BA's Dubai club lounge

Old Mar 6, 06, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, BA Blue (boo), HH Gold,
BA's Dubai club lounge

Any reviews on BA's Dubai club lounge and the sleeper service to LHR? We fly in First - any champagne in the lounge for us or will we have to wait until we board?

Also should we eat in a restaurant before we board the 0145?

Thanks to all who reply.
Old Mar 6, 06, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
DXB is one of the more dire lounges in the system. Their 'sparkling' wine sure didn't sparkle.
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Monkville
DXB is one of the more dire lounges in the system. Their 'sparkling' wine sure didn't sparkle.
I think 'dire' is a bit strong, it's definitely better than most of the non-London UK lounges in terms of space, a good drinks selection, web-connected PC and snack food.
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Yes, I wouldn't call it dire. I thought it was OK when I used it a couple of years ago. It's certainly a peaceful retreat from the chaos of the main terminal with people lying all over the floor etc. Can't comment on the sleeper service, as it didn't exist when I used the lounge and I'm not sure I was that hungry at 2am anyway.
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Yes it was fine - think Birmingham terraces lounge with a touch of the lower level London Gatwick Terraces and you are on the right track.

However what was surprising was the rather attractive Club Sandwiches!

Although to be honest I would have been more outgoing with the drinks and food if I hadn't been so tired!!! The 3am flight is a little anti-social - thank goodness for the Club beds onboard - it was one flight I really did feel for those down the back!!!!
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by volley
Also should we eat in a restaurant before we board the 0145?
The sleeper service from the middle east is different from the east coast NA. There is no meal provided in the lounge although as BA97 stated there are snacks.

For flights at this hour I assume it is expected that you would have already eaten dinner and just want to get on and sleep.

My last early morning departure from BAH in J had some light meal options as well as the signature hot chocolate and cookie.
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Moomba
....as well as the signature hot chocolate and cookie.
Which I must admit I was slightly disappointed with....if only I had my Cappuccino wizzy thing at hand - it would have been fine!
Old Mar 6, 06, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
We had a nice long leisurely and posh dinner at the hotel prior to going back to room to relax before checking out and leaving for the airport just before midnight. OK - so we paid for an extra night but it gives you a full day at your hotel/resort.

Got to the Terraces lounge only to find it was packed for the 2 am flight - most other passengers were loittering around as there was nothing else to do at the airport and given the late hour, most passengers check-in early.

Minimal food - sandwiches which reminded me of tradition British Rail sandwiches with curled up edges. One savoury choice if I recollect from last year. We were still full from dinner at the hotel to want food. This is definitely not a pre-sleeper flight meal service but it is a sleeper flight.

Turn down and lights out on board CW was very speedy soon after take off.
Old Mar 6, 06, 11:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
BA thinks it is dire. If you are flying in F and you comment upon the lounge, BA will immediately buy you admission to another (better) lounge at DXB or issue you a food voucher. They are obviously embarrassed about the lounge there. At least this has been my experience (and my comments were mild, merely asking if this really was the lounge that they used).

As for whether you should eat prior to boarding, absolutely if you are at all hungry or fussy about food. The DXB catering in F is atrocious, surprisingly so. Cheese is about the only highlight of the meal (and the wines are the usual ones, DXB is definitely not dry).
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, BA Blue (boo), HH Gold,
Thanks to all for the comments and tips.
Old Mar 7, 06, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Flying Blue Gold
I have just booked 4 BA Miles flights in F for December to DXB - both day flights.

Is on-board catering that bad in F on this route?

I have done several USA F flights, and it has been v. good. Should I take a Pot Noodle & ask for hot water?
Old Mar 7, 06, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
OK, maybe "dire" should be reserved for the jewels in the lounge system, like BOM. But given what DXB is, or hopes to be, the lounge sure doesn't have the pizzazz of comparable "destinations".

On a similar vein, would it be a good idea to post a lounge rating system on FT, in order to steer travellers towards or away from minimizing their airport experience?

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Lounges.htm isn't really all that comprehensive.
Old Mar 7, 06, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Monkville
OK, maybe "dire" should be reserved for the jewels in the lounge system, like BOM. But given what DXB is, or hopes to be, the lounge sure doesn't have the pizzazz of comparable "destinations".

On a similar vein, would it be a good idea to post a lounge rating system on FT, in order to steer travellers towards or away from minimizing their airport experience?

http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/Lounges.htm isn't really all that comprehensive.
I'd say the lounge is a perfect metaphor for Dubai - on initial glance it promises much but is actually just a veneer of acceptablity over a less palatable reality. Or something like that.

Regardless of that, it can get ridiculously crowded when the CX flight and late BA flight are there - or when there are 2x9am departures (a full 777 and 767).
Old Mar 7, 06, 4:50 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Cestrian
I have just booked 4 BA Miles flights in F for December to DXB - both day flights.

LHR-DXB catering is fine and similar to trans-Atlantic catering, it is DXB-LHR that is poor (at least for the night flight, I've never taken the day flights).
Old Mar 7, 06, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Cestrian

Comments were on DXB lounge only. F service is great and as per any long-haul flight; with one extra bit.

At the start of the flight, even at LHR, as a welcome, you get offered a tradition Arabian coffee from a Arabian looking coffee pot and a date. Nice traditional touch for BA to adopt for the destination.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: