Anyone fainted on a flight before?

Old Mar 26, 06, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone fainted on a flight before?

Had a wierd episode today, was happily asleep flying from DFW-LGW when I woke up, felt nautious, started heading to the toilet, when I fainted?

Now aparantly this is pretty common...not sure if this was to re-assure me or not.

I will admit to having not eaten much that morning, and to having some wine (2 little bottles...)

So has this ever happened to anyone else, or should I be waiting at the doctors office this morning???
Old Mar 26, 06, 10:24 pm
BCH

Ha! Exactly the same thing happened to me in March 1999 on JFK-LHR flight. When I returned to being conscious, I panicked at first because I couldn't remember why I was on a London flight (I was re-routed from a nonstop TWA flight to Madrid) or who I was with (two buddies). But then the really HOT flight attendant - with whom I had been trying to flirt before - tried to help me, and it all came back to me. The rest, as they say, is history.

(Ah, the days of my youth!)
Old Mar 26, 06, 10:44 pm

Not personally, but was on a flight years ago, when the guy next to me felt faint.

The crew were really good and gave him some oxygen (I held the cannister) until we landed, and they took him off to hospital, after meeting him at the gate with a wheelchair.
Old Mar 26, 06, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Not personally, but on a (delayed) MAD-LHR last year I was in the front cabin of the 757 (but behind the curtain!). There was a loud thud from behind the galley and then the crew rushing around with oxygen, Deli Boxes, etc. for a few minutes. I was close so could overhear once the chap came around and he said he'd not eaten all day and thought it was just low blood sugar. No major drama (thankfully!).

Phil
Old Mar 26, 06, 11:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by cressers
Now aparantly this is pretty common...not sure if this was to re-assure me or not.
It really, really is VERY common. Infact, almost every flight has some medical incident occur onboard and certainly one in three if not more will see someone collapse.

That's why we as crew are trained quite highly in first aid, CPR etc.

Travelling is stressful and a lot of people fail to eat/rest adequately before a flight. Suddenly, reduced oxugen levels, standing up quickly after having been sitting down for a number of hours, excessive alcohol intake (on a fairly empty stomach) all compound to cause a collapse.

Don't worry about it. It's amazing how many people experience this for the FIRST time on a jet. Just be thankful that you had some of my excellently trained colleagues on hand to look after you (I assume you were on BA).
Old Mar 27, 06, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Phew....was indeed on BA, and they were really really nice and comforting about it....got the oxygen etc, and was nice to be fussed over, although hugely embarrassing....I came through from WT+ made it about 4 rows towards the back, and thump!

Sounds like I hit all the requirements, not eating properly, rushing, drinking on an empty stomach, standing up too quickly!!!

Lesson my learned on this one!!
Old Mar 27, 06, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Phew....was indeed on BA, and they were really really nice and comforting about it....got the oxygen etc, and was nice to be fussed over, although hugely embarrassing....I came through from WT+ made it about 4 rows towards the back, and thump!

Sounds like I hit all the requirements, not eating properly, rushing, drinking on an empty stomach, standing up too quickly!!!

Lesson my learned on this one!!

Happened to me twice so far. worst one was off SQ from NRT to LAX. After landing, I got up, grabed my carry on and fell flat on my face with a very dizzy spell. Not a pleasant experience.
Old Mar 27, 06, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
Had a wierd episode today, was happily asleep flying from DFW-LGW when I woke up, felt nautious, started heading to the toilet, when I fainted?

I will admit to having not eaten much that morning, and to having some wine (2 little bottles...)

So has this ever happened to anyone else, or should I be waiting at the doctors office this morning???
I did a double take and thought you said you'd drunk 2 LITRE bottles - I was thinking that might have been the cause of your faint :-) - after re-reading it again, I saw my error! Glad to hear you are ok.

Efin
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 06, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
It really, really is VERY common. Infact, almost every flight has some medical incident occur onboard and certainly one in three if not more will see someone collapse.

That's why we as crew are trained quite highly in first aid, CPR etc.
So, have you ever delivered a baby on board?

And if so, did the mother in question decide to call her new-born "TITS" ?
HIDDY and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 27, 06, 3:17 am

Tits is right, there is a faint every couple of flights.
I have never delivered a baby but, once had a lady in labour for the whole of a 5 hour flight. She said she was fine when she boarded, but, as soon as them wheels were up she was in agony!!!!!!
Hmmmmmmm, odd don't you think? I suppose it had nothing to do with the fact we were on a LHR bound flight from one of the toilets of the earth!!!
Old Mar 27, 06, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loobtastic
I suppose it had nothing to do with the fact we were on a LHR bound flight from one of the toilets of the earth!!!
I didn't know you worked domestics.... from MAN
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Mar 27, 06, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Not fainted myself although have had someone Faint in the aisle and fall on top of me on the way back from Hong Kong with BA97 last March. Apart from the initial shock of someone waking me up (he was a big chap), I did end up getting a Club pillow as the one I gave him of mine to put behind his head as we tried to help him in the aisle was rather dirty from the floor afterwards...
Old Mar 27, 06, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
So, have you ever delivered a baby on board?

And if so, did the mother in question decide to call her new-born "TITS" ?
I haven't, but I've had to deal with something else involving that "region" of the body that was far, far less pleasant.

That's when we really earn our money. That's when people realise that we're not glorified waiters/waitresses.
Old Mar 27, 06, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
I haven't, but I've had to deal with something else involving that "region" of the body that was far, far less pleasant.
stuck tampon?
Old Mar 27, 06, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
stuck tampon?
I wish.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: