OT: occupation of BA FTers

Old Nov 16, 17, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm on track to start working as a trainee lawyer with one of the big international firms in the city come September. I've always hoped that i'll be able to find a niche in corporate work that allows for plenty of travel but I know it's more common in finance. A girl can dream anyway!
Tobias-UK, AlbaGuBrath and ben1991 like this.
Old Nov 16, 17, 12:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by SophLVA View Post
I'm on track to start working as a trainee lawyer with one of the big international firms in the city come September. I've always hoped that i'll be able to find a niche in corporate work that allows for plenty of travel but I know it's more common in finance. A girl can dream anyway!
Without dreams and aspirations life would be dull, good luck
Old Nov 16, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by SophLVA View Post
Good luck! Depending on the firm you may well be able to spend time working abroad, either as part of your training contract or once you qualify. I'm not a lawyer (although I did read law at university) but thanks to my job I have seen a lot of Europe as well as the Middle East plus Hong Kong and Singapore! If you get the opportunity to travel, I would definitely take it. You may also be able to get a secondment with a client and that may give opportunities for travel as well
Old Nov 16, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Vice-President of a Russell Group university.
Old Nov 16, 17, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
Good luck! Depending on the firm you may well be able to spend time working abroad, either as part of your training contract or once you qualify. I'm not a lawyer (although I did read law at university) but thanks to my job I have seen a lot of Europe as well as the Middle East plus Hong Kong and Singapore! If you get the opportunity to travel, I would definitely take it. You may also be able to get a secondment with a client and that may give opportunities for travel as well
Thank you! Yes I will definitely have the option to request an international secondment, I was luckily enough selected to work in the HK office in July/August which was great, I loved it out there. It sounds like you have great variety in where you get to go, that's ideal! You just never know what opportunities might come your way and I totally agree that best thing to do (more often than not) is to take them and see where they lead.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 16, 17, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club; U2 Flight Club; Hilton Honors; IHG
Freelance IT consultant. Some of my clients are out of London and I fly shorthaul BA or U2 to their sites; very occasionally I visit the States.

Last year did my first long haul J to LAS, which was thanks to learning about advance purchase ex-EU, which was thanks to FT BAEC, so thanks all!

Unlike many (most?) others here I avoid leisure flying. Did five sectors in the summer this year as part of a family visit to South East Asia, but that was the first leisure flying in five years. May do more in future though as the Avios pile isn’t good for much else...
Old Nov 17, 17, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I'm a Software Engineer with no travel for work but decent enough pay to do 50 segments per year (BA Sliver here I come). I just moved to London so flights are pretty convenient and plentiful.
Old Nov 17, 17, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
I'm a Software Engineer with no travel for work but decent enough pay to do 50 segments per year (BA Sliver here I come). I just moved to London so flights are pretty convenient and plentiful.
This might be a silly question, but - would it be worth paying for occasional upgrades earlier on in the year, where they’re available cheaply, to hit 600TP quickly? Or even taking a couple of special trips to rack them up? 50 flights in Economy is a long time to wait for lounge access/extra avios, and my guess is that someone in your circumstances that would benefit most from a quick dash to silver (or at least speeding yourself there via a few upgrades).
T8191, rockflyertalk and Flame3601 like this.
Old Nov 17, 17, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
This might be a silly question, but - would it be worth paying for occasional upgrades earlier on in the year, where they’re available cheaply, to hit 600TP quickly? Or even taking a couple of special trips to rack them up? 50 flights in Economy is a long time to wait for lounge access/extra avios, and my guess is that someone in your circumstances that would benefit most from a quick dash to silver (or at least speeding yourself there via a few upgrades).
Or even a QR J sale fare for ~£550 (provided another one appears), that'd be 560TPs over a weekend if you time it right.
Old Nov 17, 17, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by squawk View Post
Indeed. That is what I do, as I just moved to London. After that, however, I will have no problem maintaining status. I bought a Priority pass with 10 free lounge trips, and upgrade when it makes sense (Either I need the luggage allowance, as I am still moving some of my belongings to London, or the upgrade falls under a certain price per TP. This ends up being justifiable more often than not.)

My current schedule will have me hit silver around Feb, having started flying from London in September. That'll be about 14 Club Europe segments and 6 Euro Traveller segments.
squawk likes this.

Last edited by thebigben; Nov 17, 17 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 17, 17, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Mid- to high level IT with certain specialties. All travel is on my own dime.
Part time cowgirl in my off-time ;D.
Old Nov 17, 17, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Contractor in the Oil & Gas industry. Current rotational project assignment in North Africa sees me using BA regularly so easily got to Gold for the first time this year, plus a few LH personal trips in J / F (via sale / Ex-EU fares).

I usually have no say in which airline, we have to go with the most convenient depending on location and ease of getting me there from North East UK. Previously held status with AF/KLM and EK but they've long since lapsed.
Old Nov 17, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: AMEX PP;BAEC Bronze;Tesco CC Preferred;
Retired pilot, managing to cash in two 241s every year in First for the past 12 (?) years plus sundry CE reward savers, largely thanks to Amex and to Raffles who got me going when the amazing, short-lived Marriott Points > Tesco Clubcard > Air Miles trick existed. Who remembers that?!
Old Nov 17, 17, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA GFL/GGL/CCR, SPG Plat for Life, HHDiamond, xG Aegean, Avis President's Circle
Theatre and opera director
gustavmahler and Calchas like this.
Old Nov 17, 17, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Charlie Whiskey View Post
Retired pilot, managing to cash in two 241s…!
I totally misread “cash” as “crash”, and started wondering what kind of aircraft a “241” was for a few seconds before re-reading your post... #TGIF
LTN Phobia and LCSinTexas like this.

Search this Thread