Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
So are you all tailors or just run of the mill sartorialists?

My job involves creating online training, videos and content for the business, who's answer was always, and still is, yes.

Most travel is personal, with occasional business thrown in.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Soupdragon62
It's public transport, not a night at the opera.

I dress for comfort and for being able to sleep without waking up with my dinner jacket all wrinkled and my bow tie stuck down the back of my seat somewhere with the crumbs and god knows what else.
If I interpret your username correctly, you were born in 1962; that makes you 56 which means your natural feathers are dinner jacket and bow tie! Just act your age. And don’t dribble thus adding to the stuff down the back of BA seats.
Soupdragon62 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Greenpen

If I interpret your username correctly, you were born in 1962; that makes you 56 which means your natural feathers are dinner jacket and bow tie! Just act your age.
I think you’ll find @Soupdragon62 is free to do what he wants , any old time .... :-)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by memesweeper

I think you’ll find @Soupdragon62 is free to do what he wants , any old time .... :-)
Quite...age has it's perks
Greenpen and T8191 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Simisqo
1) I would like to know the most popular occupation of BA Fters that enables you guys to travel so widely.
I'm an IT consultant, mainly security and cloud. Previously more around operational troubleshooting, but I've had enough of the sleepless nights.

My work travel is now just over a dozen sectors a year. I travel more miles by surface transport for work. At one point it was a weekly commute by air though.

Originally Posted by Simisqo
2) I am a student studying Politics (Bsc). What do you guys think are the best career options for me which would involve a lot of travelling, apart from the obvious. (diplomatic service)
Anything that earns plenty of money and comes with lots of time off is ideal -- that way you can fly where you want, not where your employer/client needs you to be. :-)

The most well traveled person I've met, a guy who was flying almost daily, was maintaining MRI scanners in hospitals. I guess any role with involving a rare skill with global scope will have the same requirements. Similarly, if you become in the world's top five experts in almost anything then there will be at least some invites to speak at conferences or assist with thorny problems somewhere.

I find the monthly visit to T5 a nice distraction from the usual grind, and a new destination is always welcome. Flying significantly more frequently, especially to and from the same places -- for me -- would be a drag.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:47 am

I'm an IT consultant, mainly security and cloud. Previously more around operational troubleshooting, but I've had enough of the sleepless nights.
What kind of destinations do you need to fly to? Europe or otherwise?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We got shot of the cattle several months ago - not literally of course. They were sold to the chap who we contract the land out to grow cereal. I finally persuaded the wife that having a herd of cattle as pets wasn't a good idea at our age and she should take up knitting instead.
But where is she going to get her wool from if you sold all the cattle?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by memesweeper

Ok I need to play that now as it's become today's earworm and I need to get some work done....

Thanks a bunch ;-)
newyorklondon and memesweeper like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Ok I need to play that now as it's become today's earworm and I need to get some work done....

Thanks a bunch ;-)
Which version? That of Soupdragon62's namesake, or Mick and Keith's?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Pascoe
But where is she going to get her wool from if you sold all the cattle?
The sheep! It is so much easier to harvest than Bull's wool ... and you have to be brave to try to gather that
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by antichef
The sheep! It is so much easier to harvest than Bull's wool ... and you have to be brave to try to gather that
I am sure any self-respecting cow would argue that's a moo-t point
RoyalSwazi and memesweeper like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC
In response to @Simisqo - try getting a job as flight / cabin crew with an international airline
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by goldwannabe
What kind of destinations do you need to fly to? Europe or otherwise?
Europe for actual earning business.

US occasionally for training / conferences.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I am moving as I get more senior from being a technology lawyer full time and doing LGBT+ rights in my Firm on the side to the other way round. #we arenotneutral
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Which version? That of Soupdragon62's namesake, or Mick and Keith's?
Soup Dragons.
newyorklondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.