Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:54 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by ojs555
P.P.S. Remember that your degree has nothing to do with your eventual job role!
I'd hate to think studying for a German degree wouldn't get me work where i'd always use the language
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ojs555
P.P.S. Remember that your degree has nothing to do with your eventual job role!
Not always true.

I studied Russian. And my job is directly related to Russia.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: BA , HH, PC RA
Ermm.. Trading of Swiss financial products,
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:03 am

What do FTers do?

There's no business like...... etc, etc, etc
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=Raffles

Business travel is, generally, painful!

[/QUOTE]

This is so true...while I have had many wonderful trips, met great people, seen different cultures...I have to say sometimes it is hard to remember. For instance right at this moment - a monday morning of the second week of a 2 week trip. I am tired and homesick!

Oh - IT in a global company.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:09 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Originally Posted by PhilH
Also, IT guys seem to get good amounts of travel in my company (although they're mostly quite senior). That's the trouble, it's usually seniority that gets you the best travel, but by the time you're senior enough to travel frequently in business class, you rarely get any time to enjoy it.
I am also in IT, and have quite a lot of business travel but am very much on the other end of the scale to the senior execs - I am on a Graduate program (almost finished)

At the moment travel is limited to europe, but quite a lot of s/h Y trips, pretty much on the road one week in two.

The travel is dependent on the role, but each role (of 4) has involved some travel - when working with people in the states, it tends to be one trip every 4-6 months - For the work I am currently doing I am at the coal face, so the boss tends not to want to do that much travelling, hence I get sent here, there and everywhere.

Travel policy is the same whether you are senior management (except execs) or bottom of the pile: J l-h, Y/J s-h (we manage our own travel budgets, if I spend it all on fully flex J trips, even within Europe it will not last that long but always J l-h)

I work in the Pharma sector

Originally Posted by simisqo
I am a student studying Politics (Bsc). What do you guys think are the best career options for me which would involve a lot of travelling
I have to say as someone who likes travelling, while I enjoy it, it does make it harder to justify a quick weekend break somewhere, the quarterly longhaul is fine as you can usually tag a couple of weekends on to it, and make it a little more bearable. If you do want to travel though, I would suggest looking at graduate roles with blue chip companies, though we have a similar graduate program in the states and they never travel anywhere.

just my .02 and it may of course be different for you
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, ICH Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Supply chain - lots of overseas sourcing = significant travel.
Ditto
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IC Ambassador, Priority Pass
IT in the financial services industry. Most of my travel is leisure.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (blue), BMI Diamond Club (blue)
Originally Posted by Simisqo
2) I am a student studying Politics (Bsc). What do you guys think are the best career options for me which would involve a lot of travelling, apart from the obvious. (diplomatic service)

Well I am a student too, in third year studying a BA in Tourism International Travel Management. A career in the travel and tourism industry will allow you to travel and it has good perks. However, the wages are not always the best!

Studying this course has opened my eyes to all the different opportunities in the industry, and on Friday I won a scholarship which will allow me to undertake work experience with Jumeirah hotels in Dubai, or the walt disney institute in Florida. Since starting my course, I've travelled a fair bit, lived and worked in Spain, and this is only the start......

Good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 4:30 am

Programs: BA & VS
I'm an Analyst for a Bank in the City.

The places we go are mostly New York, Frankfurt, India, Sydney and Honkers. We get a choice between AA, BA or VS J as long as they are the same price (which they usually are due to corp agreements)
Frankfurt is BA Y.

We have a link from our intranet to some BA and VS pages made specifically for our bank.

Last edited by Beany; Feb 13, 2006 at 4:37 am
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:17 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I'm a QF lurker. I lurk here because you guys seem quite nice and have fun. Well for Poms you seem quite nice. ^

I just retired from full time work very young - 25. Oops, not quite right - there are a 5 and a 2 in my age anyway. I was latterly a marketer and still do a bit of consultancy which allows me to get the tax man to pay for some of my travel Who am I kidding, a lot of my travel!

I spent 10 years working in the UK through the 70's and 80's as a callow youth for the old J Lyons Group of companies at Cadby Hall in W14 and Greenford. I wasn't a Lyons tea lady (the old ones here will remember those) but spent my time in marketing and industrial relations.

I miss the UK a lot and wish I could live there again and get away from the thatcherite right wing government we have here. I did spend 5 months in Leeds in 2004 where my partner had a medical secondment and we had a ball.

Despite the momentary aberration last year I look forward to an Ashes reversal at the end of 2006 and hope all my Pommy friends can't get tickets just like I couldn't get ticket in the old dart in 2005!

Now what was the question???
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:25 am

Air Traffic Controller... but unfortunately BA is not appreciative enough of me or my colleagues for helping to keep their Gold and Silver pax alive that they won't give me a nice seat unless I buy one myself.

Last edited by koksy; Feb 13, 2006 at 5:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2006, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by bvamin
IT in the financial services industry. Most of my travel is leisure.
Same here! I'm based in London, but travel back to Glasgow every weekend, self funded. Always leave it to the last minute so end up in a TP qualifying class - not exactly a cheap way to earn points! I try to take a flight somewhere into Europe at least once a month in reduced fare club, though, as it costs less than a domestic, economy flight, but earns twice as many points!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm afraid Finance is your best bet.

A lot of my friends who got "interesting" jobs (architecture, research scientist, journalism, advertising etc) are badly paid and miserable as they spend most of their time doing grunt work and never get let out. I do spend a fair amount of time in a dull office but I like my job.

And equally I spend a lot of time out of the office doing completely random things - e.g.

- seeing how a palm oil plantation works in Malaysia (they have owls!)
- Looking at housing in the Philippines (cheap!)
- Visiting electronics factories in Taiwan (that was dull actually)
- Meeting politicians in Indonesia (scary)
- Checking out models in Singapore (that was for someone's Christmas party as a favour)
- popping off to Beijing and Shanghai next month (just to check them out as I haven't been to China for four years)

I also have two homes and lots of flexibility over holidays which is nice.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MetalDoggy
I also have two homes and lots of flexibility over holidays which is nice.
But not two wives ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.