Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anybody tell me

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spotwelder
You might want to consider the AA Platinum challenge as opposed to BAEC if you are resident in Canada. Ask the members at AAnother PlAAce about it.
thanx, but i don't like AA.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by $The_Real_G$
hmmmmm, 200 GBP = 400 CAD. it doesn't seem that bad but isn't WT+ and economy pretty much the same thing? sure you get a little more leg room but is it really worth spending $400 just for that?
No, it's more than that. (This isn't UA, remember!) The seat is also wider - 8-abreast rather than 10-abreast in a 747 - and is completely different. Much more comfortable, in my opinion. Moreover, it's a separate cabin which has a distinctly different atmosphere, rather calmer and more sophistcated than the tension and excitement of normal Y. On top of that, there are some minor service tweaks as well.
thanx, but i don't like AA.
You don't have to like AA the AAirline, this is only a means of acquiring points to use on free flights. You don't ever have to fly AA, really.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by spotwelder
You might want to consider the AA Platinum challenge as opposed to BAEC if you are resident in Canada. Ask the members at AAnother PlAAce about it.
Actually, can i suggest the OP doesn't ask at AA? There is a tonne of stuff in various threads about the Plat Challenge, he'd be better off searching (try the sticky as well) - just going in and asking will likely attract a pretty negative response if he hasn't done a basic search - it's kind of like the people coming on here and asking about upgrades when they've never flown BA before...light blue touch paper and step back

It's also not about what airlines you like/dislike - if AA would be better for earning the miles in this case, then it may be the way forward. You don't have to redeem the flight on AA either.... But also depends if you are more interested in earning miles or earning status - the Platinum Challenge may get you some extra miles, but is a quick way to earn status. But you wouldn't be able to credit your EK miles to AA, so for me, that wouldn't be the way forward. To find an airline programme which would let you credit both, it would have to be JAL - it's the only one which overlaps with both BA and EK. This might not be a bad idea - JAL is joining oneworld, once it does, you should be able to get oneworld awards transatlantic. But i couldn't find any of the routes you are wanting to fly listed in the eligible routes but I'm not sure if this is an exhaustive list - for more details see http://www.jal.co.jp/jalmile/euro_e/flight_.html
Old Nov 24, 2005, 7:39 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Duh, reply posted in wrong thread

Last edited by BOH; Nov 24, 2005 at 8:53 am
Old Nov 24, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold • AA Gold [1MM] • SPG Gold
I am just thinking out loud here, but I think you have a few options:

1. YVR - YYZ - DEL on AC (Air Canada)
2. YVR - HKG - DEL on CX (Cathay Pacific)
3. YVR - FRA - DEL on LH (Lufthansa)
4. YVR - JFK on Air Canada (with a UA flight number), then connect on EK from JFK - DXB - DEL. you can collect all the miles in a UA MP account, although none will count towards status.

Either way, I think you have a number of options to earn and retain points in one mileage programme. It really depends on what class you will be fling (I assume Y), and the class of your ticket.

Good luck, and have a nice trip - Dubai is a wonderful place; I hope you get to stop there on your way there/back!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
One other thing to consider would be a OneWorld Explorer Round the World ticket.

There's plenty of info on this in the OneWorld forum...

It would let you fly from YVR to DXB (via LHR, or LHR and HEL), give you a free stop in Russia, the Canary Islands, or wherver, then let you stop in Japan and Hongkong or India or whatever, before giving you a free stopover in the Dominican Republic, or Bermuda, or Costa Rica, or ALaska on your way back to YVR.

It may cost a little more, but the options available to you really are endless... you could use the ticket just to go to India if you wished, then return to Seattle, (instead of YVR), and leave yourself with at least 5 more flights in North America to use within a year.

Also, planned well, this ticket can earn you well enough miles for a free trans-atlantic flight, as well as Platinum Status, with or without the Platinum Challenge.

Read the Stickys on the OneWorld Forum for more info.

Checkerboard
Old Nov 24, 2005, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
One other thing to consider would be a OneWorld Explorer Round the World ticket.

There's plenty of info on this in the OneWorld forum...

It would let you fly from YVR to DXB (via LHR, or LHR and HEL), give you a free stop in Russia, the Canary Islands, or wherver, then let you stop in Japan and Hongkong or India or whatever, before giving you a free stopover in the Dominican Republic, or Bermuda, or Costa Rica, or ALaska on your way back to YVR.

It may cost a little more, but the options available to you really are endless... you could use the ticket just to go to India if you wished, then return to Seattle, (instead of YVR), and leave yourself with at least 5 more flights in North America to use within a year.

Also, planned well, this ticket can earn you well enough miles for a free trans-atlantic flight, as well as Platinum Status, with or without the Platinum Challenge.

Read the Stickys on the OneWorld Forum for more info.

Checkerboard
Be careful here. Correct me if I am wrong - LONEs (Economy Class Round the World) earn only 25% of mileage in the BA program.

The OP is 19. If he's (or she) cash rich then by all means he should choose BAEC. If he's cash poor, I agree with those who suggest AAdvantage would be more suitable.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
also depends if you are more interested in earning miles or earning status - the Platinum Challenge may get you some extra miles, but is a quick way to earn status.
i am interested in earning miles. so i can fly a free transatlantic flight.

what do you mean by "earning status"?

Originally Posted by AAmerican_in_London
1. YVR - YYZ - DEL on AC (Air Canada)
2. YVR - HKG - DEL on CX (Cathay Pacific)
3. YVR - FRA - DEL on LH (Lufthansa)
4. YVR - JFK on Air Canada (with a UA flight number), then connect on EK from JFK - DXB - DEL. you can collect all the miles in a UA MP account, although none will count towards status.
Good luck, and have a nice trip - Dubai is a wonderful place; I hope you get to stop there on your way there/back
here's the thing, i don't want to fly air canada because they don't have PTVs.
i don't want to fly cathay pacific because i wasn't impressed with their service. lufthansa is alright, but not one of my favourites.
i only want to fly british airways & emirates airlines.
and thanx, i love dubai. there's no place like dubai, that's fo sho

Originally Posted by Imperial Special
The OP is 19. If he's (or she) cash rich then by all means he should choose BAEC. If he's cash poor, I agree with those who suggest AAdvantage would be more suitable.
okay, now that i've read some of the comments here, here's what i've decided.
i'm interested in earning miles. although i'm not sure what "earning status" means...
i want to join JAL's program but
i want to fly BA in WT+ from YVR - LHR.
i want to fly EK in economy from LHR - DXB - DEL.
same deal with return.
is that possible?
and, when would the be the best time to book online? i'm a student. i don't wanna pay 4 billion dollars just for the ticket. anything under $2500 CAD is acceptable.

Last edited by $The_Real_G$; Nov 24, 2005 at 3:15 pm
Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
what do you mean by "earning status"?
Status as in a higher-tier membership level. BA Silver or BA Gold, for example.

For some of us, status (and the concomitant perks) is much more important than miles for free tickets. That's why we ask the question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.