No hot towel

Old Apr 17, 06, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

No hot towel

Just spent the weekend in London and am now back in Jersey. Flew CE for the first time in a few months for the long weekend.

Was not overly impressed with the service I have to admit.

Way out I was on the morning red-eye (and I did have red eyes are a result of a long drinking session the night before and very little sleep).

Was only in the lounge for 5 minutes when we were called to board. Lounge people were the first to board, so we had to wait for everyone else to board (normally lounge people in JER are the last to board). On the plane, once everyone on board cabin staff chatting amongst themselves.

Normally they would offer to take your coat and offer you a hot towel. Neither of these were done. It wasn't even as if CE was busy (there were only about 4 pax).

Food was given with a drink (hot breakfast, was actually not bad). That was the last I saw off the cabin staff until they picked up my plate.

On the way back, again same situation, no hot towel or taking your coat. Again only a few pax in CE. Again served food and drinks and that was it.

On previous occasions the service has been better (sorry to bang on about this, but coats were taken and hot towels were given).

However I have to say was a record going through security at LGW, less than five minutes.
Old Apr 18, 06, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by theworld
Food was given with a drink (hot breakfast, was actually not bad). That was the last I saw off the cabin staff until they picked up my plate.
What you mean 20 minutes later before you landed? Sorry I couldn't resist it...
Old Apr 18, 06, 3:40 am

what do u want on a 30 min flight the crew also have the 90 odd people at the back to serve
Old Apr 18, 06, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by lgw29
what do u want on a 30 min flight the crew also have the 90 odd people at the back to serve
There are people back there behind that curtain thing? Decidedly odd people indeed*

Phil
* he says as he's about to book ET himself later today, of course
Old Apr 18, 06, 4:50 am
Original Poster

OK, I came over as sounding like a bit of a snob.

On previous occasions in CE to and from Jersey cabin crew would come by a few times to check everything was fine and offering top up on the drinks.

Also there is technically supposed to be one person looking after CE passengers (or so they say on the announcement) and two people at the back, along with another person who I don't know doing what (i.e. a cabin crew of 4).

Am I still sounding like a snob?
Old Apr 18, 06, 5:40 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by theworld
Am I still sounding like a snob?
No, you're a regular customer who knows what to expect, given the price of your ticket, regardless of the length of flight.

The product and customer service is the reason people choose BA.

Originally Posted by lgw29
Besides, they were only going to fire sh!tty egg mayonnaise at them odd people down back.
Old Apr 18, 06, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
In a previous post, I commented that L/H CW to LAX and JNB did not feature hot towels (except after I had asked, some did appear on one occasion) yet on S/H CE, VIE anyway, there they were - twice.

They do appear to be optional .
Old Apr 18, 06, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
In a previous post, I commented that L/H CW to LAX and JNB did not feature hot towels (except after I had asked, some did appear on one occasion) yet on S/H CE, VIE anyway, there they were - twice.

They do appear to be optional .
Why is it that the towels are sometimes barely damp at one end, yet at other times are so wet that water runs up your sleeve.

And why is it that they are sometimes lukewarm, yet at other times, so hot that they take a layer of skin off.

This inconsistency is totally monstrous.
Old Apr 18, 06, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Why is it that the towels are sometimes barely damp at one end, yet at other times are so wet that water runs up your sleeve.

And why is it that they are sometimes lukewarm, yet at other times, so hot that they take a layer of skin off.

it all depends what the passengers are like when they get on board if they are horriblle i use two big cups of hot water to burn them
only joking
some days we only have about 15 mins to serve everyone on the jer flight and it is a struggle to get it done
Old Apr 18, 06, 11:55 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!

Yup. That inconsistency is quite irritating indeed. Almost makes me prefer (the quite sturdy!) pre-packed moist towlettes that LH uses on Intra-Europe.
Old Apr 18, 06, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's monstrous but it's annoying !

I was thinking just this on a flight today as I was given a luke warm towel, and remembered a trip a few weeks ago where it was so hot I could barely hold it.

Having seen (from 1C) how they do this, it looks like they heat some water and then pour this over the towels which would mean it'll never be "exactly" the same each time, although you'd think BA would have an "optimum temperature" at which to heat the water.

On some flights, as others say, you never see them, which IMO is even worse.
Old Apr 18, 06, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by latitude
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's monstrous but it's annoying !

I was thinking just this on a flight today as I was given a luke warm towel, and remembered a trip a few weeks ago where it was so hot I could barely hold it.

Having seen (from 1C) how they do this, it looks like they heat some water and then pour this over the towels which would mean it'll never be "exactly" the same each time, although you'd think BA would have an "optimum temperature" at which to heat the water.

On some flights, as others say, you never see them, which IMO is even worse.
So why do BA's hot towels smell like musty old rags from my Gran's underwear drawer, whereas other airlines towels have a refreshing scented aroma to them?
Old Apr 19, 06, 5:12 am

So why do BA's hot towels smell like musty old rags from my Gran's underwear drawer, whereas other airlines towels have a refreshing scented aroma to them?
They are 'scented' hot towels, i've never been able to work out exactly what the scent is.

And its rather difficult to get the temparature right on those things as the waster just comes out of the coffee brewers so we have to hope that they are roughly the right temperature, mine always tend to be somewhere on the borderline of sodden and very very hot!
Old Apr 19, 06, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card

You're such a b1tch..... .

The hot towels thing, is indeed, something that a number of crew forget to do. The towles are meant to be distributed immediately after takeoff; perhaps before we've done anything else (on longhaul atleast). Most of the time though, the crew will rise from their seats after departure and begin immediately getting the galley ready for the service, often completely forgetting about the towels.

I've had people ask for them in the past which, of course, flags up the mistake. In this instance, I'd immediately suspend my service for a moment and ask one of the guys in the galley to do them - at which point, we'd all realise our mistake and usually a little giggle ensues ("how could we all have forgotten?!?!").

As for temperature, that's a tricky one. It really depends on how long the Brewers have been on. If someone does the towels from a brewer that's only been on for 5 minutes, the water will be decidedly lukewarm. If the brewer is the one used for Crew Coffee on the ground and has been on since we boarded, the water will have an acid-like effect to those with sensitive skin.

It's hard getting a perfect balance that's comfortable for everyone, but general rule of thumb seems to be to have a LITTLE steam coming from them, but not an "inferno" of steam as I had last week before adding a dribble of cold.

Another thing I like to do, just to give you guys a treat, is put some lemon in with the water when it's poured over the towels. Makes them very, very refreshing!
Old Apr 19, 06, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
You're such a b1tch..... .

The hot towels thing, is indeed, something that a number of crew forget to do. The towles are meant to be distributed immediately after takeoff; perhaps before we've done anything else (on longhaul atleast). Most of the time though, the crew will rise from their seats after departure and begin immediately getting the galley ready for the service, often completely forgetting about the towels.

I've had people ask for them in the past which, of course, flags up the mistake. In this instance, I'd immediately suspend my service for a moment and ask one of the guys in the galley to do them - at which point, we'd all realise our mistake and usually a little giggle ensues ("how could we all have forgotten?!?!").

As for temperature, that's a tricky one. It really depends on how long the Brewers have been on. If someone does the towels from a brewer that's only been on for 5 minutes, the water will be decidedly lukewarm. If the brewer is the one used for Crew Coffee on the ground and has been on since we boarded, the water will have an acid-like effect to those with sensitive skin.

It's hard getting a perfect balance that's comfortable for everyone, but general rule of thumb seems to be to have a LITTLE steam coming from them, but not an "inferno" of steam as I had last week before adding a dribble of cold.

Another thing I like to do, just to give you guys a treat, is put some lemon in with the water when it's poured over the towels. Makes them very, very refreshing!

How can you possibly trust an airline that can't get the temperature of its wet towels right?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: