Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Ten years in a Big4 consultancy in Germany and the UK and had the pleasure (it was a great time) to work for the firm in Dubai/ Doha for 2 years.

And regarding the train drivers - I also wanted to be one, as my dad was working for over 35 years as a train manager for Deutsche Bahn (the German railways, in their long-distance travel ICE branch) so I always was traveling with him when I was a young 10 year old boy and he was working.

This was actually the reason why I wanted to go to University in the end - coming from a small town in Lower Bavaria I was impressed by the tie wearing business guys travelling in First in and out of Frankfurt. Good times, will be always thankful for my dad that he took me with him.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Bronze
Paediatric/Neonatal Intensive Care pharmacist is my day job, after hours though I go help at my parents chippy, hence the name! Although at the moment I’ve packed in the chippy and I’m working with others on establishing a big COVID-19 vaccination centre in West London.

Neither of my jobs afford me business travel so most of my travel is leisure, luckily (or rather unluckily at the moment) I have family scattered around the globe and have visited more than a few places through BA and other Oneworld partners, mostly in Y though!
Shingi, catmndu, T8191 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
After leaving BA as cabin crew and starting for my principal on his jet, I am now the Cabin Services Manager for the operation.

We operate two business jets and a fleet of small geological survey aircraft and I look after the roster for the cabin crew team including myself, keep an eye over service onboard, what is spent on things for the jets etc. and also the EASA compliant safety and survival equipment for the survey aircraft which operate in remote environments for the oil, gas a mineral sector.

I work 4 weeks on duty and 4 weeks "off" (not that I am never really off) and travel is a mix of Economy, Premium Economy and Business. just depends on the time we are booking at what works best for schedule and cost etc.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 12:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jamier45
I fix planes and defend UK airspace and interests at home and abroad.

Update from me: I still fix aircraft but not for the RAF anymore. I say fix.....I now mainly supervise others fixing them!
PaulN, toothy, BingBongBoy and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Update from me: I still fix aircraft but not for the RAF anymore. I say fix.....I now mainly supervise others fixing them!
I have always been fascinated by the engineering and MX side of aviation and always used to look from a far when I was at BA.

Now, however, I am quite involved when our aircraft go for MX inputs, and having been through the delivery process of a new jet at the manufacturer, it was like being a kid in a sweet shop, seeing everything being done. Sadly not from the airframe side, but completions of the interior, but did see a couple of frames that had not long arrived and entered completions, which were a bare shell with just wiring harness installed and some insulation etc. Absolutely fascinating stuff to see... I do envy a technical mind to a degree. Not something I have ever had, my dad did but that went to my brother, and I got the fluffy stuff side of the brain to make things look nice and take care of people...

Hope you are enjoying the life on civvy street!
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Blue
I'm a cleaner doing contract work and while I used to do a reasonable amount of work travel at the moment that's all dried up

DMF
BingBongBoy, KARFA and 13901 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
I'm a Flight Simulator Engineer. Many years of experience in simulators & facilities around the world including:

Military - fast jet & multi-engined plus several rear-crew simulators.
Civilian airliners - Boeing, Airbus, Embraer plus cabin crew trainers
Rotary wing - Chinook, Merlin & Puma.
Air/Land Combat simulation.

There are worse jobs

And to answer a couple of the most common questions I'm asked:

No, I don't hold a pilot's license.
Yes, if the flight crew were incapacitated, & no other qualified flight crew were available, I could land the aircraft with a reasonable degree of competance & success.

Last edited by impeymac; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:38 pm
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC
Television producer here. Mostly making Saturday night entertainment and reality shows. Long haul flights in business, short haul economy unless it’s cheaper for business once excess baggage fees are accounted for. CC often like trying to guess what Production it is that we’re all travelling for.
RoyalSwazi and ColOrd like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
Wow genuinely shocked at how many rail staff there are on the forum although I knew of at least two of you who I know outside of FT.

+1 Another one for a minion of the railway! Again work travel doesn't really get more exciting for me than a trip to Croydon, Gatwick or Three Bridges, or if I am really lucky York! We have had one or two international jaunts to see our parent company but even they were just on the Eurostar!
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Another rail worker here. Train Manager, with the occasional international trip across the border into Wales.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Schwann
Another rail worker here. Train Manager, with the occasional international trip across the border into Wales.
Ahhh international travel! I remember that
antichef, RoyalSwazi and Schwann like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Still no major change here. Left the RAF in ‘93 after 29 years, did voluntary stuff, moved to Jersey in ‘05 ... and ceased long-haul Leisure travel on 7 Mar ‘20. Now just a bored (but vaccinated) 76-yo OAP with a new hobby ... managing holiday refunds (7 and counting) and wondering if we will ever escape from JER again in our lifetime!! 😟
Shingi, RoyalSwazi, paulaf and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I wish you a long and healthy lifetime and consequent membership of the "escape committee"
yellow_peril and T8191 like this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Gongfermor
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by macdrew
Gongfermor
I have not come across one of those for many years. There were a group who operated the honey suckers at night round certain locations who were known as "The T**d Burglars" and had a T Shirt in stripes with the motto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.