Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letter from BA RE: BA Connect

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Letter from BA RE: BA Connect

I've just got a letter from BA about BA Connect. I won't quote the whole thing because it's mostly general advertising stuff on their "new streamlined service".

I thought I would mention though that it does say "Schedules remain unaffected, and you can earn 20 Executive Club Tier Points and BA Miles each way on eligible fares."

That's something at least. Not too bmi-ish either.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I got one of these letters. And my first thought was - why are you launching a low-cost airline by sending an expensive mailshot to a few hundred thousand people whose email addresses you already have on file?!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
I've just got a letter from BA about BA Connect. I won't quote the whole thing because it's mostly general advertising stuff on their "new streamlined service".

I thought I would mention though that it does say "Schedules remain unaffected, and you can earn 20 Executive Club Tier Points and BA Miles each way on eligible fares."

That's something at least. Not too bmi-ish either.
I got this yesterday as well. I like the way it also mentions the fact that they are "replacing complimentary onboard catering with a wider selection of delicious hot or cold snacks and drinks for purchase from a carefully selected menu"

Means no more short hops to EU from BRS or BHX for me...disappointing.

I wonder how long the regional BA lounges will stay open for now...18 months and I bet they'll be gone. One can see BA want to centralise operations from LHR and LGW.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by latitude
One can see BA want to centralise operations from LHR and LGW.

Not LHR and LGW. LHR only, I think.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:38 am
Suspended

It also stated bonus Executive Club tier points and bonus BA Miles will no longer be available on these services.

1. I was never aware that bonus BA Tier Points were ever awarded
2. Does this refer to elite status bonuses, or to cabin bonuses

Could have generally been worded more clearly.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:01 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
surely, to properly streamline, they should just start from scratch, with a few surplus planes hanging about, and call it 'Go-again' or something, with only minimal ties to BA.

These lcc's are mature, vicious beasts, & are probably laughing their heads off at how this is being run, now it's apparently in direct competition.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by simon_n10
Not LHR and LGW. LHR only, I think.
From this page it looks at least as if two class service is safe from Gatwick (and London City)

"The BA Connect product will operate from UK regional airports. British Airways services at London City, Heathrow and Gatwick**, will continue to offer complimentary food on all routes and a Club Europe cabin on the European network.

* Only available on selected ticket types.
** With the exception of the Gatwick-Inverness and Gatwick-Isle of Man services, which are operated by BA Connect."
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by tristan727
surely, to properly streamline, they should just start from scratch, with a few surplus planes hanging about, and call it 'Go-again' or something
...or how about 'Go Around'?!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am still hoping for an LBA flight whether it be regional on BA Connect or mainline to LHR. It just seems stupid that BA are letting BMI rule the roost on what is one of BMI's most profitable routes.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:55 am

I'm expected to accept the change from a poor full service airline in the regions to a BA Connect flexible ticket that you can bet will be as expensive as a club fare from heathrow to the same destination. The onboard root around for £1.50 for a coffee then find another £3 27 for a dried out chocolate muffin whilst sitting in row 19 on a stuffy barbie jet. Then 20 points limited mileage and be grateful......erm no BA sorry.

My agent is in touch with other airlines in the Manchester area who are using the latest changes to entice BA card holders to ditch their loyalty and move for matching status......Yep suits me......please.

If BA looked at the effect Bmi had on Manchester dropping business they would surely think again. My own view on all of this is that it's a death to be dragged out over two years in the hope the business traffic will move to the shuttle and Heathrow.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
"... and you can earn 20 Executive Club Tier Points and BA Miles each way on eligible fares."...
Can? Eligible? Weasel words!

Sounds like a can of worms to me.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
From this page it looks at least as if two class service is safe from Gatwick (and London City)

[/i]
for now, yes..
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
"The BA Connect product will operate from UK regional airports. British Airways services at London City, Heathrow and Gatwick**, will continue to offer complimentary food on all routes and a Club Europe cabin on the European network.

* Only available on selected ticket types.
** With the exception of the Gatwick-Inverness and Gatwick-Isle of Man services, which are operated by BA Connect."
But this is not what the letter to which Matt refers says - that just mentions that services from Heathrow and Gatwick are unaffected.

I think that I'll keep that letter - should make my complaint about the lack of catering on our LGW-IOM flight in April generate a few extra miles

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Jan 17, 2006 at 8:33 am Reason: how can UBB coding be so tricky ?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
...or how about 'Go Around'?!
I think 'Go Away' would be most appropriate
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by latitude
I got this yesterday as well. I like the way it also mentions the fact that they are "replacing complimentary onboard catering with a wider selection of delicious hot or cold snacks and drinks for purchase from a carefully selected menu"

Means no more short hops to EU from BRS or BHX for me...disappointing.

I wonder how long the regional BA lounges will stay open for now...18 months and I bet they'll be gone. One can see BA want to centralise operations from LHR and LGW.
I received it in an e-mail, from the Euro marketing whatever director person.

I personally prefer the idea of food-for-purchase on short-haul flights, especially seeing as practically no short-haul operation these days provides anything except plastic or at best something even my hamster would sneer at in economy. And quite frankly, in my opinion, the food served in CE (when I fly it and hearing from others) is just short of rubbish and serves only to prevent one from going hungry.

But... not being a regular in CE and so not getting food, I already find myself purchasing sandwiches beforehand anyway. And then I can choose what I want, rather than having stuff thrown at me.

It seems very sensible to offer a wider selection of better quality foods, especially if it means the base fare can go lower without sacrificing service standards.

Maybe some sort of pre-pay scheme could be implemented. At booking, one "pre-orders" the food. Onboard, one can use the money to purchase whatever, thus eliminating the hassle of exchanging currency or fiddling with card transactions onboard. (Handy on the short hops to AMS, CDG etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.