Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Depends upon where you are. In Canada that is a restricted title, only those who are members of the Provincial engineering associations (and thus qualified by degree + apprenticeship) can call themselves Engineers.

Similarly, any company that has Engineering in the name, or a variant that implies they offer engineering services must have at least one qualified engineer on staff + a permit to practice.
Many thanks for taking the time to explain that - it shall be my fact for the day.

As a point of interest, I have also seen people using 'Eng.' as a title in the arab world, e.g. Eng. Akbar Al Habibi.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
As a point of interest, I have also seen people using 'Eng.' as a title in the arab world, e.g. Eng. Akbar Al Habibi.
In Canada it's P.Eng. (Professional Engineer) as a suffex; e.g John Brown, P.Eng. The UK equivalent is a Chartered Engineer.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Why?
IT is often perceived as a pejorative term. It's printers, it's email, it's all the things people hate interfacing with in the corporate world.

What we do is computer engineering at huge scale it couldn't be further removed from traditional IT.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I've given up on academia and am now a trainee supermarket manager. Though at the moment I mostly seem to be learning butchery and fishmongering.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:13 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13A344 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by dc2447
Why?
IT is often perceived as a pejorative term. It's printers, it's email, it's all the things people hate interfacing with in the corporate world.

What we do is computer engineering at huge scale it couldn't be further removed from traditional IT.
Remind me who is being pejorative?!

Last edited by Kgmm77; Sep 19, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Depends upon where you are. In Canada that is a restricted title, only those who are members of the Provincial engineering associations (and thus qualified by degree + apprenticeship) can call themselves Engineers....
I'm waiting in tomorrow for the British Gas engineer to service my central heating boiler....
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Legend! I love californian wines, have about 30 bottles stashed in scotland from various trips your way both north and south of sfo. From paso robles to anderson valley, love it all!
Thanks, appreciate the support! I'm in Rutherford, Napa Valley. If I ever make it to a BA "DO" I'll be sure to bring along a couple bottles of delicious cab franc based Napa wines. I'll actually be transiting Heathrow on the date of the next one (30 Oct) but won't have time to get into central London.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by btbx11
Thanks, appreciate the support! I'm in Rutherford, Napa Valley. If I ever make it to a BA "DO" I'll be sure to bring along a couple bottles of delicious cab franc based Napa wines. I'll actually be transiting Heathrow on the date of the next one (30 Oct) but won't have time to get into central London.
I was in the Rutherford Grill last Sunday - great for meat eaters!!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Depends upon where you are. In Canada that is a restricted title, only those who are members of the Provincial engineering associations (and thus qualified by degree + apprenticeship) can call themselves Engineers.

Similarly, any company that has Engineering in the name, or a variant that implies they offer engineering services must have at least one qualified engineer on staff + a permit to practice. Thus you will never see a mechanic calling himself a "Motor Engineer". People with that sort of title design engines at Ford, GM etc, they don't repair them.

It's a self regulating profession like Law and Medicine, and has similar discipline powers.
It is similar in the US as well, though it involves taking exams to become licensed, along with a degree and work experience. (I'm a licensed mechanical engineer.) I work in building design and when you submitted drawings/calculations to the authorities, they had to be stamped and signed by a P.E. who took official responsibility for the design. (Sometimes you had to submit up to 14 copies and every single sheet needs to be stamped and signed.)

I'm glad I work in the UK now where there isn't a similar requirement.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13A344 Safari/601.1)

Remind me who is being pejorative?!
Can a person be pejorative?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Ship's Captain
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by btbx11
Superb! Home of what i knew as rubicon and basically stellar wineries to my tastebuds. You lucky so and so!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc2447
Can a person be pejorative?
With a lot of practise.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
With a lot of practise.
It appears to be rather second nature in these parts
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL

Last edited by Speedbird876; Sep 21, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.