Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin service in order of status on CE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Cabin service in order of status on CE?

In my experience the food service within CE consists of the cabin crew proceeding through each cabin with a trolley, serving passengers in row order.

I was on a flight between ZUR and LGW last week in CE. Instead of using a trolley, the purser decided to serve each passenger individually, returning to the galley each time to obtain a tray and bringing it to the passenger’s seat.

This seemed to be done in order of status, or least it looked that way. A passenger in row 3 was served first, then my colleague in row 3 (who is AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald), then the very well-to-do woman next to me in row 4 (BA Gold?), then someone else in row 3, then me (BA Silver), then the two people in row 1, one person in row 2, and final two passengers in row 4.

Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen it many times in CW, but never in CE. I can understand why it necessary when a particular meal choice could run out, but in CE everyone gets the same! (the same boring fish! )
Old Oct 31, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
I have heard of it but not seen it but it is little touches like this that cost nothing but can make all the difference. Not that a non status pax is any less valued as in this example but nice to recognise frequent travellers.

Also it is much more civilised to be served from the galley than from a metal trolley pushed down the aisle. This really shows when you have crew who are happy to make the effort to make the service a bit more special than usual and is really an area that can make a difference for those of us who get so picky about falling standards.

There are loads of examples on many of the Asian Airline Boards where things have been done, at no cost, but still add value.

And for CE it is so hard to make it seem worth the extra cost that anything helps!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Not heard of it either. I took a CE flight to FRA today and the cabin was about 25% full. The crew managed tea/coffee with limited catering, but it was done, front>rear of the cabin.

However, a great touch I've not seen in a long time in CE was the Purser referred to me and (I guess another gold) by name all the time - excellent attention to detail ^
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
I had that on a recent trip back from BUD. Don't think my partner was referred to by name and didn't nosey in to other crew/pax conversations so maybe it is a Gold thing that they make the effort to be more personal.

Originally Posted by latitude
Not heard of it either. I took a CE flight to FRA today and the cabin was about 25% full. The crew managed tea/coffee with limited catering, but it was done, front>rear of the cabin.

However, a great touch I've not seen in a long time in CE was the Purser referred to me and (I guess another gold) by name all the time - excellent attention to detail ^
Old Oct 31, 2005, 6:21 pm

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Originally Posted by Aerotec
There are loads of examples on many of the Asian Airline Boards where things have been done, at no cost, but still add value.
Happens occasionally on your ow partner CX. The CSD came up to me right after take-off last week and asked for my preference for dinner as she was worried there weren't enough of all choices. Was also served first.

Nice touch, but only happens rarely in my experience.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:16 am

It happened to me last month on a LGW - JER CE flight. However they seemed to serve in reverse! I was a Blue Op-Up and I got served first. All the trays came straight from the galley too - no trolley.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
JER is one of those flights where the crew don't seem to have time to visit the metaphorical bathroom. There probably was no rhyme or reason to it.

I flew there earlier in the year and with the cabin all but full in CE (apart from 1C next to me ) it was served starboard side in row 1, then port side in row 1, starboard side in row 2 etc...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
And for CE it is so hard to make it seem worth the extra cost that anything helps!
Right!...banned for a week for such blasphemy!

Originally Posted by brightstar100
... then my colleague in row 3 (who is AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald), then the very well-to-do woman next to me in row 4 (BA Gold?)....
I'd like to think it would be the other way around on BA.....

Recently the general trend has been serving from the galley each individual tray, firstly accompanied by a brief request whether the individual would like breakfast/lunch/dinner before actually being given the tray.

In terms of order of status, very rarely happened - maybe once or twice on GBAirways when I have been surround by OPUP staff...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Not seen this really happen, but I have been (quite rightly) served last as an OpUp in CE once which was fair enoug. What I have seen is special meals come out first from the galley then (depending on the load/how good the Purser is) the rest of the meals be served from the galley after that. Maybe some/all of these were specials to start off with?

Phil
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I would find it rather embarrasing if the meals were served by status.... imagine all the eyes staring at the last person served (the non-OW status upgrade person)....
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:53 am

could have been that there were a few upgrades or staff into club. if there were i would serve passengers in order so that the oneswho paid for club get the choice.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brightstar100
In my experience the food service within CE consists of the cabin crew proceeding through each cabin with a trolley, serving passengers in row order.

I was on a flight between ZUR and LGW last week in CE. Instead of using a trolley, the purser decided to serve each passenger individually, returning to the galley each time to obtain a tray and bringing it to the passenger’s seat.

This seemed to be done in order of status, or least it looked that way. A passenger in row 3 was served first, then my colleague in row 3 (who is AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald), then the very well-to-do woman next to me in row 4 (BA Gold?), then someone else in row 3, then me (BA Silver), then the two people in row 1, one person in row 2, and final two passengers in row 4.

Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen it many times in CW, but never in CE. I can understand why it necessary when a particular meal choice could run out, but in CE everyone gets the same! (the same boring fish! )
I experienced this last Thursday on a ABZ-LHR evening flight. Ended up being served last despite being in seat 3D, as a result 2 of the 3 options on offer had run out and had to make to with a salad.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Had a brilliant experience last summer on a QR operated BA flight EDI-LHR. Pre departure drink and menus (for brekkie) delivered in order of boarding but orders taken (after doors closed) in order of status it appeared by the zig zagging across the cabin. Me being a lowly Rust at the time! The fixed cabin size obviously helped but status passengers (even Bronze) were asked how they would like to be addressed, seemed non status got sir or madam.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:50 pm

I have heard of it but not seen it but it is little touches like this that cost nothing but can make all the difference. Not that a non status pax is any less valued as in this example but nice to recognise frequent travellers.
Personally, I'd consider it crass, but I guess there's money to be made in stroking egos.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by cauchy
Personally, I'd consider it crass, but I guess there's money to be made in stroking egos.
That's a reply to a comment almost 13 years ago
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.