Search

OT: Flyglobespan cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2006, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI *G
OT: Flyglobespan cancellation

Hi folks,

I have a booking with Globespan from Glasgow to Prague. Flyglobespan have recently cancelled the return flight to Prague. This causes a problem as I have a room booked at the Intercontinental that is fully paid for, is non refundable & non transferable.

I’m coming back home from New Zealand to get married & this is the 1st part of my honeymoon before flying back to NZ via Fiji for the main part of my honeymoon. Globespan aren’t interested in my predicament & my travel insurance won’t cover me for this either.

All Globespan have offered is a full refund or to transfer the dates. If I take the full refund & don’t go then I loose 350 euros on my hotel room. If I take the full refund the cheapest flight I can get for the 2 of us that’s suitable is 200 pounds each return. Or if I take the outbound flight & get a refund for the inbound the cheapest 1 way from Prague is 65 pounds a head.

Can you guys give me any advice in order to keep my losses to a minimum? I right p*ssed off with the attitude Globspan have adopted, the girl I spoke to on the phone basically couldn’t give a toss.

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (blue), BMI Diamond Club (blue)
I have flown globespan a few times and they have been ok, but with budget airlines there is always a downside and you pay for what you get. Have you thought about flying with Czech airlines from Edinburgh? They have a direct flight from there.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Sadly I don't think you have a leg to stand on. The carrier can offer you an alternative flight or your money back, so long as it's more than 7 or 14 days away IIRC, but this isn't unique to the LCC's. (Just look at the BA commercial policy that they put in place when a flight gets rescheduled).

What i'd do is buy those one way £65 tickets now (before the price goes up). If you then want to have a bit of a laugh, what you could do is file to take Globespan to the small claims court to recover the £130. It might not stand up because of the T&C's but you acted in good faith in booking the flight and only costs £20. You can defend yourself, but they would have to send someone along to represent them. This is likely to cost more than the £130 (less the refund you get from them) so they may well just pay up.

Might be worth just explaining this scenario to them to see how they respond.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:14 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
FlyGlobespan are notorious for this. They announce routes, take bookings and then a few months later either cancel the route entirely or alter the schedules. Approximatley two years ago hey announced a EDI-MAD service but then dropped it before it had even started, citing low advance bookings.

From a personal point I was very happy when they announced a BOH-EDI service. The single daily rotation (depart EDI 07:50, depart BOH 09:40) was not well timed for us but we were still able to make a few bookings. Less than two months after announcing the route they pulled it before it had started, again citing low advance bookings.

The cancellation cost me around £100. I had booked a one-way to EDI for Easter for about £25. Following the cancellation I was forced to book a SOU-EDI with flybe at £125 as I still had to get back to Edinburgh to collect my car and the dog!

There were not interesed in my complaints, stating that under the T&C's they had the right to cancel without paying compensation.

Interestingly, those that fly with them rate the service they provide. However, with their attitute to route cancellations and schedule changes they are in danger of destroying a considerable amount of goodwill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.