Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA won't check luggage through with OW partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER, AEROPLAN back of the bus

To get from YYZ to DUB I got 2 tickets; BA YYZ-LHR and EI LHR-DUB. No stopover. BA in YYZ said because they were separate tickets they could not check my luggage all the way to DUB.

However.... on the outbound journey, EI in DUB had no problem checking my luggage through to YYZ.

Anyone know why these "partners" can be 100% different in dealing with this luggage/separate tickets issue?
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by toothpick
To get from YYZ to DUB I got 2 tickets; BA YYZ-LHR and EI LHR-DUB. No stopover. BA in YYZ said because they were separate tickets they could not check my luggage all the way to DUB.

However.... on the outbound journey, EI in DUB had no problem checking my luggage through to YYZ.

Anyone know why these "partners" can be 100% different in dealing with this luggage/separate tickets issue?
Hi toothpick,

I had thought that whilst if you were on a non-ow connecting flight BA would probably not transfer your bags unless on the same ticket, if the separate ticket was a OW partner then BA would probalby do it ( maybe the agent was having an off day?)

Merry Christmas.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I have managed to Interline from AC to BA PBI-YYZ-LHR -- no problem, all I had to do was give BA the bag tag numbers from the stubs and then they put them into their system.

I am suprised that BA wont do it---
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:51 am

BA policy is to interline with other oneworld carriers if you are within the MCT.

So, the agent at YYZ was wrong (so long as the connection was valid).
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamespvg
BA policy is to interline with other oneworld carriers if you are within the MCT.

Thanks - I figured it had to be that way. How would you recommend I remostrate with BA for all the inconveniance' and that I missed my connection due to having to pick up luggage and haul it to T1.....
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes. Just how wrong can be seen from the AskBA answer which I found and quoted in this recent thread, which is obviously something worth printing out and taking with you if you're ever going to ask BA to interline bags from BA to other OW on two different tix.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
slightly unrelated to the above, but I was quite impressed on a recent trip back from Perth when the QF agent managed to check my bag PER - SIN - LHR - MAN - IOM and it actually made it all the way to IOM. The trip was on 2 separate bookings (both BA but SIN and LHR leg was operated by QF) and the agent had never heard of IOM and didnt sound too confident himself "Sir, next time you will see your bag will be in IOM ........." (or never I thought at the time).

anyway, I survived my first post having been reading for a few weeks but never posting......
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
EI does appear to be acting as a low cost airline these days if OW partners are not willing to interline with it.

Is the writing on the wall ?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
EI does appear to be acting as a low cost airline these days if OW partners are not willing to interline with it.

Is the writing on the wall ?
But it's BA who aren't interlining with EI. As the posted noted - EI were happy to check baggage through.

Though taking the 'rules' as correct it seems that it was simply a case of an unhelpful agent.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by phillipas
Though taking the 'rules' as correct it seems that it was simply a case of an unhelpful agent.
The rules are definitely current and correct.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!

Not if the first sector with AC was all on the same ticket (i.e not separate tickets)
Old Dec 27, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by toothpick

The agent was wrong... as simple as that. It doesnt matter if they are separate tickets, its another oneworld airline. It would have made a difference if it was air canada.

BA have an interline agreement with EI
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
Had exactly the same problem last Sept with BA in Bos - separate LHR-DUB ticket- the agent gave me exactly same spiel - separate ticket blah blah ...knew I wouldn't make the connect - insisted on speaking to the supervisor - as soonas i explained she said "absolutely no problem" ..wonder if the regular agents don't realise that EI is in OW???
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keatm1
Had exactly the same problem last Sept with BA in Bos - separate LHR-DUB ticket- the agent gave me exactly same spiel - separate ticket blah blah ...knew I wouldn't make the connect - insisted on speaking to the supervisor - as soonas i explained she said "absolutely no problem" ..wonder if the regular agents don't realise that EI is in OW???
Update from when I started this thread: I e-mailed a complaint to customer relations and to my utter astonishment I got a reply within hours! ^ They said they were wrong, my baggage should have been checked through to DUB, and they were very apologetic. That's it. But no points salve for the stress and inconvenience suffreed.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
BA wouldn't interline our bags CPT-LHR-SNN last September, thus we had to do the dreaded tunnel trek between T4 and T1. Methinks a great number of BA agents are misinformed. Or maybe their supervisors are inadequately trained?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.