Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped out of FIRST - help needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
Bumped out of FIRST - help needed

Yesterday my wife and I flew SFO-LHR, we were both booked into FIRST, a trip booked with my Amex 241 on airmiles. On arriving at the airport we were asked if we would be willing to move to the next flight in 2 hours for £1k (in FIRST), so we agreed.

When the next flight started boarding we were told that they had made a mistake and oversold FIRST and we would either need to fly the following day or move to Club World (with additional £1K compensation)

As we both needed to be back at work we had no option but to fly CW. The Customer Services told us to write to BA to get further compensation.

I am grateful for any advice...any idea what I should expect?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by NickPowell77
The Customer Services told us to write to BA to get further compensation.

I am grateful for any advice...any idea what I should expect?
Did they give you £1,000 each or £500 each for taking a later flight and then doubled this for an invol to CW?

Either way £2,000 or £4,000 compensation for an two hour delay and an invol to CW when travelling on a 2-4-1 seems like a great deal to me.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by Gaza
Did they give you £1,000 each or £500 each for taking a later flight and then doubled this for an invol to CW?

Either way £2,000 or £4,000 compensation for an two hour delay and an invol to CW when travelling on a 2-4-1 seems like a great deal to me.
It was £500 each making a total of £2k
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by NickPowell77
It was £500 each making a total of £2k
The infamous "Palm Tree" thread debated a similar point. If you were travelling on a paid FIRST ticket and were downgraded to CW then the situation would be clear. You would be entitled to the difference in fare between FIRST and CW plus the appropriate downgrade compensation. The situation with Miles is somewhat different.

I would imagine that BAould deem £1,000 each as sufficient compo for the two hour delay and invol. The best that you could hope for may be a refund of the Miles difference between FIRST and CW.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would walk away very happy with the 2K...but then I am lucky enough to have flown F enough times to not be too upset at missing out. If it is a rare treat for you, then I can see that the cash may not help totally. As Gaza suggests, you could ask for a oneway miles refund...but don't push to hard.

And think, the 2K you have plus 50K miles would get you 2 MFU'ed CW tickets back to the US. @:-)
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
I would complain more about the misleading you saying that you had F in 2hrs only to find out that you where in J and that having known this you never would of accepted the change
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
but yeah 2k I would e happy free trip more or less bar the mile!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I couldn't have taken the initial offer of them quick enough! £1000 for 2hrs of free drinking ^

As Swanhunter has said if it is a rare treat then push a little harder. The 50k miles + £2k should get you another CW trip for two ^

Either way I'm surprised they bumped a BA Gold. Would have thought there would be someone lower down the food chain to move...
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Only very few people make £1000 for 2hrs that easily. I agree though that they should give you the mileage difference back as well, since they screwed up on their promise of F on the later flight.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Only very few people make £1000 for 2hrs that easily.
Or so pleasantly
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
Either way I'm surprised they bumped a BA Gold. Would have thought there would be someone lower down the food chain to move...
Good point Fraser. Travelling to BOM last month, one of team was downgraded from F at check in (we were both there thanks to the fly one way upgrade promo). Profuse apologies, a visit from the duty manager and the promise of 'appropriate' compensation. She was Blue, whereas everyone else in the cabin was carrying metallic cards. Nonetheless, at T-30 she was called back to the desk and given 4E. ^ She was gutted...had already mentally spent the compensation.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:28 pm

I would say the money is more then adequate compensation for the trouble. But a letter to BA would not go astray if you are looking for more compensation - they will prob give you some free miles. If it were a paid for ticket I would be writing something quite the opposite, but when it's miles it a grey area.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:33 pm

I think you are right to be mildly annoyed at being asked to take a later flight and then bumped, but that the compensation provided is appropriate (even generous) in the circumstances .

For those who are interested, the Palm Tree thread is here .
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ba bob
If it were a paid for ticket I would be writing something quite the opposite, but when it's miles it a grey area.
Out of interest why? We all harp on here about how if you in the cabin based on cash ticket, miles ticket, MFU we should be treated the same. 'We paid for the ticket with some form' etc.

Didn't someone once get £10k, yes £10k in form of an MCO when they got bumped on a miles ticket out of LHR?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
In a recent trip I was on an WTP award flight. The seat was badly broken. Given the only difference in service between WT and WTP is the seat, effectively I travelled less confortably than in WT. Note that spare J, F seats were available in the flight (for me or someone else). Pursued a service recovery request, and all I was given was 30 pounds of inflight vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.