OT: occupation of BA FTers

Old Feb 16, 06, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Let's handover to Lucy...

Originally Posted by Martin Lukes Column
To: All.Staff/[email protected]
Subject: Work/Life Balance Week

Hallo everyone! I'm sure I don't need to remind you that next week is national Work/Life Balance Week! This year we are going to celebrate in style, and prove that when it comes to balance we are second to none! Special features will include

* Breakfast at 7.30am on Monday with the UK's number one stress guru, Professor Gary Copper. He is going to tell us how stress is this country's biggest killer, and share with us his 101 hottest stress-busting tips.

* On Tuesday we are also going to repeat last year's enormously successful Go Home on Time Day. However, we plan to make it even better by rolling it out across all departments, and posting a black list of co-workers who do not leave on time!

* I am also delighted to say that we shall be offering all co-workers an online grocery service. This will remove one of life's great stressors by allowing you to shop from your desk (outside normal working hours, please!!). Anyone willing to road test the service plse message me!

Cheers, Faith

To: [email protected]
Subject: Shopping

Hi, Faith. Count me in as a shopping guinea pig. I'm a great believer in work/life balance - and would love to do something for the cause! As I often do the shopping in our household, this is going to be a great time-saver for me.

Best, Martin

Subject: Shopping list

Jens - I've told Faith I'll be a guinea pig for the grocery scheme, and have got her eating out of my hand. Anything we need grocery-wise?? M

Subject: Project ABC Learning Strategy

Hallo everyone! All of you will have by now received an invitation to attend Module One of Project ABC Learning Strategy. This will consist of an interactive 12-hour accelerated learning session, which will demonstrate how we divide our people into three unique talent streams - A, B and C. It is vital that everybody attends at the stated time. Please rearrange your schedules to ensure you can participate.

All my very bestest, Keith

Subject: Awards

I am pleased to inform all staff that a-b glbl (UK) has been shortlisted for the BT Creative Company Award. This highly prestigious award is granted every year to the company with the most uniquely creative approach to Work/ Life Balance Week.

I would like to congratulate Faith and her team in personnel for working around the clock to produce a world-class entry. This represents another exemplar of how we at a-b glbl (UK) lead the field in providing best-practice solutions across the board.

Roger Wright, Acting Chairman.

Subject: Modification to W/L B week

Hallo everyone There are two minor amendments to our plans for next week. Gary Copper informs me that due to excessive work pressures next week he needs to bring the breakfast forward to 6am.

I have also been informed that many of you have a Project ABC training session next week, and so will not be able to leave work on time. Therefore we are moving the day forward to tomorrow. Apologies for the last-minute notice, but please do all you can to leave on time, and make the day a big success!

I'd also like to update you on a pre-breakfast brainstorm I had this morning with Paul Robins, head of communications at BT. He's deeply impressed with our work/life policies here and hinted to me in private that we've got a good chance of winning!

Cheers, Faith

Subject: Urgent

Can somebody come down NOW and help me get my computer linked up to this supermarket thing. The screen keeps freezing. Urgent.

Subject: ???????????????????????

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU MEAN - YOU'RE GOING HOME??? I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WERE THE HELP DESK. I DON'T CARE IF IT'S 5.30. I'M A DIRECTOR OF THIS COMPANY SO GET DOWN HERE AT ONCE!!!!
Copyright Financial Times group
Old Feb 16, 06, 5:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by ian001

Brilliant! Thank you! ^

Still, consulting seems interesting. After all, it doesn't have to be Big 4/Big 5.

There are some much smaller outfits that are much more interesting. And that get to travel more because they have less offices to send people from.
Old Feb 16, 06, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by ian001

Would be funny if it weren't actually frighteningly true...

My last job that I left (smaller, "interesting" consultancy) was just beginning to introduce "breakfast meetings" as I left... Still, 18 months ago, I BELIEVE these meetings were starting at 8am (so not quite 6am). Although I did hear of our Central London colleagues holding "breakfast meetings" (8am) knowing full well that consultants from the Bristol area were attending the meeting...

Consultancy can offer great opportunities, but often at quite a price and - to be completely honest - I certainly wasn't paid nearly enough for the grief when I worked as one (I think the graduate starting salary was 17k in 1997, raised to about 23k after 6 months). Assume the starting salary is quite a bit higher now.

Boo
Old Feb 17, 06, 1:26 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
... All my travel was within the UK and I wouldn't call 4 months living in a hotel in Watford as glamourous... .
Boo
I would - it's all relative . I've spent 4 weeks in a hotel in Hartlepool in Jan / Feb and compared to that, 4 months in Watford would be the height of luxury.
Old Feb 17, 06, 2:40 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Originally Posted by PhilH
Rich tossers though.
That's the Partners. My comment was directed at the "would be" Partners. There was one in particular who would probably have wiped a Partners backside if he thought it would have improved his chances of making Partner.

At the time I left the work/life balance thing was (supposedly) high on the "People" priority list. They were trying to work towards a 5-4-3 policy. Basically it meant 5 days billing, 4 days on the client site and 3 nights away from home. It had little chance of success. If clients were paying for 5 days they expect you on site for 5 days.

On a number of projects (especially those in mainland Europe) I had to fly EDI-LHR-XXX on a Sunday night and didn't get back until late Friday. It was 5-5-5 for me.
Old Feb 17, 06, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Gaza
At the time I left the work/life balance thing was (supposedly) high on the "People" priority list. They were trying to work towards a 5-4-3 policy. Basically it meant 5 days billing, 4 days on the client site and 3 nights away from home. It had little chance of success. If clients were paying for 5 days they expect you on site for 5 days.
I remember that! Now you mentioned it, it was being introduced JUST as I left...

Management Consultancy is GENERALLY seen as a short term career: people either:
- get fed-up of the lifestyle and leave
- don't continue on the onwards and upwards - hugely ambitious - path and get booted out
- get booted out due to internal politics
- get "burnt out" or have a heart-attack

I remember seeing a couple of heavily pregnant women within the firm: they were continuing to work until they drop and then planned to be back (on client site) about 6 weeks later A LOT of ambition around the place.

Boo
(thinks BOH needs councilling... )
Old Feb 17, 06, 3:17 pm

Location: Reading, Cambridge & Edinburgh, UK, Sunnyvale, CA and Philadelphia, PA
Programs: Top Gear
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Consultancy can offer great opportunities, but often at quite a price and - to be completely honest - I certainly wasn't paid nearly enough for the grief when I worked as one (I think the graduate starting salary was 17k in 1997, raised to about 23k after 6 months). Assume the starting salary is quite a bit higher now.
For the group I looked at, 28k in 2002. I ended up doing work related to the vocational side of my degree, but I do regret not having the consultancy life for the years straight out of university.
Old Feb 17, 06, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by timthorn
For the group I looked at, 28k in 2002. I ended up doing work related to the vocational side of my degree, but I do regret not having the consultancy life for the years straight out of university.
It's probably not a bad lifestyle if you are young, free and single with no commitments... . Being freshly married (3 months) and a keen sportsperson, it isn't so suitable...

28k sounds about right now - pretty good for a graduate, but then they do demand their pound of flesh for it (you will earn every penny of it).

Boo
Old Feb 18, 06, 9:27 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Current occupations include
Professional independent tinkicker.

Aluminium jigsaw management.

Investigator of spotwelding events.

Prevention of environmental destruction in terms of very loud bangs, fuel contamination of random areas, forest fires and unauthorised quarrying activities using Boeing and Airbus products.

Professional discussions with a certain BA Board member in relation to chopping up and cooking of birds.

FT humourist (very badly paid) and writer of stand up/radio comedy scripts (badly paid) and after dinner speeches (no such thing as a free lunch, but if you sing for your supper.....)

Failed occupations
Gigolo (I failed the oral entrance exam)
Spy
Model

Current preoccupations
FNPMS and other single women.
Wishing Pucci would give me a hug.

Travel
worst years have seen 318 flights, 22 London-Australia returns, 76,000 miles in a month, 4 days only eating on aircraft, 5 gold cards all earnt and so on.

Travel policy depends on the type of work. Very urgent travel is get on the next aircraft with whatever seat is available, including crew jumpseats. Normal travel is 1W but class depends on thing such as:
Sales presentations, presentations to industry and media appearances, Y
Client paying, Y or J
Being clever with 1W RTW route and point of origin, F.

Oh good, I will really enjoy the next 6 weeks with 3 long haul Y trips to Indonesia, New Zealand and South America. Still, all part of the job...
Old Feb 19, 06, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat, Swiss Gold, Marriott Gold
Back to the original question - Financial services, Big 4 firm...

Usual policies - J if over 4 hours, Y otherwise but a reasonable amount of flexibility and pragmatism.
Old Feb 19, 06, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA-Gold,KLM-PE,LH-Senator
Regional CFO, world leaded FMCG

Can choose/fly anything I want up to 'D' discounted Business
Average at least 1 L/H a month & move between LH, BA & AF depending on which one p**ssed me off on the last flight
Old Feb 23, 06, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver. AA EXP.
VP Financial services. Almost all transatlantic and average once every six weeks or so sometimes more. J but if on AA tend to end up in first fairly often.
Old Feb 23, 06, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by spotwelder
worst years have seen 318 flights, 22 London-Australia returns, 76,000 miles in a month, 4 days only eating on aircraft, 5 gold cards all earnt and so on.
I said this before and I'll say it again - this man is my God. ^

Whenever I think that I have the best job in the world (which is usually after the first cocktail at Park Hyatt Tokyo when jazz is played or when the lady at the gate gives me a new boarding pass), I always remember there is spotwelder out there...

4 days only eating on aircraft - not bad. I used to work in publishing and there was this publication that needed signing off for printing and it all went horribly wrong (these were the days of transparencies and colour separation on plastic), so we spent 72 hours without sleep at a printing house in Helsinki eating just pizzas. Give me an aircraft meal any day
Old Feb 24, 06, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Mechanical engineer - oil refining
Old Feb 24, 06, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Finance (Actuarial Consultancy).

aha, at least there's someone else on willing to admit to being an actuary! ^

my travel is pretty much all leisure though, unless you count the GNER Time card...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: