FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OT: occupation of BA FTers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/525812-ot-occupation-ba-fters.html)

The Saint Feb 13, 2006 2:17 am

Legal profession. And 99% of my travel is for holiday. :D

BAW845_Matt Feb 13, 2006 2:18 am

Finance? IT? Dear me, I'd die of boredom after a week of doing something like that. I'm not a suit-wearing or office-working sort of person.

Right now I'm in my final year of A Levels, but hopefully within the next 12 months I'll be at Dartmouth doing RN Officer training, with the aim of becoming a pilot or an observer.

anteo Feb 13, 2006 2:33 am

Restaurant Management. The only flying I get to do is my own :(

Raffles Feb 13, 2006 2:45 am

2) I am a student studying Politics (Bsc). What do you guys think are the best career options for me which would involve a lot of travelling, apart from the obvious. (diplomatic service)

Business travel is, generally, painful!

Leave the US and come to sunny Europe. Get yourself a well paid job with 25-30 days holiday per year (UK) up to 35 days per year (good old France and Germany). Forget that '10 days leave per year' nonsense in the US!

Spend the money from your well paid job on 5-6 weeks of overseas holidays per year. And think of all of those exciting weekends away you could have if you were based in Europe as well! You can probably fly to 20 different countries within 3 hours of London.

Swanhunter Feb 13, 2006 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Business travel is, generally, painful!.

Bloody hard work it is, but can - depending on where you go and how long - give you an insight into another country that just won't get by going there on holiday.

Originally Posted by Raffles
Leave the US and come to sunny Europe. Get yourself a well paid job with 25-30 days holiday per year (UK) up to 35 days per year (good old France and Germany). Forget that '10 days leave per year' nonsense in the US!

Spend the money from your well paid job on 5-6 weeks of overseas holidays per year. And think of all of those exciting weekends away you could have if you were based in Europe as well! You can probably fly to 20 different countries within 3 hours of London.

Sound advice!

BahrainLad Feb 13, 2006 3:01 am

"Trust me, I'm an adman."

chris18london Feb 13, 2006 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Simisqo
I have been reading posts on this forum for a couple of months and you guys seem very intelligent classy and well educated compared to AAnother forum. Out of curiousity:

1) I would like to know the most popular occupation of BA Fters that enables you guys to travel so widely.

When BA say they've locked in their Fuel purchasing at £45, we're the people who do the deals with them and other airlines ^

but i wanna be a pilot!

Originally Posted by Simisqo
2) I am a student studying Politics (Bsc). What do you guys think are the best career options for me which would involve a lot of travelling, apart from the obvious. (diplomatic service)

Thanks in advance

you could be my local MP.. i dread to think what his travel expenses are :td:

PhilH Feb 13, 2006 3:07 am

If you want a job that involves a lot of travel then you could try internal audit. Utterly boring and depressing job I'm afraid, but if you work for a multi-national company then travel can be good. This is how I got into the business travel thing. Also, IT guys seem to get good amounts of travel in my company (although they're mostly quite senior). That's the trouble, it's usually seniority that gets you the best travel, but by the time you're senior enough to travel frequently in business class, you rarely get any time to enjoy it.

And business travel is much over-hyped - certainly it's not all it's cracked up to be. I had the worst business trip ever at the end of last week, LHR-MUC-LHR, 1.5 hours late outbound, 3.5 hours late inbound. I'm just bored of getting on short-haul business trips now. Bored, bored, bored. Much better/nicer to maximise the use of your holidays and travel for leisure. ^

To add to the confessional, I'm a Chartered Accountant by the way, possibly an occupation with the worst reputation for dullness (not in my case of course :D ) that ever existed!

Dave_C Feb 13, 2006 3:13 am

IT Insultancy for a medium sized company.

Oakesy Feb 13, 2006 3:15 am

Pharma Industry

More Champagne Sir? Feb 13, 2006 3:27 am

Marketing in the IT sector

27R Feb 13, 2006 3:32 am

TV News producer. I can go months without a sniff of a trip anywhere, then find myself running out of the flat with a few clothes randomly thrown in a bag, flagging down a cab and heading for LHR, on the phone to our agents booking a J return to another continent to leave within the next couple of hours ("which terminal, mate?" "dunno yet, just head in the general direction"). It's a blast, but I can only really enjoy it with hindsight - way too much pressure while it's happening. And I can't really lay into the liquid refreshments - at least not on the outbound...! The last night away and the flight back is when it gets fun. That said, it can provide incredible travel experiences - albeit possibly a little more "extreme" than many tastes....

Most of our travel tends to be down the back (thanks to the unique way we're funded!), and when we do get away, we do tend to work long and hard. Our travel guidelines say £65 per night for a hotel room, which doesn't get much - although it does hone the repertoire of reasons why a cheap hotel wouldn't do on this particular occasion, and we're in a £100 a night room! We don't often get to sit down in a restaurant - 40 minutes max for a meal is normal, assuming you can find somewhere to eat right next to your location.

latitude Feb 13, 2006 3:40 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
That's the trouble, it's usually seniority that gets you the best travel, but by the time you're senior enough to travel frequently in business class, you rarely get any time to enjoy it.

Agreed. I have, what one would deem a fairly senior position in my company and do an average amount of travel. However, those above do a heck of a lot more, and TBH I'm not sure I'd want to.

The other end of the scale, IT engineers and "field" based positions also warrant a lot of travel. But, in these cases it's normally always Y (well it was in my day !). One seems to only get the luxuries of J, when you (a) either reach a senior position or (b) work in the lucrative finance industry where there is pots of cash :D

Teece Feb 13, 2006 3:44 am

Another IT Geek. Head office in BOS, so travel there once or twice a year, and also some guys located in BOM, where I hope to get to go later this year. Thanks to FT, I'm now banking miles to use for leisure ^

ojs555 Feb 13, 2006 3:47 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
"Trust me, I'm an adman."

Don't trust me, I'm a sys admin

P.S. Don't assume there's always a lot of travel in IT work. Especially if you work for BA!.. (The Data Centres are in the UK so there's not really a lot of need to travel abroad).

P.P.S. Remember that your degree has nothing to do with your eventual job role!