Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No hot towel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
How can you possibly trust an airline that can't get the temperature of its wet towels right?
Never bite the hand that prepares your hot towels, Miss. Smirnoff. ^
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:45 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
When are BA going to introduce a low calorie and less chewy version of the pre-dining experience? I refuse to eat the damn thing unless I have been told that there is salmon on the menu in CE. I see many other passengers do likewise. Obviously the crew cannot stand them either as I always see the crew handling them with tongs and never sitting around eating them on longer flights.

On a recent poll of 3 passengers in Club Europe, not one passenger ate the whole towelette. I do prefer the ones with lemon.

Ah, the man with the white coat is coming again. Please excuse me for a short while. Ah, and the BA pyjamas that lace up at the back...
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Tits,

Thanks for confirming that hot towels should have been handed out. I was not sure if I should have asked, because I was worried I would have been looked at in a funny fashion by the cabin crew.

I'll be doing a few more CE jaunts back to London in the next couple of months (to build up to my Gold), so will report back on the hot towel situation.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
I'm speaking from a Worldwide point of view. I've never been on Eurofleet so have absolutely no idea how their service runs, but perhaps one of my colleagues here could enlighten us (I'm sure atleast one of them has done shorthaul before).
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
I'm speaking from a Worldwide point of view. I've never been on Eurofleet so have absolutely no idea how their service runs, but perhaps one of my colleagues here could enlighten us (I'm sure atleast one of them has done shorthaul before).
Its a difficult one on a Jersey, if there is a very high club load there just wont be time either on the ground or during the flight (average time we can atctually complete the service in is 20 mins - last JER I did had 45 passengers in club....) However with a low load a lot will do it on the ground. We do try our best to do them but if something has to go to fit everything else in towels are the most likely to be taken out of the service.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer83
Its a difficult one on a Jersey, if there is a very high club load there just wont be time either on the ground or during the flight (average time we can atctually complete the service in is 20 mins - last JER I did had 45 passengers in club....) However with a low load a lot will do it on the ground. We do try our best to do them but if something has to go to fit everything else in towels are the most likely to be taken out of the service.
Thanks for that. However on Friday CE was about 4 to 6 pax and on Monday there were only three of us. Also Econ wasn't exactly that full (about half full both ways).
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:39 am

Location: Bucks, UK. BA Gold, VS Gold, SPG Platinum etc., etc.
I actually feel slightly self concious complaining about this, but yesterday I flew F from LHR-SFO and didn't get a hot towel at any time during the flight. I will admit that I was slightly distracted, and didn't realise the oversight until it was too late (coming in to land), but it seems an extraordinary ommission, particularly in F, never mind J (where I have occassionally found it also hit and miss whether it happens).

Am I being precious complaining about this? It does help to remove a little of the Eau de Boeing before continuing with your day.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleepyandgrumpy
Am I being precious complaining about this? It does help to remove a little of the Eau de Boeing before continuing with your day.
Hot kettle water is about the worse thing for your skin. Unless you are going in for a face transplant, and want to give the surgeons a helping hand to get the old one off.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: BA
Hot kettle water is about the worse thing for your skin.
Are you sure you're not Mrs Smirnoff? Do you prefer Chanel No 5 or perhaps something fancier for your precious skin?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:09 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Are you sure you're not Mrs Smirnoff? Do you prefer Chanel No 5 or perhaps something fancier for your precious skin?
Nah, he/she just uses that lemon dressing from CE/CW to lather up with.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:16 am

And why is it that they are sometimes lukewarm, yet at other times, so hot that they take a layer of skin off.

This inconsistency is totally monstrous.
No, the hot towels that I have experienced tend to have been consistently of the "take a layer of skin off" variety (normally receiving one sparks a lot of "oh, oh, ah, oh" and tossing the towel up in the air to try and cool it down...)

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Another thing I like to do, just to give you guys a treat, is put some lemon in with the water when it's poured over the towels. Makes them very, very refreshing!
You are so great... why can't I have you as crew on my flights? Not that your colleagues aren't great too, just you seen to go the extra mile

Boo
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Nah, he/she just uses that lemon dressing from CE/CW to lather up with.

I'm still trying to convince these guys to come out with a lemon dressing range.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:17 am

You're supposed to give out hot towels first thing after you begin cabin service and then again at the top of descent. They usually are prescented with lemony old women's clean undies smell and as already mentioned all you do is pour about 2 cups of water from the beverage maker onto them, press them down (with the cup) to squeeze the water through and then flip up the triangular bits (again with the cup) so they are easier to pick up from the tray.

As there is very little science involved in their creation, and if you're on a quick flight it's hard to get things done in time, so regulating the temperature of each individual towel isn't really possible.

Hot towel?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

What is it about the service in First in and out of SFO that attracts so much dissatisfaction here?

Back on topic, thing I appreciate the most about the hot towel run is the opportunity it gives to wipe the newsprint from my finger tips. Best to do this after dabbing face
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GBBoi
You're supposed to give out hot towels first thing after you begin cabin service and then again at the top of descent. They usually are prescented with lemony old women's clean undies smell and as already mentioned all you do is pour about 2 cups of water from the beverage maker onto them, press them down (with the cup) to squeeze the water through and then flip up the triangular bits (again with the cup) so they are easier to pick up from the tray.

As there is very little science involved in their creation, and if you're on a quick flight it's hard to get things done in time, so regulating the temperature of each individual towel isn't really possible.

Hot towel?
Gawd - how many of you have been sniffing around Grandma's wardrobe??

Now leaving the fascination of such matters - I would advise the OP that there are now 3 crew members to provide service on a very short sector. I very much doubt that anyone was sitting around doing nothing.

Hot towels should be hot - but if the brewers have not been on long they won't be. I have to say if anything gets forgotten - that usually does. It shouldn't but it does.

Smirnoff my Love - I would love to do your next face mask. Please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.