Anyone fainted on a flight before?

Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Or the NCW wake up position
So you find yourself semi erect in the NCW wake up position?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
[QUOTE=Jimmie76
When much younger, and this was a fair few years ago now we flew TWA to LAX in Y and had a longish flight. The movie was boring and so I went for a walk to the back and sat on a jumpseat whilst waiting for a toilet to become free. I noticed a bloke leaving the lav closest to me and went to go and use it, but the door wouldn't open, and I then heard the door lock slam shut. [/QUOTE]

So be honest, did you wait to see who came out, or find another lav?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by DocH
So be honest, did you wait to see who came out, or find another lav?
I was very young at the time and was just puzzled, I went into the next available one, If it happened now I'd wait and see.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:22 am

This happened to me today glad to see I'm not there only one I drank a little before but felt sober once boarding with 20 mins left felt like I was flying backwards nauseous dizzy walked to the bathroom closed the door woke up to the flight attendants asking for a doctor they said I fainted and was unresponsive they gave me oxygen and the paramedics checked me out and told me airports get over 80,000 calls for this exact thing every year just calls me to see other stories super similar to mine
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:56 am

I have fainted when I was travelling in ET and they tried to charge me for a G&T for the firs time.
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Katrina Evans
This happened to me today glad to see I'm not there only one
Hi, Katrina, and welcome to the Forum. And a Happy Easter to you! Do stick around ... we always like new ‘voices’.

A gentle note that we don’t regenerate ancient Threads here ... have a good browse of the T&C, please!

That said, yes, I fainted for the first time in my life (at 74), airside at LGW (S) after coming off a long-haul and having my usual kerb-side cigarette outside the Terminal. I just gently, whilst fully aware, folded gently to the floor! Not nice, but all over in a few seconds. No desire to repeat the experience!!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Katrina Evans
This happened to me today glad to see I'm not there only one I drank a little before but felt sober once boarding with 20 mins left felt like I was flying backwards nauseous dizzy walked to the bathroom closed the door woke up to the flight attendants asking for a doctor they said I fainted and was unresponsive they gave me oxygen and the paramedics checked me out and told me airports get over 80,000 calls for this exact thing every year just calls me to see other stories super similar to mine
Well thankfully it doesn't sound too serious, and we're glad you here, as they say. Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Katrina Evans. I hope we will see plenty more of you, bright eyed and bushy tailed, hereinafter.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
As a frequent flyer physician I have dealt with more than a dozen "events" like this, both in the air and in the terminal.

Most common reason for this is dehydration leading to orthostatic hypotension and then fainting in otherwise "normal" people.

Dehydration is so common in air travel due to factors such as cabin altitude, lack of access to water, lack of desire to drink (hard to get to lavatory), caffeine and alcohol are diuretics which further dehydrate the flyer.
Then add long term sitting which leads pooling of blood in the lower extremities, away from the central circulation were it is needed to perfuse the brain and you have the "perfect storm" for fainting episodes.

All the best. John
LTN Phobia, HMPS and nk15 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Old threads used to be a bit saucier
HIDDY, T8191, chrismk and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Give us a sample please .
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Smirnoff's witty posts was the main reason I joined FT. Sorely missed.
I agree with the experts. Never go without breakfast even if it means you have to get up earlier.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:32 pm

I fainted in F once. No crew were around and I felt really unwell for several hours afterwards. The crew were pretty unconcerned and I had to ask for water which was all I really wanted.

It was a shame as Iit was my first F in over 20 years and I'd been eager to see the developments in the product. I realised then that the crew makes or breaks F.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not fainted, but last week on a flight i got a pretty heavy noose bleed. Stewardess was very good handing over lots of tissues and kept an eye on me. She told me just to press the button if i needed anything.

Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
One of the CC fainted during a BACF flight I took recently. The CSM came to get the oxygen and I thought is was for a passenger, but turned out to be his colleague. Fortunately, she seemed to recover fairly well by the end of the flight.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, it has happened to me, twice, to my dismay. Most recently I went down like a skittle on a Virgin flight whilst trying to make my way to the toilet to hide there and get over it. I think it was due to what mnhusker wrote in post 53 above.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.