unbelievable handling at BRU checkinn

Old May 13, 2006, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
unbelievable handling at BRU checkinn

yesterday I booked for a friend of mine a 1 year ticket BRU-LON-BKK-LON-BRU with return after around 11 month.
He checked inn in BRU and the agent there refused to give him boardingpasses, because he told him as a German passportholder he only gets a 30day Visa so he only could stay 30 days. My friend called me from the agent and I could not explain my argues, that he travels after 30 days to Burma, after another 30 days to Penang and so he would get always new 30 days tourist entry Visa.
He just said he would do this job everyday and would know better than me and then hang up and refused any further call with me. He pressed my friend to pay 100 Euro to change the reservation to 30 days, and changed the booking !
Absolutly unbelievable !
see the following rules
    That means he only has to leave Thailand after 30 days, how I explained by land to Burma, and the next session by a LCC ticket from HKT-KUL. And he needs not to go back with BA !!!
    Old May 13, 2006, 3:47 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
    This is difficult. The problem is that airlines get a big fine if they let people through without the right documents. Though there is an intention by your friend to leave within 30 days , the only PROOF is in the ticket. And that ticket is NO proof. Without that proof the airline will get fined.
    Old May 13, 2006, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
    Have to admit, BA or bust has it pretty right here. Considering BA would end up being responsible for any fine, they did the right thing.
    Old May 13, 2006, 4:14 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
    I have run up against this problem quite regularly since I tend to nest tickets within a LHR-BKK-LHR intinerary (i.e. I purchase a series of BKK-LHR-BKK tickets within the original tickets validity). On the whole at LHR I have found that the check in staff will accept the "single" ticket to BKK on the basis of the original return leg. It is an extremely good idea to have a your onward ticket though because the airline are entitled to refuse travel to anyone apparently intending to overstay the 30 day tourist visa.

The Thai Government take a fairly dim view of the relatively common practice of "Visa Running" it is probably not a good idea to describe the OP's friends intentions in these terms. The sollution is either to have a flexible ticket (originally booked to return within the 30 days allowed, then changed after departure) or to actually purchase an LCC flight to depart within the 30 days allowed. N.B. The 30 days are not 30 days in total, I got caught out like this last year when I had an "overstay" by 1 day, even though I departed within 30 actual days of arrival. Essentially you must leave on the 29th day following arrival to comply.

The other alternative is to apply to a Thai consulate for a longer term tourist visa (90 days is fairly easy to obtain) or 6 month to 1 year business visa (also not too difficult from the right consulate).
    Old May 13, 2006, 4:33 am

This is hardly ever enforced, but BA has got it right. Thai immigration don't bother checking, but airlines would in the end be liable. This could be avoided by getting a cheap Air Asia return to Penang or similar, or getting a Thai visa but I don't think you can get tourist visas for more than 90 days at a time.
    Old May 13, 2006, 4:43 am
    Original Poster

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
    3. they arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.
    copied again the last part of the rule !
    and again the rule not says that one has to go out of the country on the same ticket ! You just have to leave Thailand after 30 days in any way.
    From Phuket we do this with so called VISA runs. They every day start in Patong by minibus to the boarder of Burma. ow. 4h. trip, so return same day aftenoon. costs around 1200 THB 20 GBP and one has the next 30 days entry. This one can do every month. Or like my friend, he has some reservations for LCC Air Asia out of Thailand after every 30 days. But it´s absolutely not BA´s concern that he leaves Thailand after 30 days on a BA document. They only have to proof the vality of his passport, and that he holds a valid return ticket ! ( which he had, and he could easyly rebook it if nessecary there, if he needs, because the rule allows changes at any time ! )
    Old May 13, 2006, 5:04 am
    Original Poster

Well just my friend called me again ( oh wonder out of the UK ).
    yesterday they had a 2h delay incomming from BRU, so he missed the flight to BKK. They rebooked him to TGs flight today at 12:30 ! Original was 22:00 yesterday , so about 14.5 h later.
    They paid hotel but nothing else. Any idea to which compensation he is entitled ?
    Old May 13, 2006, 5:05 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
    Originally Posted by bertheike
    3. they arrive in and depart Thailand by any means of transport (air, land or sea) through immigration checkpoints, any confirmed tickets to leave Thailand within 30 days from the arrival date at the port of entry in Thailand must be obtained.
    copied again the last part of the rule !
    and again the rule not says that one has to go out of the country on the same ticket ! You just have to leave Thailand after 30 days in any way.
    From Phuket we do this with so called VISA runs. They every day start in Patong by minibus to the boarder of Burma. ow. 4h. trip, so return same day aftenoon. costs around 1200 THB 20 GBP and one has the next 30 days entry. This one can do every month. Or like my friend, he has some reservations for LCC Air Asia out of Thailand after every 30 days. But it´s absolutely not BA´s concern that he leaves Thailand after 30 days on a BA document. They only have to proof the vality of his passport, and that he holds a valid return ticket ! ( which he had, and he could easyly rebook it if nessecary there, if he needs, because the rule allows changes at any time ! )
    That isn't really the point is it? The issue is whether BA can be sure that someone is actually going to leave the Kingdom within the 30 days allowed (otherwise they theoretically get penalised). There is no need for an onward ticket with BA, but an onward ticket with another carrier or some evidence of plans to leave Thailand is not unreasonable (be it plane ticket, train ticket, boat ticket, hotel reservation after walking to the border etc..). If someone cannot even be bothered to provide failry limited "evidence" (even if reservations can be cancelled etc.) then they deserve no sympathy.

Venturing slightly OT, personally I think Visa Runners give more genuine expats a bad rap in Thailand and thus I am not overly distressed that BA are adopting this approach, I only wish all airlines would follow suit.
    Old May 13, 2006, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
    But it´s absolutely not BA´s concern that he leaves Thailand after 30 days on a BA document. They only have to proof the vality of his passport, and that he holds a valid return ticket ! ( which he had, and he could easyly rebook it if nessecary there, if he needs, because the rule allows changes at any time ! )
    It IS BA's concern. If immigration at BKK turn him back then BA must pay for him to return to BRU. Many countries (not only Thailand) are getting much stricter about immigration rules these days, and BA have taken the decision not to expose themselves to liability.
    Old May 13, 2006, 5:58 am

Proof of onward travel is a common requirement throughout the world. BA didn't do anything wrong although they may have handled the problem with more compassion.
    Old May 13, 2006, 7:34 am

1. BA has no choice but to follow the rules to the letter because of the potential liability issues (fine from Thailand immigration, cost of bringing your friend back) should your friend be rejected by Thailand immigration - regardless of how unlikely the scenario is.

If he had any proof of transport out of Thailand (bus, train ticket etc) then I'm sure they would have been quite happy to allow him onto the flight, but without such document that can be shown at check-in, BA can't claim they have done the necessary checks should things go wrong at BKK.

You can't just say "he's going to buy the ticket at BKK" because, although it makes sense from your friend's viewpoint, from BA's viewpoint they are putting themselves at unnecessary risk, if they haven't seen the outbound travel document themselves in person.

2. It would have been much cheaper to buy a normal fare BKK-Somewhere Else (just buy it from any airline's ticketing counter) and then refund it later... at least you don't lose any money that way (compared to 100EUR x 2 change charges)
    Old May 13, 2006, 8:50 am
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
    1. BA has no choice but to follow the rules to the letter because of the potential liability issues (fine from Thailand immigration, cost of bringing your friend back) should your friend be rejected by Thailand immigration - regardless of how unlikely the scenario is.

If he had any proof of transport out of Thailand (bus, train ticket etc) then I'm sure they would have been quite happy to allow him onto the flight, but without such document that can be shown at check-in, BA can't claim they have done the necessary checks should things go wrong at BKK.

You can't just say "he's going to buy the ticket at BKK" because, although it makes sense from your friend's viewpoint, from BA's viewpoint they are putting themselves at unnecessary risk, if they haven't seen the outbound travel document themselves in person.

2. It would have been much cheaper to buy a normal fare BKK-Somewhere Else (just buy it from any airline's ticketing counter) and then refund it later... at least you don't lose any money that way (compared to 100EUR x 2 change charges)
    How often should I say, he has a booking with Air Asia LCC, but through their website and and only the confirmationno. !
    I tryed to explain that, but this guy in BRU did not want to hear it. And even my offer I could open the file in the internet and fax/mail it to him was not possible, because he refused to speak with me.
    Also I know that the airline has to proof that customers have a valid return ticket;but that was not the question ! He had a valid returnticket valid 1 year and if he is/would be in need to go back earlier for any reason he could easyly rebook it later, because this fare allows changes at any time !
    Old May 13, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
    I tryed to explain that, but this guy in BRU did not want to hear it. And even my offer I could open the file in the internet and fax/mail it to him was not possible, because he refused to speak with me.
    Are you the passenger, or is your friend?

Remember there are data protection acts and as you are not he passenger BA cannot deal with you. Your friend really should have provided all this information.

Could I suggest that you give your friend the information you have printed to BA instead? That may have the desired effect in future.

Remember, the reasons BA will not deal with you are the same reasons your bank won't deal with someone else regarding your account.
    Old May 13, 2006, 9:00 am
    Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
    Venturing slightly OT, personally I think Visa Runners give more genuine expats a bad rap in Thailand and thus I am not overly distressed that BA are adopting this approach, I only wish all airlines would follow suit.
    What is your problem with "Visa Runners" ?
    It is absolute legal ! One leave the country and after 5 minutes one enters again and gets the same entry as you arrive from anywhere else in the world.
    That´s the rules, and if Thailand wouldn´t like that, they could easyly change them and say one is only entitled for 1 or 2 free entrys like this every year. But they don´t, and so it is nothing against it.
    I know people they live since 17 years in Thailand with doing this runns every 1/3/6 month ( depending how long they get entry now ).
    Old May 13, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: DL NW
    This advice might come a bit late of course, but there is an easy work around to this problem. Buy a one way fully refundable ticket to leave the US and upon arrival get the ticket refunded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.