Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why I recommend blowing your BA Miles on a holiday in Mexico !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why I recommend blowing your BA Miles on a holiday in Mexico !

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:37 am

Raffles, you've given some superb advice and I whole-heartedly agree with your suggestion to visit Mexico using BA Miles. ^

SWMBO and I flew out here on our Amex 2 for 1 tickets in F and have had a fantastic time. We're now on our last day, but all good things must come to an end at some point!

I have a couple of questions:

What lounge do BA offer in MEX?
Is there a priority pass lounge at Cancun airport?

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Not Domestic. In the International Terminal you can use Aeromexico, Mexicana or Mera.

I've totally forgotten what the lounge situation is in MEX, sorry. Glad you've enjoyed the holiday!
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Mexico is certainly not a mainstream destination for UK travellers, but in the US it is a different matter, even once you get past the Spring Break/Cancun masses.

My mother and father in law really enjoy Puerto Vallarta. Not been to the country myself but the wife thinks we should go sometime soon...
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Thanks Raffles for helping me choose next year's May holiday.

My biggest problem is that I'm earning BA Miles quicker than I can burn them!! When am I ever going to get round spending the million BA Miles I bought via Marriott???

Cheers
/MHL
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd total endorse the sentiments above. Got back last week from 10 days in Tulum/Cozumel. A great combination of loafing on the beach, diving and driving around inland exploring. The only slightly overwhelming element was the cruise ship crowds in Cozumel during the day...but then we were 30metres under for most of it. Once you get out of Cancun (great for some, not for me) there was no sign of Spring Break either.

We stayed here in Tulum
www.mezzanine.com.mx
which was great. Very small and intimate, great food and a fab party on Friday night. Loads of other places along the beach are similarly low key and non-resorty. Posada Margerita also looked great.

In Cozumel we used
www.aldora.com
who were bloody fantastic and comfortably the best dive experience I've had. A ^ to JDiver for that tip

Mexico is friendly, good value and easy to travel in but with enough stimulation for the latent hardcore backpacker in me. A miles note, if you can't get availability to MEX, DFW is very easy to get and AA have plentiful connections from there either same day or overnight.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Mar 31, 2007 at 7:21 pm
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:15 am

Very useful thread - looks like the Other Half and I will be jumping on the Mexico bandwagon in November (postponing South Africa until 2008). Useful views on hotels in Mexico City - I'm getting the W & FS at USD170 a night, and the IC at USD159 a night.

We thinking about doing Acapulco for some R&R - anyone have any hotel recommendations over there? Las Brisas seems to get a good rep, and is about USD200 a night for one of their private pool rooms.

Originally Posted by Raffles
Helpful hint: Internal flights are not cheap. We spent £700 between us for three internal flights. You will not find them cheaper than the Mexicana website – believe me, I tried. Business class flights are 2-3 times the price so not worth it, in my view. Neither Mexicana or Aeromexico are in any of the major alliances so no lounge access unless you have a Priority Pass, although you can credit Mexicana flights to an AA account. We stuck to Mexicana flights (all new Airbus planes, most codeshared with Aeromexico) although Click Mexicana (its budget offshoot) flies some routes on Avro’s if you want to save a few pounds. You will be impressed by the domestic and indeed international terminals at the Mexico City airport.
Expedia is pricing up the 55min MEX - ACA flights at USD377 for Y, and USD417 for J. Thinking that an extra GBP25 each for business is fairly reasonable, particularly if it includes lounge access.......
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
great review. you have also been brave where in similar circumstances I have been fearful - I refer to your short connection time at mexico city on returning. what would have happened if your inbound flight had been delayed a) in terms of BA response to a miles ticket or b) if this was problematic insurance company response (would they refuse to pay on grounds that too short a connection time?)
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by imarks
Raffles, you've given some superb advice and I whole-heartedly agree with your suggestion to visit Mexico using BA Miles. ^

SWMBO and I flew out here on our Amex 2 for 1 tickets in F and have had a fantastic time. We're now on our last day, but all good things must come to an end at some point!

I have a couple of questions:

What lounge do BA offer in MEX?
Is there a priority pass lounge at Cancun airport?

Thanks
We're now back home and missing Mexico! It was a truly excellent holiday. Raffles' hotel recommendations were top-notch!

Regarding the lounges:

BA at MEX - it's an AA Admirals Club which also accepts Priority Pass card holders. Not very nice but it did have free wifi and surprisingly friendly lounge dragons... We were late for boarding and they sent one of those electric buggies to take us to the gate - thank goodness, as it would have been a 30 minute walk otherwise!

Cancun - no lounge for domestic flight. OT - There were a lot of very sunburnt people wearring large sombreros and resort bracelets at this airport!

Raffles - you are a star - many thanks once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.