FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Salzburg Christmas Market Do (to launch new LGW-SZG service) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/541750-salzburg-christmas-market-do-launch-new-lgw-szg-service.html)

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 3:57 am

Salzburg Christmas Market Do (to launch new LGW-SZG service)

Well now, with Easter almost upon us, it is only natural that our thoughts should be turning to … Christmas. Yes, Christmas :o Bear with me – after all, it’s never too early to start planning a Do, now is it?

As most of us are aware, BA is launching an LGW-SZG service on 1 December 2006. In a throwaway remark in this thread, I suggested the possibility of a Christmas Market Do in Salzburg as a means of celebrating the launch of a service that many on this board will welcome. Since then I’ve sounded a few people out and, I’m delighted to say, it’s all systems go!

The Deal

For most people (or so it seems at this stage), the flights will be :-

Sat 02-Dec BA2652 LGW 0855 SZG 1200 NB Further schedule change!
Sun 03-Dec BA2653 SZG 1235 LGW 1345

However, for those who are interested, we also have the possibility of being aboard the inaugural flight on Friday :cool: :-

Fri 01-Dec BA2652 LGW 0830 SZG 1135
Sun 03-Dec BA2653 SZG 1235 LGW 1345

The I-class return was excellent value at £191, or approximately £177 with shareholder discount. As of 26 July, though, it's an absolute steal at £168 in a new Club Europe sale. ^ Best available Economy fare on the same date is £90 return. I'm not sure if shareholder discount is allowed in conjunction with sale fares.

Please bear in mind that this is likely to be another Vilnius–style drip-feed job as far as I-class availability is concerned. Don’t be discouraged if you try to book and I-class has run out. It just means you have to keep looking until more seats are fed through. All part of the fun of the chase :)

There are currently NO seat assignments on offer :(

The Destination

Salzburg is, without doubt, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe – if you need convincing, try looking here, or try my own offerings here. Although I’ve never sampled the city in the immediate run-up to the festive season, it is well-known for its Christmas Market, which will be in full swing on these dates. If you’ve never been to a German-style Christmas Market before, think open-air stalls selling mostly hand-made goods (i.e. not too much tat), plus heaps of Bratwurst and lashings of Glühwein :)

Albeit leaving it a bit late, we will also be in Mozart’s birthplace in the year of his 250th birthday. (It was in January.) Oh … and there’s always the Sound of Music connection too! High on a hill was a lonely goatherd … no, let’s not go there :D

Hotels

The most obvious hotels, at least from a points perspective ;), are :-

Goldener Hirsch (SPG, traditional hotel in heart of old town) : from EUR198
Sheraton (SPG, modern hotel beside Mirabell Gardens) : from EUR135
Crowne Plaza (ICHG, down the street from Sheraton) : from EUR116

While there can be little doubt that the Goldener Hirsch is the place in town, my suggestion is that Do-ers should take their pick from the Sheraton and the CP. They are only yards apart and are situated adjacent to the Mirabell Palace and Gardens, approximately a 15-minute walk from the old town. The Sheraton, in particular, has an excellent reputation.

The more independent-minded may even want to consider an out-of-town option, such as the IC Berchtesgaden or the Schloss Fuschl (SPG).

It may also be worth noting that at least two of us plan on spending the Friday night at the Holiday Inn Gatwick, currently available for £51 + VAT. Could be an excuse for a pre-Do evening celebration :)

CONFIRMED

AJLondon (Flying OS :eek:, Fri-Sun, Goldener Hirsch/Sheraton)
alex0683de (train, Sat-Sun, Sheraton)
Andrius (Sat-Sun, Goldener Hirsch)
ba bob (Silver, Sat-Sun)
BahrainLad (Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza)
Dave_C (+3) (party includes 3 x Silver, Fri-Sun)
DocH (+1) (Gold/Silver, Fri-Mon, Crowne Plaza)
G-BOAC (Gold, Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza)
Heathrow 777 (Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
House (Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza)
jhm (+1) (Silver/Blue, Fri-Sun, Goldener Hirsch)
JimmyTheJock (+SWMBO) (Fri-Wed, Crowne Plaza 2 and IC Berchtesgaden 3.)
Moomba (Gold, Sat-Sun, Sheraton)
More Champagne Sir? (Sat-Sun, Goldener Hirsch. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
Peter747 (Silver, Sat-Sun, Sheraton. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
PhilH (Gold, Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
Prospero (Gold, Sat-Sun, Blaue Gans (very near Goldener Hirsch))
Pyeinthesky (Gold, Sat-Sun, Sheraton. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
Scotland (Silver, Sat-Sun, Goldener Hirsch)
sentom (lives opposite Goldener Hirsch!)
Sparkster (+1) (Gold, Sat-Sun, Goldener Hirsch)
Steady-EDI (Gold, Sat-Sun, Crowne Plaza. At HI-LGW on Fri.)
Teece (+1) (Silver/Blue, Fri-Sun)

POSSIBLE

BA97
Brian_1
Jenbel (+ Sheep?)
nonsoloinglese
QFBoy (would be travelling from within Austria)

So ... (yes, that's right - a needle pulling thread :rolleyes: :D ) ... why not join me (a name I call myself - oh heck :o ) and the rest of our merry band? As someone once said : go on, you know you want to :)

----------------------------------------------
SATURDAY CONCERT
Thanks to a suggestion by Prospero, some of us are attending a concert in the Festung at 17:00 on Saturday evening, before rejoining the main group for dinner. Although the programme is likely to include the music of a number of composers, Mozart will undoubtedly be the main feature in this, his home city and year of the 250th anniversary of his birth. See posts 228+ for further details.

Known culture vultures :-

AJLondon
ba bob
DocH +1
G-BOAC
House
jhm +1
Moomba
Peter747
Prospero
Steady-EDI

If you want to join us, you can book independently using the link in Post 228. If you choose the €31 tickets, these are open seating.
----------------------------------------------

BahrainLad Mar 28, 2006 4:26 am

Hmmm....very interested. Put me down as a possible.

PhilH Mar 28, 2006 4:27 am

I will say yes without a shadow of a doubt whatsoever! :) ^

Jawohl, even! :D

nixande Mar 28, 2006 4:52 am

If you have enough, why not try to book a group rate at the hotel? :)

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 9:20 am

BahrainLad, hope you can make it. I'll add you to the list.

PhilH, herzlich Wilkommen! ;) ^

nixande - interesting idea. At the risk of being a lazy organiser, I am tempted to let people make their own choice, especially as it's not going to be easy to come up with a final number of attendees. However, if people feel that this is worth pursuing (with the Sheraton, say), maybe somebody with higher SPG status would be better making contact?

More Champagne Sir? Mar 28, 2006 9:41 am

I'm confirmed :)

Sat-Sun, a mere blue though :td:

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 9:48 am

Welcome aboard, More Champagne Sir? Let's hope your handle proves to be prophetic :D You may be blue now, but it's a long time until December ;)

Availability for Sat-Sun is now I1/I3, which means room for one more before we await the next release of seats. Any takers?

PhilH Mar 28, 2006 9:49 am

I've booked up flights now, Sat-Sun visit for me. Will probably go with the CP unless there's a good deal at the Sheraton as I'm now SPG Gimp level, but Platinum on PC. :)

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 9:55 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
I'm now SPG Gimp level, but Platinum on PC. :)

I know the feeling! I may also go with the CP. Having experienced the Presidential Suite at the Sheraton, I can't help feeling that anything else is going to seem like a disappointment :rolleyes:

More Champagne Sir? Mar 28, 2006 10:32 am

In case anybody's also thinking of staying at LGW on the Friday night (1st Dec), I've just booked a room at the Holiday Inn Gatwick Airport. Rooms available from £51+VAT.

Heathrow 777 Mar 28, 2006 1:18 pm

I have just booked the flights - out Sat back Sun :) ^

Looks like I have nabbed the last I class seat on Sat ;)

Like PhilH I am a nobody with SPG but a Platinum with Priority Club so will probably go with the CP.

Hopefully one of you lovely Gold people will get me into the First Class Lounge (I could add an On Business Number to my booking ;) :D )

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Welcome, Heathrow 777!

Right, now it's up to our resident Availability Spotters to let us know when more seats are released ...

Edited to add : Still places available out Fri returning Sun if anyone else fancies the inaugural flight @:-)

Dave_C Mar 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Has anyone been able to assign seats yet? BA.com is moaning that the pre-assign limits have already been met.

Steady-EDI Mar 28, 2006 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Has anyone been able to assign seats yet? BA.com is moaning that the pre-assign limits have already been met.

The only other time I have ever experienced this is with my upcoming June weekend, with GB Airways, in ... INN!!! Is this some kind of bizarre Austrian thing? :confused: :confused:

DocH Mar 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Great idea. ^

Confirmed seats for myself + Mrs DocH (silver) , Fri - Mon.

Will they lay on anything special for the inaugural flight?