Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I trained as an orchestral conductor, and worked as such for a few years. I’m in my mid-30s and still do some, but mainly training student orchestras. My main day job is now at a music exam board, running the operations and developing our markets in Hong Kong, the Arab States and Thailand. I also deliver CPD courses for teachers. Vast majority of travel is personal. Having an American wife helps with that!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: VA Flying club/frequent flyer/Hilton/radisson/wyndham
Just a very busy but generally jolly funeral director.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
System Administrator & BI Analyst for a system that pays out £250-300m a year.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Another student, although a mature one. Trainee counsellor, all being well to get my official registration in March.
Psychological problems galore here for you to study.

Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
Stonemason. Responsible for a lot of the reconstruction work on Windsor Castle and Lincoln Cathedral. Most of my flying is pleasure but occasionally for work.
How interesting. ^

A pleasant change from the usual IT and financial sector mob who inhabit the place. I won't mention the lawyers...just in case.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I used to work for Analysys Mason on the Analysys side. It sounds like they are either your employer too or a competitor!

I failed utterly there because telecoms is not at all interesting to me. But I did learn how to be a consultant, which helped a great deal when I entered airline revenue management, first at Qatar Airways and now as an independent consultant.
Know AM well and they are indeed a competitor - we are small in relation to them but have a bunch of ex-Vodafone and BT senior people on board so plenty of firepower

I hate to think of myself as a consultant (I'm more towards the hairy-as*** engineer end of the spectrum) but happy to take consultant-sized fees
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY

How many Herefords do you own? Is that your full-time activity?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA
Boringly I work in IT, although really what I do more of these days is help customers in developing nations (mostly East Africa) with maximising value in their telecoms and IT infrastructure.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Psychiatrist working in the pharmaceutical industry....enough interesting observations to be made on FT
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I do Cloud Computing for the worlds favourite eCommerce Brand.

Anyone need a job?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:03 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by dc2447
I do Cloud Computing for the worlds favourite eCommerce Brand.

Anyone need a job?
My wife, who has just spent the past 4 months learning to code, would quite like one@:-)!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
How many Herefords do you own? Is that your full-time activity?
Varies between 30-50 but they aren't all Herefords. There's a few mixed breeds in amongst them.
Thankfully it's not our main source of income. It's more a hobby for the wife. I just pose for pictures looking as if I know what I'm doing.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
Stonemason. Responsible for a lot of the reconstruction work on Windsor Castle and Lincoln Cathedral.
Now that is an interesting job . Lincoln Cathedral must be never ending reconstruction!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Boringly a banking/finance solicitor mainly doing acquisition finance for the big four UK clearing banks at a top twenty firm. Working all hours but that makes the holidays all the more sweet right?!?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
I work for BA's seat-shifting department. You all thought it was done by computers, but there's actually a group of 50 people in Waterside who identifies those passengers who would most get annoyed by being shifted. Management tell us its because most BA customers are masochists so its good for them.

We're also responsible for dreaming up new and exotic excuses for front line staff to give to customers for being seat shifted and also for delays. There never was a volcano. We're quite proud of that one and are still thankful to the media for helping us out.

When I'm not making stuff up, I'm another that works in IT, although nowadays my coding prowess is exclusively limited to Powerpoint.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:46 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Now that is an interesting job . Lincoln Cathedral must be never ending reconstruction!
It's the sort of job I'd love to be doing if I had a) any capacity for skilled crafts like this and b) tolerance for heights that didn't end on the first rung of a stepladder.

That said Lincoln Cathedral is possibly my favourite building being Lincolnshire born and bred. The roof is also a great place to watch the Red Arrows from when they're out practising (I sometimes manage to put the fear of heights to one side).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.