I kept hoping that we could use the MCO towards a nice vacation, but our work schedules kept changing. So we still haven't taken a vacation and now the expiration date is drawing near.

Additional suggestions appreciated.

Here are some of the notes I can see on the ticket:

MCO EXCHANGE COUPON

To British Airways at any BA Location
Future Tvl BA Only (Incl Tax)

Valid BA 2 Years non ref non end

There are also some numbers in the sections called Original Issue, Issued in Exchange For, Iss Off Code, PNR Code.

I will look into the Canada options. I did not realize that BA has separate Economy sections and prices. I will look around the BA website for more information.

Are there any FT links that I should know about for the ins-and-outs of BA?

Thank you very much for your help!
Old Jun 24, 06, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Are there any FT links that I should know about for the ins-and-outs of BA?
The 'ULTIMATE' sticky on the front page is the best place to begin
Old Jun 24, 06, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Can you launder an MCO? Buy a refundable ticket, and then get it refunded. I assume you would get an MCO back, but with more life.
Unfortunately no. I was just told that I would lose the MCO part of the refundable fare.
Old Jun 25, 06, 9:44 am

KSinNYC,

You have a PM.
Old Jun 27, 06, 2:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Related question -- will I pay an "airport counter ticketing fee" when I go to SEA to ticket an itinerary using the BA MCO I have?

(I am -- brace yourselves -- not even a BAEC member, let alone a member w/ status -- not sure if that makes any difference)

Search this Thread